Skip to content

A Thorough Look at Neverwinter Nights [major story spoilers for both nwn 1 and 2.]

megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
edited October 2018 in General Discussions NWN:EE
Noah Caldwell-Gervais the guy who did that look at baldurs gate video i posted awhile back and also did a pst video as well has now done a look at all the official content for nwn.

my only real issue with this video is he does compare darkness over daggerford to sod which rubbed me the wrong way but other then that it's a pretty good look at the series.

JuliusBorisov

Comments

• AncarionAncarion Member Posts: 155
    I sort of lost interest when he said NWN was neither a classic nor on anyone's top ten rpg list, two claims that are demonstrably false. Then I saw his Fighter character with 12 CHA and 12 DEX wearing some item that was giving him an INT bonus... And then he said he only played with Tomi, since he thinks a rogue is required to play to OC. I suppose the rest of the video might be interesting, but 3 hours is a lot of time to invest with someone who doesn't seem to know much about the game. I could be wrong, of course...
  • EPluribusUnumEPluribusUnum Member Posts: 4
    Ancarion said:

I sort of lost interest when he said NWN was neither a classic nor on anyone's top ten rpg list, two claims that are demonstrably false. Then I saw his Fighter character with 12 CHA and 12 DEX wearing some item that was giving him an INT bonus... And then he said he only played with Tomi, since he thinks a rogue is required to play to OC. I suppose the rest of the video might be interesting, but 3 hours is a lot of time to invest with someone who doesn't seem to know much about the game. I could be wrong, of course...

"Classic" is very subjective, and I'm sure he doesn't literally mean no one's top 10 list (just most), but his overall point, which is true, is that the game does tend to be overlooked alongside other RPG classics like Baldur's Gate, Fallout, or The Elder Scrolls.

I definitely agree that there are plenty of alternatives to taking Tomi (multiclassing, cross-class skills, certain spells...), and indeed he doesn't seem to have the best knack for tackling technical challenges the game throws at you, seemingly opting for the easier route (such as only making it through Baldur's Gate on "story mode", by his own admission) while preferring to explore the game's narrative options and puzzles. In virtually every other way, however, I think his analysis of the OC, and indeed all the adventures he covers, is thorough, accurate, and enjoyable.

It's a good video covering the care and creativity of the various campaigns and modules, and well worth sitting through IMO.

my only real issue with this video is he does compare darkness over daggerford to sod which rubbed me the wrong way but other then that it's a pretty good look at the series.

I'll have to go back and look for that bit, but I seem to recall him saying that DoD hits the mark much better than SoD did in evoking that classic BG feel.
    megamike15
  • SkipBittmanSkipBittman Member Posts: 146
    Imagine being pompous enough to think anybody wants three hours of your condescending prattle. I bet that sort of ego would come in handy!
  • voidofopinionvoidofopinion Member, Moderator Posts: 1,248
    edited October 2018
    Its like hipsters don't even D&D.

:/

• megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666

Imagine being pompous enough to think anybody wants three hours of your condescending prattle. I bet that sort of ego would come in handy!

you don't have to watch the whole video. he has time stamps so you can skip to whatever game you want to see his thoughts on.

this has been how his videos have been since forever.
  • Shia_LuckShia_Luck Member Posts: 39
    I thought that was pretty fair evaluation except he should have moved from NWN to all the community content and shown how that did things so much better rather than spend 2 hours on NWN2. That's a different game ,despite the name, and doesnt have half the breadth an depth of NWN community made stuff. . NWN shines Because of the toolset and community content .

Have fun :)

TarotRedhandvoidofopinion
  • FreshLemonBunFreshLemonBun Member Posts: 909
    It wasn't that bad but you have to understand that content creators like this person do it as a job and aren't experts in the subject matter. Experts in subject matter usually don't create engaging content either, so most content in any subject is usually not too accurate or in depth. The part where he questions his own fan status because he didn't know of MoW is somewhat self aware in that regard.

He also acknowledges several times that the true thing that sets NWN apart isn't the official content but then goes back to critiquing the official content. It's more of a review for casual observers and in that regard it's fine.