Skip to content

Mouse behaviour in Windows\Steam BG:EE (activating desktop icons whilst game running)

JoeJoe Member Posts: 6
edited September 2018 in Troubleshooting
I've played this game since it came out, and recently re-installed to have yet another play through. In the last few days I've noticed that when moving my cursor to the bottom of the screen - the quick access icons for potions\spells, and where the "End dialog" button appears, the cursor changes to a standard windows arrow now. Clicking down here now minimises BG, and activates whatever icon, on my Windows quick launch bar, was under the cursor when it was clicked.

Another odd bit of mouse behaviour, and possibly unrelated, is that when dragging a marquee around my whole party to select them, it typically doesn't work when dragging from the top left corner down - If I drag from the bottom right corner up, it does work.

I could not find mention of this in the forums, or at least the first 3 pages of search results.

Anybody encountered this before? I've tried toggling full screen on\off (via alt+enter) but no joy.

Comments

• BubbBubb Member Posts: 1,001
    Hi @Joe,

Sounds like an odd issue. Have you tried disabling "Hardware Mouse Cursor" in the graphics setting? That's the only thing I can think of for you to try. If that doesn't work we can call in some more forumites to see if they can help :)
  • GusindaGusinda Member Posts: 1,915
    edited September 2018
    @Joe, you could also try changing the engine to Alternate Render, also in Graphics setting.

Gus
  • fluke13fluke13 Member Posts: 399
    I have the same issue, cursor also changes on the very right of the screen on player 5 portrait. Next time it happens, I'll see if the above graphics solutions do the trick.
    I can now confirm disabling "Hardware Mouse Cursor" doesn't fix the problem - although it does make it worse. Im using the first 2.5 update, not the updated update (I'll check if the problem still exists on the latest, soon). Anyone else getting this problem?
  • MexiMexi Member Posts: 3
    I'm having the same issue. When I try to click on the 6th character's portrait, the mouse cursor turns into the standard Windows cursor. Playing the Steam updated version.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    Please create a bug report at support.baldursgate.com so that our QA could help you.
    I've tested it more thoroughly now and not found any fixes myself, so will make sure it's on the bug report.

For those with the same problem who find this thread, I advise against the solutions mentioned above.

Disabling "Hardware Mouse Cursor" seems to make the problem worse.

Changing the engine to Alternate Render makes it so you can no longer launch the game - however you can avoid reinstalling everything by editing the lua - as described here https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/49759/disable-alternate-renderer-out-of-game#latest
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    We'd appreciate the bug report, thanks.