Skip to content

Finished Baldurs gate ii, first time ever!

jamiehavokjamiehavok Member Posts: 11
So finally finished baldurs gate ii for first time! Great game!

My winning group was kinda like when i beat the first game. Gorians Ward was my paladin cavalier and main tank!, Imoen was my main offensive caster, Anomen was also a tank with some great buffs! Jan doubled as a thief and secondary caster. Going invisible then backstabbing was awesome, So much easier than using stealth!
Minsc was my main melee dd though he could take a few hits too and jaheira was defensive buffer/healer with some summons!

Game was easier than bgi on the whole playing on core rules again i found. I melee burned a lot of it! By the end things were getting tougher and i cheesed a few fights with spike traps but the final boss was still pretty tough. Brought down 3 phases before cheesing 4th with traps!

I'm tempted to play from the start with a few mods like scs which ive heard cool things about, bgi npc project and banter packs for increased banter and some mod companions and quests. Considering these games are on sale for £5 each sometimes they are amazing value for money since i somehow spent 376 hours across the whole saga and i didnt even finish watchers keep or durlags tower!

Comments

• BrightL1ghtsBrightL1ghts Member Posts: 53
    edited September 2018
    Well, congratulations!

I'm tempted to play from the start with a few mods like scs which ive heard cool things about

Oh man, i've installed SCS a couple of days ago for the first time and can tell you straight - you will never come back to original AI. Opponents are so much smarter (mages and thieves especially), that if you are not up to cheesing, some fights will require exceptional knowledge of the game.

You will enjoy SCS, i'm 95% sure.

• ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Congrats!
  • AronAron Member Posts: 94
    Gratulations man! Baldur's Gate II is an incredeble game! I have been able to finish BG2 before (minus Watchers Keep) and i didnt even do anything in ToB back then. (had not been released yet)

I am trying again to go through BG2 SoA, havent come so far, but this time i intend to do Watchers keep too, and hope to find those pantaloons.

Great work anyway, maybe now time to do the challenge of IWD (with both expansions)
  • gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    congratulations.

a tip: a hasted jan can hide, backstab, cast invisibility and backstab again, much better use of the invisibility spell and haste makes it easier to hide and reach the enemy.

about spike traps in your case i don't see cheese, you know that mel will come again from the game flow, not from metagaming, so setting some traps before you trigger her return is quite logic for a wise thief.
    like is a wise use of traps to explore hidden in shadows, spot the enemy, set traps in an appropriate point and then lure the foe into them. traps are one of the thief best tools, are not inherently cheesy.
    what is cheesy is setting them on a point where you know an enemy will spawn if you have no clue that he will do it or near a still blue enemy.

i agree with @UnderstandMouseMagic, don't rush, use some other parties until you become really good in vanilla and can beat it quite easily, if you had to resort to traps (even if i just told that in that case imo is fine) probably you can still improve.

i suggest you to try jaheira DW and in the front line, is a competent fighter with ironskins to tank that can max the APR easily in early SoA, you explored only half of her potential.
    i suggest you also to try aerie, almost as good as jan as secondary mage but she can mix arcane and divine spells in sequencers and contingencies, and it is sick ( CC 3x storm of vengeance on enemy sight to disable every mage and do serious damage or holy power, righteous magic and improved haste in a spell trigger to buff in a pinch for mlee). she is a competent caster with a lot of spells and if buffed can DW for 4apr with fighter thaco and doing tons of damage, while protected by the mage spells that make her the best tank in the game.
    and korgan is a super warrior with the rage that protects him from many nasty things.
    about the other npcs i like to play them all (dorn and hexxat excluded as i can not stand their level of evilness as i play always good or neutral). some of them seem under powered, like cernd or haer dalis, but as you learn to play them you discover their true power and they can rook.

the more you learn about vanilla the more you will enjoy when you will play mods like scs in the future.
    for now maybe you can play for each run a couple of quest mods, some are really good imo, so you have each time some new content to enjoy.
  • DhariusDharius Member Posts: 654
    edited September 2018
    @jamiehavok Wow! Did you know I completed BG2 with that exact same party about 11 years ago? Although my main character was a fighter I think. I always find it difficult to progress past Chapter 6 for some reason...

Anyway it's a really good lineup - you have impeccable taste. I always find myself gravitating back to those 5 NPCs for some reason...even with the new choices we have with EE.
    Post edited by Dharius on
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    Well done! Now stop yourself from falling under bad influence and follow the great advice above. You know what I am talking, but don't say it out loud or you will SUFFER!

Restartitis. Just don't do it man.. just don't. I haven't finished a BG2 run in.. 3 years? ;)
  • jamiehavokjamiehavok Member Posts: 11

Well, congratulations!

Oh man, i've installed SCS a couple of days ago for the first time and can tell you straight - you will never come back to original AI. Opponents are so much smarter (mages and thieves especially), that if you are not up to cheesing, some fights will require exceptional knowledge of the game.

You will enjoy SCS, i'm 95% sure.

Heh the rest of the comments are making me scared. Might just try hard mode instead with the other aforementioned mods!

congratulations.

a tip: a hasted jan can hide, backstab, cast invisibility and backstab again, much better use of the invisibility spell and haste makes it easier to hide and reach the enemy.

Cool thanks for the tip. Haste was always the first thing i cast having been a fan of the mmo Final fantasy xi where stacking haste is one of the best things you can do so i figured it would be pretty powerful here too and it was. A lot of encounters i could just cast haste and auto attack stuff to death!
    Dharius said:

@jamiehavok Wow! Did you know I completed BG2 with that exact same party about 11 years ago? Although my main character was a fighter I think. I always find it difficult to progress past Chapter 6 for some reason...

Anyway it's a really good lineup - you have impeccable taste. I always find myself gravitating back to those 5 NPCs for some reason...even with the new choices we have with EE.

Yeah guess it's kind of a standard mmo ish balenced line up. Think ill mix it up with an evil themed party next time!

• jamiehavokjamiehavok Member Posts: 11
    Aron said:

Gratulations man! Baldur's Gate II is an incredeble game! I have been able to finish BG2 before (minus Watchers Keep) and i didnt even do anything in ToB back then. (had not been released yet)

I am trying again to go through BG2 SoA, havent come so far, but this time i intend to do Watchers keep too, and hope to find those pantaloons.

Great work anyway, maybe now time to do the challenge of IWD (with both expansions)

Yeh deffinitly gonna try icewind dale soon, Thanks!