Skip to content

For those who know the setting lore...(Gnomes and Halflings)

I'm building a Stalker/Cleric for a saga run that essentially exclusively uses Staves and Slings. I also despise all things Elven (and have usually played shorties in PnP, particularly gnomes and halflings). I haven't played in the FR setting for quite a while, but I'm trying to decide between Halfling and Gnome. Based on the setting, I'm not sure which would be more RP appropriate. My take on it from reading the FR wiki is that Halflings are very "Hobbit"-like, whereas Gnomes are more quirky, nature-loving.

So, my take is that a gnome would be a more realistic choice. Anyone know the lore have additional input? Thanks!
ThacoBellAerakar

Comments

• ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    WotC can't seem the figure out what they want to do with Gnomes. They change pretty drastically every edition. Halfings are the second best D&D race, so go with them. Hobbits rule.
    Aerakar
  • KnellerKneller Member Posts: 438
    Well, I'm less concerned about power, and more about verisimilitude. I agree with you, WotC has been all over the place with a lot of their system/setting materials. In 2e, I felt that Halflings were less Hobbity that they seem to be in later editions. They do change up quite a bit on gnomes.

As for power, though, I'd actually like to go with the less powerful option. the Stalker/Cleric is already getting an upgrade by not being elf, so I don't want to take too much of an advantage with the situation. :)
    I think Gnomes are the powergamer option. Halflings just happen to be my favorite. Honestly, conecpt wise, I don't think makes any more or less sense than the other for what you want to do.
    How do you figure Gnomes are the powergamer option? Is it the Strength hit Halflings take that put Gnomes ahead? I'm pretty much on the fence myself. The extra paralyze/poison/death resistance halflings get is also pretty nice, and the +1 to slings is just gravy.
    Yeah, strength is one of the big stats for the game. Of course, most powergamers prioritize damage over all else (I think its a mistake, personally). There isn't really a huge difference between the two otherwise.
  • ChroniclerChronicler Member Posts: 1,391
    A stalker/cleric will have Draw Upon Holy Might anyway. The difference between 17 and 18 strength for them is not much.

Halfling has a bonus to Save vs Death that can't be replicated with spells. Doesn't come up as much as the other saves but it's still handy.
    but that bonus also applies to poison (which gnomes don't get). Between the hobgoblin elites with the arrows, spiders, ettercaps, etc. I figured that would be a big bonus, at least for bg1.
  • borntodieborntodie Member Posts: 199
    Kneller said:

My take on it from reading the FR wiki is that Halflings are very "Hobbit"-like, whereas Gnomes are more quirky, nature-loving.

I think you are right. Halfling is a different word for hobbit. Gnomes, according to fairytales, live out there in the woods, in houses made out of mushrooms. It fits them a little better.
  • Son_of_ImoenSon_of_Imoen Member Posts: 1,806
    edited September 2018
    Kneller said:

My take on it from reading the FR wiki is that Halflings are very "Hobbit"-like, whereas Gnomes are more quirky, nature-loving.

So, my take is that a gnome would be a more realistic choice. Anyone know the lore have additional input? Thanks!

I associate gnomes more with rocks than with nature. They're close kin of dwarves after all and though there's surface dwelling gnomes besides gnomes that live underground, I don't think a Ranger kit befits a gnome.
    Let me cite the 2nd Edition AD&D (Baldur's Gate's version of AD&D) Player's Handbook (page 22):
    "Kin to dwarves, gnomes are noticeably smaller than their distant cousins. Gnomes, as they proudly maintain, are also less rotund than dwarves. Their noses, however, are significantly larger. Most gnomes have dark tan or brown skin and white hair. A typical gnome lives for 350 years. Gnomes have lively and sly senses of humor, especially for practical jokes. They have a great love of living things and finely wrought items, particularly gems and jewelry. Gnomes love all sorts of precious stones and are masters of gem polishing and cutting.
    Gnomes prefer to live in areas of rolling, rocky hills, well wooded and uninhabited by humans. Their diminutive stature has made them suspicious of the larger races - humans and elves - although they are not hostile. They are sly and furtive with those they do not know or trust, and somewhat reserved even under the best of circumstances. Dwelling in mines and burrows, they are sympathetic to dwarves, but find their cousins’ aversion to surface dwellers foolish."

Aerakar
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    Halflings in FR is less standard lotr hobbits and more Bilbo/Frodo, or perhaps even Merry or Pippin.
    ThacoBell
  • karnor00karnor00 Member Posts: 680
    My feeling is that thief and cleric classes are slightly more halfling like than gnome like. I tend to think of gnomes as more arcane magic inspired.

But that’s probably just my own head canon. Not sure I could find much actual material to back that up.
    Aerakar
    Well, I appreciate all the input. I decided to stick with gnome. It seems to fit better, IMO.
    Aerakar