Skip to content

Should I go for these two mods or not?

Guys two (and I hope last) questions:

1) Item revision or Item upgrade by Weimer
2) Spell revision or not?

Comments

• gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    ITEM UPGRADE :)

well... it depends on your taste and play style.
    item upgrade give more powerful items, and imo only some of them are too powerful, like the throwing impaler. other ones are very powerful, but no more then the best vanilla stuff. i really like the fulcrum club, that gives GM to who welds it (but not the +apr if you are not a fighter type), a really interesting weapon for multi fighters, and the scimitar that has a really long reach, you can fight behind your tanks like with a 2 hander, and makes you immune to adhw.
    most of those weapons give variety, with the vanilla weapons most of the players chose the same weapon types because there they find the best stuff. hammers for crom, flails for FoA and so on. that mode makes some weapon types competitive, clubs, scimitars, katanas (CF +5), spears.
    i like also the fact that is possible to merge rings and boots as it saves a lot of micromanaging.
    things like go to inventory, put on the ring of regeneration then when you are healed put on again the +1 or +2 ring. or for a thief equip the boots that make you more stealthy, go to backstab then equip the boots of speed to run away. now a single pair of boots performs both functions. and talking of thieves in the vanilla game there are 3 rings that boost different thieving skills, to continuously change them is a nightmare, with that mod you can merge them in a single one.
    if you feel that something is too powerful for your taste just don't upgrade it, problem solved.

upgrade the items with that mod costs a lot of money, much more than the usual price asked by cromwell, so if you don't use some tactics (or cheese) to get the money easily you have to make choices, you will not be so rich to upgrade everything.

also item revision give more variety in the weapon type choice, but instead of balancing the weaker types to the power level of the best ones keeps the average power of the vanilla game, is a different approach.
    that is not my kind of approach so i have never tried it. and spell revision follows the same approach.
    not my kind, but they are surely good mods, the fact that most of the best players use them speak by itself...

Borek
  • BorekBorek Member Posts: 513
    I'm using Item revision atm, so far it's been very good, a few OP items, but mostly it gives additional options for weapon types that under-perform in vanilla. I haven't used spell revisions though, so cannot comment on that.
    gorgonzola
  • ArthasArthas Member Posts: 1,091
    Thank you both, I've got another question: do any of you know where I can find a tweak that makes the trap gives the same value on xp you get on bg2 when being on the same level ?
    Arthas said:

Thank you both, I've got another question: do any of you know where I can find a tweak that makes the trap gives the same value on xp you get on bg2 when being on the same level ?

I believe A-Tweaks Mod has an option to change XP for scrolls/traps/locks in BG1, to match BG2, but the only ones i found that change the XP in BG2 are to lower them.

I use EE-MODSETUP Tool when i apply my mods because it automatically lists a yuge plethora of mods with tick boxes to turn them on or off, then checks for the latest DL's and applies them in the correct order to minimise scripting and other errors. If you use the tool you can look through the many many options to see which ones suit your preferred install.

I think right now i'm using basic SCS, with item upgrades, a selection of A-Tweaks and Tweaks Anthology for unlocking more multi/dual class options including being able to dual class wild mages and barbarians, allow Cespenar to make all items and for all his items to be able to be made in SoA (although 95% of the items needed for the upgrades are in TOB). It also includes many many NPC quests, tweaks, romance options, mini-quests, larger quests, portraits, sounds etc etc. Basically an all in 1 Mod collector and installer.

Be warned it can be a lil confusing at 1st, but well worth the effort, without it i could never get individual mods to work particularly well due to script clashes and the like, particularly SCS.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    gorgonzolaQueegon
  • legotaksinlegotaksin Member Posts: 65

100% Spell Revisions.

Item upgrade is a mixed bag. The basic concept is great: instead of relying on the 1-2 TOB-grade weapons in each item type, you can continue to make use of the awesome mid-level weapons (which are in many cases awesomer than the TOB weapons... hello daggers, clubs).

BUT unfortunately some of the upgraded items veer into the realm of really OP, outshining a lot of the game's TOB weapons. It's a shsme the mod isn't maintained, a minor balance tweak is all that's needed to make it perfect.

