Skip to content

"Maybe this time" [NO-RELOAD THREAD]: "The Tale of TEN THOUSAND Trials"

Comments

• Corey_RussellCorey_Russell Member Posts: 996
    @Grond0 You got power gaming down to a science! You know, my group never had access to web, which completely changes things. And I notice it almost seems to the most cast spell you have, at least by your write-up.
    Wise_Grimwald
  • ArthasArthas Member Posts: 1,091
    @Corey_Russell where do you buy the throwing axes? Are there enchanted ones? Do you use mods to add these in the game?
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,305

@Grond0 You got power gaming down to a science! You know, my group never had access to web, which completely changes things. And I notice it almost seems to the most cast spell you have, at least by your write-up.

@Corey_Russell it's a great spell, but I've not used it a lot and never in a situation where pure druid alternatives couldn't have been used instead. For most encounters the shapeshifter either melees directly or acts as a moving target while the others do the necessary damage (usually with missiles, but lightning / insects are available for targets immune to missiles). Totemic summons have only been used a few times so far, but they could deal with nearly all opponents on their own if necessary. The only spells used at all frequently so far are CLW to top up HPs.

Arthas said:

@Corey_Russell where do you buy the throwing axes? Are there enchanted ones? Do you use mods to add these in the game?

@Arthas infinite throwing axes (and some +1 ones) are for sale at the Thunderhammer Smithy in Beregost (in unmodded BGEE).
    Wise_GrimwaldCorey_RussellArthas
    edited August 2018
    Thoughts about my 2 berserker + 3 kensai run so far - even though by their kit descriptions Kensais are supposed to be the greatest swordsmen, more or less, I find it isn't working out that way in practice. What I mean is, occasionally I will send a Kensai into melee, only for 1/2 his health to drop in a single swipe of an enemy. I find my Kensais are better off throwing daggers and axes every where, and let the berserkers melee...
    Wise_GrimwaldAerakarStummvonBordwehrCrevsDaak
  • Wise_GrimwaldWise_Grimwald Member Posts: 3,848
    edited August 2018
    @OlvynChuru Things certainly did go horribly wrong. RIP Dynaheir and Xan.

Firehelm has just thrashed the Ice Island and Werewolf island. Tenya had to be raised after being killed by the werewolf at Ulgoth's Beard.

Now at the Ulcaster ruins just finished.

EDIT

The only problem arose when the beast of Ulcaster howled and Sirene panicked. She then set off a trap harming most of the party. The party were still able to prevail, but I was worried that she might set off another trap or run into another enemy. She didn't. The party exited and rested before returning. They needn't have bothered there was only one werewolf and a trap left. Imoen used invisibility to disarm the trap and after that the party dealt with the werewolf easily.

The party has now entered the area under Gullykin. They have rescued Indira and left her outside in the village where she should be safe. At her current level she isn't any use to the party.
    Post edited by Wise_Grimwald on
    Grond0OlvynChuruStummvonBordwehrCrevsDaak
  • ArctodusArctodus Member Posts: 992
    @Grond0 Oh god, it took me a while, but I just got your Getafix reference. I’m french and he’s named Panoramix in the original version. Good one ! :D
    Grond0Gate70lroumenCrevsDaak
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    I was thinking the same thing :)
    Grond0ArctodusCrevsDaak
  • Wise_GrimwaldWise_Grimwald Member Posts: 3,848
    Firehelm and his friends finished the Gullykin quests though decided not to enter the second dungeon at the Firewine Bridge until some research has been done.

He has a problem in that he has no soultaker dagger. It wasn't on the Demonknight's body.

I am assuming that this is a bug and not a change in EE or one made by a mod.
    Arctodus said:

Since I didn't find any scroll on his body, I only then remembered that the scroll was in the cart. Ugh. I took it, went invisible while wearing my Cloak of Non-Detection to avoid their True Sight.

It's in the cart, but I don't think he'll let you pick it up from there without attacking or talking to him (you can intimidate him into co-operating). You do have to kill him pretty quickly (about 2 rounds I think) to avoid the camp going hostile. If that does happen I've found the Flaming Fist will eventually appear in your support, but there are a lot of variables in what can happen in this area - so I'm not sure if the Fist will appear irrespective or if there are specific triggers for that.
    Wise_GrimwaldArctodusAerakar
    @Grond0 said... (In update 1, 1st sentence)

Early on the monks didn't bother with any summons, but just ran things around while shooting them.

Is that why your druids seem to be doing better than my fighter/druids? You play your druids like monks, lol.
    Well - looking at my notes I see I've had 66 attempts with a party of monks, so I suppose my brain cells are probably a bit hard-wired to refer to those B).
    Corey_RussellWise_GrimwaldCrevsDaak
    edited August 2018
    Wow, 66 attempts - even my favorite class (paladins), only done all paladin parties like 7-8 runs of those. Of course, some of your monk runs were SCS, so no suprise you might need extra attempts...
    Wise_GrimwaldCrevsDaak
    edited August 2018
    A lot of those runs have been both completionist and aiming for zero deaths - and monks die pretty easily in BG1 ...
    Corey_RussellWise_Grimwald
    @Enuhal said...
    "...bunch of scrolls from Shandalar (very risky, I know. Shouldn't have done that, propably)."

Seems reasonable to me. If the entire party is near the area exit, and you put fire resistance on the thief/bard who is doing the pick-pocketing, then I would say there is little risk. In vanilla, I think he fires off two fireballs and then runs away. But if you have a number of arcane party members, the scrolls could be a big help, as there so few level 4+ arcane scrolls available before Chapter 5.
    Wise_GrimwaldEnuhalCrevsDaakStummvonBordwehr