Skip to content

[mod] Foundling: Between the Shades

Comments

• RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714

No, it was released years before shadow magic and it introduces its own spells etc.

And how does it interact with that mod? Installing Shadow Magic first will affect Foundling somehow?

Thanks.
  • LavaDelVortelLavaDelVortel Member Posts: 2,700
    Nope. Those are independent. Shadow Magic / Shadow Weave Magic in my mod may be used only by Foundling and it is different to the one player may use thanks to Artemius' mod.
  • bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308
    so technically compatible but not very appealing to have whole two different shadow magics in the game
    Yes, by this mod is working on non-EE games. It was released in 2015, but I actually started working on it in late 2012 and wanted the mod to be quite complex. Then I had to prepare everything for it to become cross-platform. There were no plans for other BG mod that would include Shadow Magic.

There was an idea to include a component in Shadow Magic mod to make Foundling use system made by @Artemius_I, but that would mean some of Foundling's original stuff would need to be reworked. For example there are Foundling-specific items that give him some magic-oriented stuff + there are 2 HLA that happen certain talks to take place. Thus giving him Artemius' kit would have some additional consequences... But I don't say that a possibility to give my NPC Artemius' kit won't happen. But it also depends on the other author's decision and it would need to be done really carefully.
    edited September 2018
    i'm sure both mods would benefit from integration as someone who has used artemius' mod might now want to have an npc that uses shadow magic, instead of charname ("... cool mod but i don't want this for my main character ...") -- and someone who has installed foundling might now want charname to have access to foundling's kit ("... cool mod but now i want this for my main character ...")
    ...and someone who is not sure what he wants can happily install both (now forming a coherent whole) and decide down the road

edit: in fact, every mod kit should have a co-developed joinable NPC and every mod NPC with a newly made kit should also come with that kit usable by charname. that's how i've always seen things. if that had been a working principle, both sets of mods would have seen massively increased popularity
    Foundling's kit won't work for a non-NPC, because many things are handled with scripts and items. As I said, it's not using any EE-specific commands / options. A brand new kit would need to be created to be only installed on EE games. I believe it is pointless and I'm not going to do that knowing there's a different mod that made a more complex Shadow Magic system. The only option is the one I mentioned, but again - it too would have consequences.
    edited September 2018
    sorry for not being clearer - i was just describing how i see the practical consequences of that very option you were telling about ("... to include a component in Shadow Magic mod to make Foundling use system made by Artemius_I ...")
    simply meaning: positively :)
  • AnprionsaAnprionsa Member Posts: 106
    @LavaDelVortel

@subtledoctor has suggested here http://gibberlings3.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=29544&page=5#entry262298 that I may need to move a file to help the error I was/am having (no longer with M&G and Shadow Magic) with SCS. Was this fixed in the update? Or this another error now?
    I have no idea. @Artemius_I ?
    @bob_veng

I'd also be interested in something like that, I think those 2 mods seem to be made to work well together.
  •  TheArtisan TheArtisan Member Posts: 3,277
    @Anprionsa
    If you test the updated version on EET it should install properly since I gave Lava the exact same fix as I made to Shadow Magic.

As for whether Foundling will use a Shadow Magic kit, that all depends on how Lava feels about it now. Back when I just got my mod in a presentable state the first thing I did was go to him with the proposal, and when he was resistant to the idea I dropped it. The kit in his mod has some really cool stuff that would be lost if he were using my kit instead, so I’m not really pushing all too hard for it either. There’s nothing stopping players from giving him the kit via the Shadow Orb though. At least I think it works on him. I don’t know.

I will confirm though that Foundling will have a lot to do in my upcoming Shade Enclave stronghold update.
    To add to the post: I believe Shadow Magic's shadow adept shouldn't be main kit for Foungling and/or it shouldn't be merged with Foundling because of (for example) talks triggered by HLA or other stuff. But as an option in Shadow Magic mod? If done carefully, then it's fine with me.

But please, also understand that in this situation it would must be done really carefully. I hope the option will be a thing one day, but don't push us too hard or expect to be out soon, because it would mean a lot of work and time (from both Artemius and probably me).