Oh yeah, also, Item Upgrade plays weird with IR. IR changes some items, but then you can turn them into a upgraded version of the vanilla ones. No technical problem, just a bit weird in some instances.

hello, i tried to install SR, but i gave up before because as i know, some SR's spells have probrems(bug or error? anyway)

is it okay to finish game even SR has some problem?
  • ArctodusArctodus Member Posts: 992
    @legotaksin I play with SR all the time. The mod itself doesn’t have problems. What are the problems you’re having ? Do you have any other mods ?
    Arctodus said:

@legotaksin I play with SR all the time. The mod itself doesn’t have problems. What are the problems you’re having ? Do you have any other mods ?

for example, as i know, cleric's divine power (lvl4 spell) does not add any effect. (beta v15)

maybe there are not many errors, but i'm worried.
    edited October 2018
    Well, I just tried SR Divine Power a few seconds ago and every effect is applied in my install. Maybe you have mods that conflict between themselves.
    Arctodus said:

Well, I just tried SR Divine Power a few seconds ago and every effect is applied in my install. Maybe you have mods that conflict between themselves.

no, this is error which people reported.

anyway, do you think SR makes game better or interesting? I'm considering 2 things.
    1. scs + vanilla spell
    2. scs + SR
    1) What is the problem with Divine Power ? I couldn’t find any reports about it on Gibberlings 3 forums. In my install, Viconia gets 18/00 strength, bonus thac0 and the same APR as a fighter when she uses Divine Power, like the spell description says.

2) It all depends on what you want. I personally love SR, because it adds a lot of variety to the game by making the less useful spells more powerful and the most powerful spells a bit less game breaking. It does make the game slightly harder though.

It also change drastically the logic of the ‘’mage chess’’ aspect of the game. For instance, now the Spell Immunity spell disappears in favor of others way to make you immune; SI: Abjuration is replaced by Dispelling Screen, which absorbs one Dispel before vanishing.

All in all, it does give the game a new flavor and you should try it yourself to see if you like it or not.
    http://gibberlings3.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=28817&page=3
    kangkunis said

and in korean d&d site, some korean players said about this. there is v4 beta15 SR mod (translated in korean)

anyway if it works well, it is good thing.

I decide to install SR.
    thanks a lot for comment. :)

The issue with spell revision is the removal of the protection of petrification spell. That's a really bad choice, that will force me not to install it next time.
    Arthas said:

The issue with spell revision is the removal of the protection of petrification spell. That's a really bad choice, that will force me not to install it next time.

As long as it doesn't change the green scrolls that protect from petrification or the potion of mirror eyes you should be able to work around loosing 1 1st level spell that only protects Vs 1 rare ability.
    [Deleted User]Arctodus
    edited October 2018
    @Arthas
    i suggest you to install also item upgrade, before item revision, and to self restrain you to use it only for the rings and boots. it does not make the rings and boots owerpowered, are some weapons of that mod that are so. is only for convenience. i really like to have all the thieving rings melted into one, so don't have to go to my thief inventory to change it continuously depending if he has to detect a trap, disable it or set himself one.
    also melting a ring of protection with a regeneration one does not change the power, as the regeneration will not change anything in battle, is too slow to be effective. again is just the convenience of avoiding to go to the inventory, change ring, then maybe forget the regeneration one equipped and going to battle less protected.
    Borek
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited October 2018
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    ThacoBell

Just a counterpoint: I actually do the opposite of this, using a mod that only lets you wear two magical items at the same time, instead of (ring+ring+necklace+belt+boots+cloak) six. Limiting the amount of boosts you get from external sources makes you focus on your own abilities and provides an interesting added layer of challenge.

i agree about the added layer of challenge. but you missed my point.
    my point is that with the rings and boots you can still have all the benefits of using more than one ring even with your mod. my thief wears the ring that detects traps, find the trap, change it with the one that helps him disable the trap and disables it, then wears the boots that make him stealthier, spots the enemies, go back and equips te ring that help him to set his traps, then hides, equips the boots of speed and a protection ring and goes to backstab the enemies and lure them in his traps.
    no more than 2 magic items used at the same time, but a lot of going to inventory to change those items.
    some chosen upgrades of the item upgrade mod avoid the annoyance to going continuously to the inventory screen to change items, as it merges them, without making those items more owerpowered.
    this is why imo even if the IR & SR approach is chosen some upgrades of the item upgrade give convenience without changing the power of the items.

[Deleted User]
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited October 2018
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    gorgonzola
  • CamDawgCamDawg Member, Developer Posts: 3,438

BUT unfortunately some of the upgraded items veer into the realm of really OP, outshining a lot of the game's TOB weapons. It's a shsme the mod isn't maintained, a minor balance tweak is all that's needed to make it perfect.

Wes balanced items against his Tactics mod, where these fit right in. I will not be making balance changes to the mod since it would be against Wes' original vision.
    gorgonzolaAerakar
    edited October 2018
    @Borek that is, until you see lich actually summoning basilisks ...

@subtledoctor all it is needed is just a component by SCS that makes basilisk do a little more damage. Last time I played SCS if I had the protection from petrification spell they would not spam their gaze attack, but actually melee me and try to kill me (and almost succeeded to be honest).

@gorgonzola Thanks for the suggestion.

• SenSayNyuSenSayNyu Member Posts: 20
    Both SR and IR is default mods of choice along with SCS for me. I played vanilla with SCS many times and revision mods spice things up while keeping original feel of the game. Most mods that feels out of place is a big no-no for me. That's not the case with this mods and it's make me happy.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.