Skip to content

ToB - Getting to Watchers Keep

Just finished SoA and auto started ToB. When's the earliest I can get to Watcher's keep. and how do I get there? I've done the first conversation at Saradush and gone back to the pocket plane, but I still don't seem to have options on destination yet.

Comments

• EnuhalEnuhal Member, Moderator Posts: 935
    Hey,

You have to finish the Saradush main quest (dealing with Gromnir) before you can get to Watcher's Keep.
  • dunbardunbar Member Posts: 1,603
    WK doesn't appear as an option from the pocket plane, you access it the 'old fashioned' way by travelling from the edge of whichever map area you're in (after Saradush).
  • DordledumDordledum Member Posts: 243
    I thought you could go to Watcher's keep before ToB, right? What's the earliest option?
  • BorekBorek Member Posts: 513
    Dordledum said:

I thought you could go to Watcher's keep before ToB, right? What's the earliest option?

Yeah you can go to WK in SOA, soon as you leave Irenicus' Dungeon.
    Borek said:

Dordledum said:

Yeah you can go to WK in SOA, soon as you leave Irenicus' Dungeon.
    Cheers! Whether it is sensible to do so is another question I guess. I think it'd be nice to do the Machine of Lum ASAP.
    Just adding a question to the mix: what would you suggest as minimum level to enter Watcher's keep?
  • dunbardunbar Member Posts: 1,603
    Much like Durlag's Tower the levels tend to increase in difficulty as you progress and you can leave at any time to return later with more XP/better kit.

As for the Machine of Lum - it's very deep in the Keep and getting there before Brynnlaw and the Underdark is not something I've ever managed to do (don't forget that WK was aimed at ToB level parties).
  • BorekBorek Member Posts: 513
    Dordledum said:

Just adding a question to the mix: what would you suggest as minimum level to enter Watcher's keep?

that's a hard one to answer, the top level is not that hard until you trigger the statues, i think the worst you have to deal with are some spiders and a bunch of spectral undead, you could kill them fresh from Irenicus' dungeon assuming meta-knowledge. You could also probably get Foebane from the 1st 2 Statues, but you may have to use some cheese (perhaps blocking them from entering a room with an invisible character/familiar so you can kill with ranged attacks). The statues that animate after the ritual again possible using some cheese but 1 of them is a ranged attacker itself so will be tough.

I would say the level is less an issue than what items you can bring to the BBQ. For example if you robbed Athkatla blind, abused the fence/s to make effectively unlimited money, bought out the good stuff from the 2 special merchants, Ribald and completed the Copper coronet slave freeing so you had access to Azure edge, you could go immediately to WK and have a successful delve into the depths. Certainly it would be possible to at least reach, perhaps complete, maze and even Lums level. Depending on party it could even be completed but would be tough.
  • gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    i almost every time go to wk early, let's say after 2 or 3 major quests in chap 2.
    sometimes i clear all the dungeon and sometimes only some levels, but the only reason i sometimes don't complete all in chap 2 is to help imoen to catch up with xp as i have her back in the party.
    it depends on party composition, i have been there solo, with 5 people parties and with small ones.
    as i usually have heavy on magic parties the main problem is the maze for me, for more mlee oriented parties can be different. the last level before the boss can be hard, the battle where you loot the best gauntlets and a wish scroll is hard for every party composition at low levels, but certainly not impossible if you use good tactics and everything that can be helpful. there is a powerful archer, but you can have a shield that reflects back her arrows so she will kill herself if you manage to have her target the one welding the shield. just an example, the easiest one to figure. potions, items and every other help can turn the tide cause if you face them trading hits you have no chance until you reach better levels.

obviously if you have problems to win against the statues on first level you probably will find some battles on the other levels impossible, it is really player's dependent.
    you don't need super strong parties, i often roll average stats for my charname and use npcs, but you have to be able to use all your party strengths, if you have more than 1 mage stacking webs can make some battles surprisingly easy, remember that a mage with MMM hits 100% of the times against a webbed enemy with good dmg and APR, if you have a backstabbing thief hasted and with some invisibility potions he can backstab twice in a round before he retreats to hide again in shadows, and traps are your friends, does not matter if you set them and lure enemies into them or if you use them abusing of spawning points (i never do it, but in some battles it can be done as you can easily figure out that foe will spam or become ostile if you do certain things.

give it a try, making a save before, and see how you can progress.
  • GreenWarlockGreenWarlock Member Posts: 1,354
    @gorgonzola that's inspiring, as I rarely get below the second level with my chapter 2/3 parties, and have never made it past the guy with the infamous deck of cards, even with a party full of HLAs. That said, a bunch of the cool loot in the keep requires the imp in ToB to turn it into something useful, and I don't want to waste irreplaceable high level consumables in SoA, so have usually been happy to defer deeper delving to ToB (and then get bored early in ToB, as I want to play my next party already!)

Raiding the top level of the keep in SoA is a must-have though, if only for the ammo cases/belts and the returning dart. Those items are practically crafted for SoA rather than ToB, based on their high utility but relatively low power curve.
  • gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    remember that some consumables can be used by a simulacrum, without wasting them. i am more interested in the items that are at deeper levels of the dungeon, the staff of ram, the 2 wish scrolls, the +1/2apr gloves, the +3 ring of protection from the deck, it probably depends on my party composition and weapon choices. my mages use a sling as the better ones have really good speed factor and with the right bullets and str enhancers the 2 shots of a hasted mage make more dmg with better thaco than the dart, leaving more time to cast or relocate before the round expires. the xbow is really good, if there is a user in the party, and you don't even have to enter the dungeon to get it.