Skip to content

2.5 release to Mac App Store delayed for further QA

From today's live stream:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UsT09-eVvA&feature=youtu.be
and jump to 15:40

I am not surprised that the Mac App Store update will take some extra work, since no updates have been submitted for over 3 years and multiple macOS updates (it was still OS X on the last patch!). I am surprised that this seems to be internal Beamdog QA that "nothing breaks" with the existing patch, rather than feedback related to the App Store submission process, which seems not to have started yet, waiting in this QA of indeterminate length.

So heads-up for fellow Mac-philes, we have a further wait in front of us, but I doubt any of us are surprised, and I am happy we are at least acknowledged this time around! I'm just hoping it completes before everyone gets distracted by the shiny of the next patch cycle, and we get deferred again...

Comments

• CahirCahir Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,819
    Out of curiosity (I don't us Mac at all), is Mac version only available via Mac App Store. There is no way to buy it directly from Beamdog Store?
  • GreenWarlockGreenWarlock Member Posts: 1,354
    It was first available via Mac App Store, although unlike iOS devices you can install software from other sources without jailbreaking. Many Mac customers though (myself included) will source software only from the App Store. This is the recommended Apple way, you get warnings if you turn off their security protections related to installing 'foreign' software, and it minimizes our exposure to online stores and fraud.

The reason App Store updates are often slow to arrive is that Apple has its own (not infallible) QA process, mostly focussed on branding and doing things the Mac way, and we appreciate that extra QA too - even if it means approval is delayed for petty things like "icons must be round now"!
  • StefanOStefanO Member Posts: 346
    The Mac version of BG2:EE was available from Beamdog since day 1 if I remember correctly. Nobody is forced to use the Mac App Store, in fact, I recommend against it because newer versions of applications (not just BG) are always late in the app store.
  • tbone1tbone1 Member Posts: 1,985
    StefanO said:

The Mac version of BG2:EE was available from Beamdog since day 1 if I remember correctly. Nobody is forced to use the Mac App Store, in fact, I recommend against it because newer versions of applications (not just BG) are always late in the app store.

True, but Apple has been pretty diligent about a lot of security issues that other outlets and platforms ... well, let's just say they've caught enough issues, many of which don't seem accidental, that I choose to get nearly all of my software through them.
  • smady3smady3 Member Posts: 48
    bgee 1/2 has security issues?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited September 2018
    The user and all related content has been deleted.