Skip to content

[(BG1) BUG] Magic Missile Damage

KeithSKeithS Member Posts: 623
edited July 2012 in Fixed
Current Behaviour
The damage caused by Magic Missile (both enemies' and players') is 2D3.

Expected Behaviour
It should be 1D4 +1.

Files altered: spwi003.spl, spw112.spl

Fixed in: v0626+

Originally found and fixed in: BG1Fixpack
http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/858
Post edited by Bhryaen on

Comments

• HeroicSpurHeroicSpur Member Posts: 907
    edited July 2012
    [Withdrawn]
    Post edited by HeroicSpur on
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    I'm not sure if this is fixed.

If Magic Missile is 1D4+1, we should have these possible outcomes 2, 3, 4 and 5 damage.

But with the tests that I have done I can never get 2 damage, only 3, 4 and 5.
  • HeroicSpurHeroicSpur Member Posts: 907
    Not fixed: I have done more tests (many more test subjects died), and confirm what @Tanthalas says, while the MM no longer does 2D3, it no longer does '2' damage, which means it doesn't do 1D4+1 either.

Apologies for my sloppy testing. I thought it was all about the '6'.
    To add some more info, I think the damage is currently 2D2+1 in Build 0629 instead of the correct 1D4+1.
  • KeithSKeithS Member Posts: 623
    Can you guys check to see if spwi003.spl and spw112.spl are currently in your override directories? If they're not, please let me know.
  • CuvCuv Member, Developer Posts: 2,535
    @KeithS I have neither of those in my override currently
    If that's the case, the fix didn't make it into v0629. I'm investigating why, and I'll make sure that it's included into the next one.
    Sorry for the late response, but yeah, I don't have those files either.
    @KeithS

Interestlingly, Magic Missile from enemy casters is dealing damage in the proper range. o.O
    @Tanthalas Spooky :-O
    @KeithS

It took a while but an enemy finally hit me for 6 damage with Magic Missile, so ignore my previous post. Sorry. >.<

But still, its strange that enemies can do damage in the 2-6 range but the player does damage in the 3-5 range. I'm using Core rules, so the damage should be the same.
  • SethDavisSethDavis Member Posts: 1,812
    Stepping through the damage code it looks like Magic Missile is doing 2D2+0 damage per missile for players with some modification for enemy luck. I can get damages of 2, 3 and 4 only. (This might be different because @KeithS changed it again and I'm a bit ahead of the build?)
    @SethDavis Try out the versions of spwi003.spl & spw112.spl that are currently in the SVN. Those ones should allocate the damage correctly.
  • SethDavisSethDavis Member Posts: 1,812
    @KeithS - Ah, sorry. I thought the svn stuff was being used for some reason. >.<
  • BhryaenBhryaen Member Posts: 2,874
    Confirmed Fixed:

The files spwi003.spl & spw112.spl are presently in the 0709 override directory...

Testing involved about 50+ missiles cast, all of them 2, 3, 4, or 5 dam.
    IgneousQuartz