Skip to content

Anomen and Haer'Dalis are cool.

sandmanCCLsandmanCCL Member Posts: 1,389
Stop the hating. :(

Anomen is a blowhard but whom you can teach the error of his ways. I think that's a pretty cool concept for an NPC. Also, he's voiced by Rob Paulsen which is instant win. NARF!

Haer'Dalis is probably the deadliest NPC you can bring in your party, and he says funny things. Also, voiced by Michael Bell, one of the most prolific voice actors ever, though he's mostly in incidental roles rather than recurring ones.
SchneidendAedanAphril_N8_MoomintrollkamuizinCyricistBelgarathMTHQuartzFemShepVbibbi

Comments

• DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    Both are, who said they aren't? =D

• State_LemmingState_Lemming Member Posts: 375
    Yeah I think people only hate on Anomen because that is what he is for.
    Quartz
  • BrudeBrude Member Posts: 560
    I'll give you Haer'Daells because he's a Blade. Not because of his personality.

Absolutely can't agree about Anomen. His storyline is pretty cool and has a fair amount of depth. Personally I think players like @Dragonspear deserve a medal (or a special in-game achievement) for putting up with him as long as they do.

(BRB gonna roll an evil Assassin. First RP assignment: Chunk Anomen before even talking to him.)
    MortiannaDragonspearCaptRorySmilingSword
  • LordsDarkKnight185LordsDarkKnight185 Member Posts: 615
    Your dead to me >.>
  • sandmanCCLsandmanCCL Member Posts: 1,389
    But... But...

Rob Paulsen...
  • _N8__N8_ Member Posts: 77
    Yes I agree! For some reason I've always played with Anomen. His story is slightly engaging. His dull, slightly annoying personality is a small price to pay for his amazing skill at killing. He seems to never die and has some epic, generic lawful-good battle cries. For justice and glory, etc. That's really all that matters imo.

His 50k knighthood quest experience & ability buffs are pretty nice too.
    AedanCyricistBelgarathMTHXmord
  • LordsDarkKnight185LordsDarkKnight185 Member Posts: 615

But... But...

Rob Paulsen...

Rob Paulsen is cool

bowties are cool

Anomen is an arrogant jerk

Haerdelis is just a jackass whom all the chicks dig, so i must hate him with a fiery passion on principle >.>
    BrudeseekaSwordsNotWords
  • Roller12Roller12 Member Posts: 437
    i dont recall anyone hating on Haer'Dalis.

Anomen is pink. Im sorry but thats too much.
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    I only have this to post:
    sandmanCCLMoomintrolljhart1018
  • GoodSteveGoodSteve Member Posts: 607
    I was never a big fan of either character but I wouldn't say I 'hated' either of them. Both are decent additions to a party (I prefer Anomen in my party over Haer'Dalis, find him more useful) but never really stood out. I wasn't a big fan of the whole Haer'Dalis side quest where you go and save him, it seemed kinda lack luster compared to the side quests of the other NPC's.

I will probably pick up Anomen in my BG2:EE game. I want to see what happens in his epilogue if he fails his trials.
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    i like anomen because he is a cleric with ATTACKS per round, unlike the other clerics, 2 with haste? laaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaame, anomen can have to hit/ to damage/ attacks per round, and he can heal, did i mention attacks per round? well let me mention is again: ATTACKS PER ROUND, attacks per round are just so usefull when your clerics has nothing better to do after buffing and healing (or usually the oh so few offensive spells they have which i barely if ever use) and personally i never give a damn about npc personalities, i've played these games so much i dont even look at the dialogue that much anymore i just spam enter and usually "1" infact anomen was the pc to give me the idea of dual classing level 7 fighters into mages and thieves and druids and that has made such a change to my gaming style, i say horray to anomen keep on kicking the butt that you do
    Xmord
    @LadyRhian: Oh that video. Good times. John DiMaggio and Billy West seem like they have a real genuine friendship, too. The parts with them together are the best.

They need to get DiMaggio to do some evil dwarf thief NPC for BG2. "Anyone wanna kill all humans? Hee hee hee."

I guess I view games and NPCs differently than the norm. Obviously there are characters I like because of personalities, but I'm kind of equal opportunity. I like giving everyone a shot to see what they can do. Anomen is a total beast in battle and I kind of like the blowhard writing. They did an excellent job with it. I don't need all my NPCs to be goofy, lovable dorks like Minsc. It's something I kind of fault current-day BioWare on. Jack was good in ME2 but they ruined what made her a good character by making her too... accessible?

All the NPCs in BG2 are pretty awesome but I've frequently been impressed by the raw beatdown I'm able to do with Anomen. And to whomever said Gauntlets of Dex: It's a shame there's only the one pair because it makes using Anomen and Keldorn in the same group less than ideal which is a shame because they play off each other rather well, but the only other NPC who really desires them is Korgan. I don't see many Anomen parties rolling with Korgan, although maybe I should give that a true because that seems fun. He's got borderline perfect stats once he passes his trial.
  • DragonspearDragonspear Member Posts: 1,838
    @SandmanCCL

I think my gripe stems by how chauvanistic he is, and yet he's the only female romance option. But if you shove it in his face like you want to do you can't romance him. I THINK that's where most of the hate stems from. Honestly, I'm willing to play with him again, I just won't take the crap anymore cause I've done the romance bit.

