Skip to content

Changes to world map

Blue_ThreeBlue_Three Member Posts: 28
Looking up a world map online, I noticed that the locations of some areas have changed. For example, Lighthouse ("Seawatcher"?) and Archaeological Site look like they've switched places. When and why did this happen? It must have been relatively recently because I can't find a map online that actually matches what my in-game world map is showing.

Post edited by Blue_Three on

Comments

• PingwinPingwin Member Posts: 262
    I don't think it has really changed, things have just moved around slightly on the world map but they are still in the same places relative to each other. The archeological site has been moved slightly to the south east and the lighthouse moved south to where the arch site was but that is just on the world map representation. Go west from the Drizzt area and you'll get to the arch site, go north from the arch site and you'll get to the lighthouse, nothing has really changed.

I guess the map changes might be to more accurately reflect traveling times? Maybe the changes to that specific area are to reflect that the lighthouse area isn't supposed to be close to the coast area west of highhedge.
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    edited September 2018
    Some things were shifted around. I imagine the archeological site was moved inland since it has no coast.

Some other changes were made, like moving Durlag's Tower to its FR-canon location, at the southern edge of the Wood of Sharp Teeth, a few miles from Gullykin (instead of near Nashkel).

http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Durlag's_Tower
  • Blue_ThreeBlue_Three Member Posts: 28
    Interesting. Yeah, looking again it's not so much "changed places" as readjusted
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    updates throughout the bgee run time have moved areas around the map, like how durlag's tower was originally east of the nashkiel carnival, now it's east of gullykin, dont know why beamdog did this, but this is just one of those "fixes" that beamdog makes every once in a while
    edited September 2018
    sarevok57 said:

updates throughout the bgee run time have moved areas around the map, like how durlag's tower was originally east of the nashkiel carnival, now it's east of gullykin, dont know why beamdog did this, but this is just one of those "fixes" that beamdog makes every once in a while

Because someone looked at a map of Faerun and saw that is where Durlag's Tower is supposed to be.

sarevok57 said:

Because someone looked at a map of Faerun and saw that is where Durlag's Tower is supposed to be.
    interesting, the map that came with the original bg1 had durlag's tower by berdusk which is east of nashkiel, apparently an oops a doops was made
    sarevok57 said:

sarevok57 said:

interesting, the map that came with the original bg1 had durlag's tower by berdusk which is east of nashkiel, apparently an oops a doops was made
    The Sword Coast map that came with BG1 has Durlag's Tower on the southern edge of the Wood of Sharp Teeth, well north of Nashkel. In game, Durlag's was much further south, just east of Nashkel. So the BG1 world map and the Sword Coast map that came with the game were inconsistent.

I'm not sure why they put Berdusk on that map at all. Berdusk isn't even in the game. It is also much further east, and it should be on the River Chiontar (the same river as Baldur's Gate city).

my bad, always thought they had durlag's tower around the nashkiel area

my assumption as to why they had berdusk on the map perhaps was because that is the harper's stronghold city isnt it? and maybe they were thinking about it for the expansion, because this map came out before the expansion, and since you meet many characters from the harpers this may have been the idea