Cheers and thanks, @Artemius_I . You're the best!
    @LavaDelVortel @Artemius_I

Oh yeah definitely. No pressure at all from me. Just thought it was an interesting! Cheers!
  • kev666kev666 Member Posts: 28
    Hi @LavaDelVortel! Longtime BG2 player/first time modder here, I recently got Foundling, and just completed the first quest of
    breaking his curse -- just left our return visit to Thaxll'ssillyia's place
    and since picking him up I have not been able to teach him any of the 4 new shadow weave spell scrolls that I have collected on my travels. But I can teach him regular-ass arcane magic :o

I just went thru the lengthy mod reinstallation process yet the problem persists. Any advice? Thanks!

Btw I had absolutely no idea, when first installing all these mods, who you were but i happened quite by coincidence to have installed about 14 of your mods and am loving all of your content and ideas. Truly fascinating stuff!

Attached in case it's relevant -- WeiDU.log

Thanks!
  • amberCoffeeCatamberCoffeeCat Member Posts: 90
    Hiya!
    @LavaDelVortel, if I'm not mistaken, the latest version of Foundling is 4.2 (?). With SHS down, the only place where I can find the mod is your dropbox, where it's still 4.1. Not that big of a deal really, but would it be possible to update it to 4.2 there?
    @amberCoffeeCat - It's up! enjoy!
  • amberCoffeeCatamberCoffeeCat Member Posts: 90
    Gosh, you're quick! Very cool :-)
    Dziękuję pięknie :-)
    You're welcome and thanks for noticing that. Sometimes I forget to update the DropBox downloads.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Foundling is drained HP every day until his quest is completed, so yes. You may get into trouble if you do not deal with the quest soon. IIRC he suffers -1 max HP every 24 or something like that. He looses it for good. Not a huge penalty, but quite clear signal to not ignore his curse.

I dont remember how many talks ha has on every part of the game, but it's surely better to have him before the Underdark.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • kaja8kaja8 Member Posts: 52
    Is it normal that he can't learn new shadow magic spells that I found? He can use them but can't learn them.
    I may be wrong, but... wasn't he learning them via quick slot? Just as if you were to cast it. I don't really remember, but that's kinda possible - I coded it years ago and had to make that different to other spells. Remember this mod also works on BG2 so I had to use stuff that will work on both old and new version of the engine.
    That's it. It worked. Thanks!
    edited November 2019
    Now I actually encountered a problem. When I get his sword in the cave the misty guardian arrives and asks who is stealing the sword, the problem is she asks it over and over again. The dialogue is in a loop. What should I do? I have Keldorn in my party and the dialogue abruptly ends after he says that he fears we are crossing the line by stealing it.

Edit: solved.
    Post edited by kaja8 on
    @kaja8 - thank you for reporting this! I can see there is a mistake in the code. Will try to update it this weekend.
    Fixed version is up. The problem was that Viconia has an interjection there too (if Keldorn or Anomen is in the party) but with missing triggers the game tried to force her line even if she's not in the team.
  • EndarireEndarire Member Posts: 1,512
    @LavaDelVortel
    As part of a Project Infinity mod list install for EET, Foundling didn't install correctly and I'm unsure why. (Shadow Magic installed correctly.)

Details: http://www.shsforums.net/topic/60707-project-infinity-mass-mod-install-take-2-for-eet-on-windows-10-help/?p=608669

Thankee!
  • LordSithLordSith Member Posts: 7
    edited March 2020
    Hi,

1) This dialogue line:
    == MazzyJ IF ~InParty("Mazzy") !StateCheck("Mazzy",CD_STATE_NOTVALID)~ THEN @1 /* We know exactly what is going on here, creature, so I'd rather you stop telling us what you “think” we know and expect. */

Appears weird in game (due to the " ).

Other lines as well, due to the same issue.

2) if kicked, he doesn't speak. Unless using ctrl+q, he can't join again (which is really not playerfriendly).
    Will take a look at it once I have a moment. Thanks!