Skip to content

Chaotic Evil

Ran across this nicely concise explanation, entitled "Chaotic Evil Done Right".

"It' s not about greed, or lust, or any other simple sin.
It' s about doing what you want, when you want, how you want to whomever you
want, and making no excuses to anyone for anything.
If someone wants to stop you, they better be ready to kill you.""

Petty much says it all.
Oh: And the picture accompanying this was The Joker from "Dark Knight". Rather appropriate.
:smiley:

Comments

• BorekBorek Member Posts: 513
    CE, only way to fly >:)
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,317
    I think of chaotic evil as being a bit more than just doing what you want. Doing whatever you want irrespective of rules sounds more chaotic neutral to me, while chaotic evil seems to imply going a bit out of your way to hurt others ...
  • FrdNwsmFrdNwsm Member Posts: 1,069
    Heh; is Grond0 a reference to Tolkein's Hammer of the Underworld, or to the anti-paladin of the same name from the Fineous Fingers comic in the old Dragon magazine?
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    @Grond0 I think the only real distinction between CN and CE is that CE's desires are more frequently harmful.
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,317
    FrdNwsm said:

Heh; is Grond0 a reference to Tolkein's Hammer of the Underworld, or to the anti-paladin of the same name from the Fineous Fingers comic in the old Dragon magazine?

@FrdNwsm it's from Tolkien, though the reference is to the battering ram used at Minas Tirith rather than Morgoth's mace.
  • borntodieborntodie Member Posts: 199
    edited September 2018
    I always interpreted CN as "mad", CE as "mad and evil". Jan Jansen is the perfect example of CN.

CE typically enjoys the suffering of others, even if there is no personal gain or other reason. They also tend to worship demons. Sarevok is a great example.
  • DanacmDanacm Member Posts: 951
    Sarevok was not mad, rather sociopath. Chaotic evil can be dumb or smart and the latter is more dangerous. An intelligent chaotic evil have plans, know what she want, but nothing can stop her. Btw an evil person can love, feel friendship, but often be very selfish becouse of the childhood traumas, or in the worst case, doesnt have any emotion.
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    I think this interpretation is more like how I imagine NE. CE for me is someone who deliberately works to disrupt Law and actively seek out Chaos by usurping power, killing leaders, taking the lead themselves by brute force and showing no mercy, not even to those in their own ranks. Essentially, Sarevok. If Sarevok had done something similar, but had he not been a Bhaal spawn and with the intention just to take power and then keep it without necessarily expanding it, I could just as well have seen him as Lawful Evil. He do try to gain the power through using the existing "Law", getting elected. CE power is taken and held by force, and when that power is taken it's used to cause further havoc. NE is more individual, you do what you want but only for your own gain and you do not actively seek out things to destroy or try to cause Chaos.
  • DanacmDanacm Member Posts: 951
    Hm i always imagine a society where everybody is chaotic evil. No rules, no economy, no technological advancement. Horroristic ???
  • gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    edited September 2018
    Grond0 said:

I think of chaotic evil as being a bit more than just doing what you want. Doing whatever you want irrespective of rules sounds more chaotic neutral to me, while chaotic evil seems to imply going a bit out of your way to hurt others ...

i agree.
    torturing people only to please a sadistic desire to see people suffering is an example of this, you are not only chaotic, as you break rules, you are also evil. and this is the border, both are chaotic, but the neutral one does what he wants, breaking rules imposed by the society , but still has some self given ones, the chaotic evil one has no self imposed rule, he does what he wants, point. without caring on the consequences of what he does on other beings. he is evil and does whatever he likes to second his evil desires.
    a drow is evil and does evil things, can torture, kill the competitors, like phaere that killed her sisters and plan to kill her mother, and this is just being evil, not chaotic, as she acts according to the rules of her own society. a drow that plans to destroy the whole drow city cause he find pleasure into seeing them perish is chaotic and evil at the same time.

a chaotic evil does what he wants, and he wants evil things, putting no limitations at all to what he can do to follow his evil nature and desire. this does not mean that he is also stupid, he can refrain to do evil things, or delay them, but only cause he is aware of the consequences that can affect himself and his own safety. this is the only thing that can make him avoid to do something he wishes, and only until he finds a way to do it in a way that does not cause his own destruction.