Skip to content

EEKeeper crashes when loading a save

I'm trying to edit my half-elf cleric/ranger to a cleric/stalker and decided to give EEKeeper a shot. I set the directories for the game and everything and it shows my save, but when I try to load it, it immediately crashes. Any idea what could cause this? Thanks.

Comments

• GusindaGusinda Member Posts: 1,915
    Hi @Kneller, if you are using version 1.0.4.0, then try the earlier v1.0.3.6. I found that I had some crashes in the latest version, took a step back and it had no problems editing. Not sure why the later version was crashing though. If it is still crashing after downgrading, then could you upload your eekeeper.ini (renamed as eekeeper.ini.txt)

Gus
  • KnellerKneller Member Posts: 438
    I eventually found the version, but it does the same crash.
    Install Path = C:\Games\Baldurs Gate - Enhanced Edition\
    Language = lang\en_US\
    Save Directory = C:\Users\Michael\Documents\Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition\save\
    Custom Save Directory = false

[Editor Window]
    x = 1
    y = 0
    width = 1199
    height = 700

# Window State has four possible settings:- 0=Hidden (avoid using 0, it won't appear in the taskbar), 1=Normal, 2=Minimised, 3=Maximised.
    Window State = 1

[BGEE]
    Install Path = C:\Games\Baldurs Gate - Enhanced Edition\
    Language = lang\en_US\
    Save Directory = C:\Users\Michael\Documents\Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition\save\
    Custom Save Directory = true

[Settings]
    Current Profile = BGEE

It sees the save file, but when I try to open it, it goes straight to crash
    edited August 2018
    @Kneller, try this. The .ini looks a bit confused so I have taken my .ini and change it to reflect your paths. I thought about just uploading the ini, but uploading the entire package is just as easy. You could just take the .ini and copy it over yours or use the package. Unpack into C:\Games keeping paths. It should end up as 'C:\Games\EEKeeper 1.0.3.6'. If it comes up and says resources could not be found, then relook at the path:

C:\Games\Baldurs Gate - Enhanced Edition\

just to make sure it doesn't have the 'in your installed game (ie: C:\Games\Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition\).

Other possibilities:
    What Operating System are you running? If Windows 10, the where abouts is EEKeeper installed (for you original). Try copying the EEKeeper folder to C:\Games\EEKeeper. It could be a restriction within the OS. Also another you could try is to run in compatibility mode for Windows 8.1 or Windows 7. It shouldn't need it though.

Good Luck
    Gus
    It still instantly crashes when trying to load a save with your ini files.

I don't know if it matters, but I have it in the same folder as BGEE (like you're supposed to w/ Shadowkeeper).

I have windows 8. I tried running in Win7 compatibility as well. No luck.

Any other ideas?
    @Kneller, I would take it out of the game folder. I have never run it in the folder and don't know if that is the problem but it doesn't need to be there.

For other ideas, are you running any mods? If so (just for a test mind you), rename override folder to override.old and try to start EEKeeper. If it crashes, then it could be one of the mods that is the problem. Don't forget to rename the override folder back again.

Are you running SoD?

Gus
    edited September 2018
    I am not running any mods or SoD. I also tried taking it out of the BG folder but that hasn't helped.

Before I continue, though, is it even possible to EEKeep a cleric/wild mage multi? That's what I'm trying to do with SK in my GoG Classic installation, but I'm finding that it's not doing the variable caster level thing. I'm not sure what else it's implementing, but I remember trying something similar years ago, but I couldn't pull it off due to how wild mages are coded in the system
    OK. Could you rename your saved game folder to .old, start BGEE and close (to rebuild the saved game folder) and try. This will remove any thought of a corrupt saved game...
    tried and failed...
    Well.... running out of ideas. Could you try renaming eekeeper.ini to eekeeper.ini.old (and maybe the backup as well). What should happen is that EEKeeper will complain about not being installed properly and ask you to redo your paths.

If that doesn't work, then it has nothing to do with BGEE. Perhaps EEKeeper is being prevented to run by Windows 8. Try turning off your anti virus engine for a test. Do you get an error at all? If so, what does it read?

Gus
    Tried that. Also tried a complete uninstall/reinstall and still have the same problem.

I don't get a specific error, just a pop up saying that the program has stopped working and then it forces me to close.

Maybe I should just stick with Tutu. Just glad I could tinker with a friend's game before dropping the $60 myself.
    If EEKeeper isn't working for you, then you could try NearInfinity. It has more capabilities but not as easy to use... You need to have Java Runtime installed as it is a Java app.

Gus
    That's alright. I appreciate the help. However, Classic/Tutu works well enough and EE has just pushed itself past the work-I'm-willing-to-do threshold.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Sounds like windows is killing the program, rather than EEKeeper not working. Have you tried running it as an administrator?
    Sure did. No luck.
    Your virus protection may be blocking it as well.
    I set an exception for my entire games directory and subdirectories, but still the same problem.
    What virus protection do you use? Some of them are known to ignore exceptions. I had to switch because the one I was using was preventing BG from running at all.
    Avast, but I don't think it's that because not only did I set up the exceptions, I also set it to prompt me before it closes a program. However, it's not even prompting me when it crashes.
  • MineMine Member Posts: 5
    eekeeper loads the character files for me fine, but will not save and only crashes after adding an item to the inventory regardless of slot chosen, any ideas on how to fix this?
  • Gatekeep3rGatekeep3r Member Posts: 123
    Happened to me last month. When I changed the save directory path (didn't change anything, just re-entered the path), everything worked again.
    thanks gatekeep3r, that seems to have done the job
    Gatekeep3r
  • Gatekeep3rGatekeep3r Member Posts: 123
    edited May 2019
    No problem, glad I could help. EEkeeper has been a godsend for me :smiley: The program finally enabled me to try out Cernd with decent ability scores (didn't make them outrageous, just simulated a 85 roll like Jaheira). Since I'm chaotic through and through, I don't consider it cheating :)
    sometimes i play a movie on the second monitor and sit here rerolling, storing easch roll better than the last above 90 until either i grow bored of it, or end up witha roll of 95 or better, takes alot of clicks, but a nice way to roll a monster of a party
    are scroll cases in eekeeper? didnt see them in the containers section
  • MathsorcererMathsorcerer Member Posts: 3,037
    They should be--BAG03 for the base scroll case.
    thanks math, a much needed item !
  • ZaxaresZaxares Member Posts: 1,325
    I've occasionally had an issue with editing save games in EEKeeper where if the save game is too early in the game, it would crash whenever I made changes or tried to save it. For example, if I saved a fresh save game right after starting BG2 and then tried editing it, it would crash on save attempts. If I instead played the fresh save game for a little bit, picked up some items etc., then tried to edit THAT save game, it worked perfectly fine. Why this happens is a mystery to me, but it's something to try if you're experiencing similar problems with EEKeeper.
  • HefaistosHefaistos Member Posts: 2
    I have same problem when loading save from BG II TOB in EEKeeper 1.0.3.6, editor immediately crashed. But when i loaded same save with older version of EE Keeper 1.0.3.2 there was no problem.