Skip to content

Dorn's Quest still can not be accomplished

YoudanjaYoudanja Member Posts: 7
Hi guys,

Once my party, including Dorn, has beaten Simmeon, the quest "A Blackguard's Revenge" is still not closing.

Moreover, if during the dialogue with Dorn, right after beating Simmeon, I decide not to keep him in the party, the quest does not update at all and doesn t mention the final fight.

It is a pity since it was supposed to be fixed in the latest patch : "[Journal] Dorn Il'Khan - A Blackguard's Revenge Quest should close".

Is it the same for you guys ?

Thanks.
Post edited by Youdanja on

Comments

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    Hello!

You can use the program, called NearInfinity, to check any quest.

In this case, check the file "DORNJ.DLG".

This is the phrase Dorn says after beating Simmeon: "At last, Simmeon lies dead, his patron broken! Ur-Gothoz feasts on the souls of my betrayers! My revenge is complete!"

This sets a global variable: Global("DORNPLOT","GLOBAL",5)

This is state 24 of the quest. The last state of the quest is 268.

As described here - https://support.baldursgate.com/issues/38660#note-4 - the patch notes are about another stage of the quest completely (for an earlier stage in the game where the quest can be closed by not recruiting Dorn).

There will be many more banter with Dorn after it, including "I can hardly believe it. You, the spawn of Bhaal himself! Ur-Gothoz was wise to tie my fate to yours. Think of the rivers of blood we could spill across the realms!"
  • JLEJLE Member Posts: 58
    edited February 2019
    Sorry, but the above comment doesn't seem to help me much. Not sure whether the original poster learned what they wanted to know, but it doesn't seem to help me.

Right now: I'm in Chapter 6. The quest "Dorn Il-Khan: A Blackguard's Revenge" is still marked active, even though I killed Simmeon and chums a long time ago, at the beginning of Chapter 5.

I'm wondering if the fact that Dorn's quest is still marked "active" is related to his dialogue, even though the quest itself appears to be over (i.e. Simmeon and his party dead).

So far what's happened is:

Having killed Simmeon at the start of Chapter 5, the "Dorn Il-Khan: A Blackguard's Revenge" quest got an entry detailing Simmeon's death.

Since then: Dorn didn't talk to me almost at all in Baldur's Gate city, but came out with three or four dialogues in quick succession while I wandered back around the wilderness (I went down to Seawatcher Lighthouse and killed the sirines for Cordyr, also raided the pirate cave guarded by flesh golems: I also completed Rasaad's quest, since they're both in my party.) Each of the conversations with Dorn added a new entry to the still-open "quest". The second one talked about murdering an entire village: the third entry terminates with the thought that Dorn might turn on me.

I am about to enter Candlekeep Library. Is this as far as I'm supposed to have got so far, and is there more that happens later on as I go through Chapters 6 and 7?  And is there a thing that will eventually "close" or "complete" this thing as a quest?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Also, Rasaad hasn't spoken to me since the death of his brother (in Chapter 5), and Neera only once since the completion of her encounter with Adoy and Ekandor (in Chapter 4). Is this all the dialogue they are supposed to get?

I tried using NearInfinity to look at the quest, but it came up with a bunch of errors and empty. Is this because of the way Steam organise the files, which appears to be different to the way they were organised in classic BG (or BG2)? I also couldn't get InfinityExplorer to work (which is, in the original game, more reliable for exploring dialogue chains), but I assume InfinityExplorer is basically deprecated now.
    Post edited by JLE on
  • HaHaCharadeHaHaCharade Member Posts: 1,643
    This is still bugged for me too I think... After killing Simmeon in Chapter 5 the quest stays open (unless its supposed to close after that). I think the issue is the Chapter 5 update is adding it to "Active" quests instead of "Closed". The entry for Kryll in Chapter 2 also remains active.