That said, Korgan (Axe/Hammer) and Anomen (Flails) sounds like a really interesting and powerful melee duo.
    BrudeJalilyLordsDarkKnight185Vbibbi
    I mostly want to see Korgan taunt Anomen until he snaps when I make Anomen rage-psycho-murder Saerk. I'm going to give Anomen a ton of tools to ensure he wins that fight, but it should be good sport.

Boo will bring the popcorn.
  • DragonspearDragonspear Member Posts: 1,838
    I know Keldorn and Aerie will both taunt him into drinking the kool-aid if he fails his test.

Rumor is Flail of Ages with a shield loses to Carsomyr. Or at least that's what I've heard.
  • KaxonKaxon Member Posts: 156
    Anomen's combat ability was nice, but his personality was annoying and that was enough to make me boot him. I dunno, maybe he gets better after his test. I might give him another try eventually, I can't use Minsc and Aerie on EVERY playthrough (right?)
  • Syntia13Syntia13 Member Posts: 514
    I like Haer'Dalis. I even kept him in my team
    when he stole my girlfriend. I was annoyed when he dumped her in ToB, but not enough to kick him out. I was involved with Jaheira at the time (consolation prize after Aerie), so I left them alone. I do wonder though - if I stayed single, would Aerie come back to me after the break-up? Does anyone know?

Anomen I intensly dislike. Horrible romance aside, he is insufferable lying braggart (I don't believe he performed ANY of the deeds he claims he did. Oh, sure, Anomen, you were slaying hordes of Hillgnasher giants with your pals when you were just level 7, huh? So why are you fleeing in panic at the mere sight of one dragon now, when you're 10+ ?).
    The breaking point for me was his reaction to the kidnappers' quest.
    We have just dug up a man who'd been buried alive after his kidnappers received the ransom. What is the reaction of the ever so righteous, noble sir Anomen? "This is such petty/insignificant/unimportant task, why should we bother with it?" (not the exact quote, obviously, but that was the gist of it).
    I kicked him out after this, and none of my neutral/good aligned PCs bothered to recruit him since. I'm tempted to pick him up with Malica (chaotic evil) though. They should have a lot in common - starting with complete disregard for lives of the lesser folk (i.e. everyone who's not them).
  • ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    edited October 2012
    Have to side with @sandmanCCL in that I also feel that Anomen's got a bit of a bum rep. When you play a male PC I find he makes a pretty good buddy and man-at-arms, especially if you help him reach his goals.

He's not without flaws, but it's interesting with a fundamentally good guy who still isn't without rather unpalatable flaws like pride, inferiority complex and lust. I also like how he's malleable and has a development curve rather than staying mostly the same throughout the adventure.

Haer'Dalis seems a little too slick and smarmy for my tastes, but I also don't have a whole lot of experience with him.
    CyricisttrinitXmord
  • FrozenCellsFrozenCells Member Posts: 385
    Anomen is more fun if he fails his test with the Order and it gives him a different dialogue path in ToB (quite cool).
  • JaxsbudgieJaxsbudgie Member Posts: 600
    edited October 2012
    I don't think I've ever helped him complete his knighthood, I know his wisdom bumps up by 4 points, but are there any other equivalent benefits for helping him fail his quest? Every time I've taken him along I've aided him in murdering that guy (forget his name), is the only payout the fact that he's a bit less pompous?

In terms of number crunching, he's crazy good and actually ends up being the best Cleric in the game (I'm sorry Viconia, I really am!). Mainly because his fighter levels work well in conjunction with Cleric buffs and Clerical weapons, a few extra low level bonus spell slots isn't that great when you're late SoA. But I suppose the one thing Viconia does have is innate magic resistance, and with enough effort, you can get her to 100% and beyond.

• PhælinPhælin Member Posts: 316
    Anomen - not so bad as a cleric, but we just don't get along too well
    Haer'dalis - one of my favourites characters, this guy will always be in my team
    Cyricist
  • Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861
    I think Anomen is a very well realised character. I like his pomposity and sanctimoniousness. Wouldn't want to shag him though.
    CyricistQuartz
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    edited October 2012
    I like Haer'dalis' ancestors. Does that count?

As for the romance aspects... I'd rather have a treesome with both a Krogan and Korgan than enduring Anomen's personality.
    TalvraeDragonspear
  • NecdilzorNecdilzor Member Posts: 278
    I had Anomen in my party... until I found Keldorn... and Sarevok....
  • KlonoaKlonoa Member Posts: 93
    edited October 2012
    lol The passions are running high XD

I've gotta say it, I don't mind Anomen. I agree he was well written and having different personalities is part of the gamut. Like real life, his douchebag behaviour was all covering his feelings for the way he had been treated.

He does get better later, if he passes his test or not.

I do agree a lot of the ire was lack of choice though, especially given how much work was put into the other romances. Definitely looking forward to new options.

I never cared much for Haer'dalis one way or the other. Perfect for whiney Aerie. Maybe I lack the appreciation for bards :)
    Cyricist
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    I don't think Anomen is a bad character from an writer/player perspective.

There is a difference between a character written in such a way as to come across unsympathetic, and a character who wasn't supposed to be, but still comes across that way.
    Permidion_StarkBrude