Skip to content

Creature ability scores and stats do not reflect properties from hides and equipped items?

So, I'm trying to convert some PNP creatures and NPCs to the game, and I am getting confused: in the PNP manuals, ability scores and details in general are "final" (that is, they take into account equipment, templates etc), but I'm not sure how to handle this in the toolset.

Example: this Living Armor I'm converting has, in PNP, 42hp thanks to a 15hp bonus, courtesy of a CON score of 14 and Toughness. However, it has applied a template that gives a +2 to CON. Therefore, I made a creature hide mimicking the CON bonus and actually gave it a base ability score of 12. This, however, decreased the HP bonus to 12. I know I can adjust the Hp bonus manually, but I am still curious if equipment etc are all things taken into account in the actual game.

Comments

• Dark_AnsemDark_Ansem Member Posts: 992
    Perhaps this could be a toolset improvement, @JuliusBorisov ?
  • DerpCityDerpCity Member, Moderator Posts: 303
    edited October 2018
    The numbers you see when editing a creature's stats are the creature's base stats, so naturally the items aren't considered in the same way that your item bonuses aren't when leveling up your character. In game the items bonuses are properly considered, meaning your creature would get the +2 constitution and extra hit points associated with it. I agree that it would be nice to have extra fields that showed stats after equipment bonuses, as CR takes non-creature items into account and it to prevent builders from needing to do extra (admittedly easy but nonetheless tedious) number crunching.
    Post edited by DerpCity on
  • Dark_AnsemDark_Ansem Member Posts: 992
    DerpCity said:

The numbers you see when editing a creature's stats are the creature's base stats, so naturally the items aren't considered in the same way that your item bonuses aren't when leveling up your character. In game the items bonuses are properly considered, meaning your creature would get the +2 constitution and extra hit points associated with it. I agree that it would be nice to have extra fields that showed stats after equipment bonuses, as CR takes non-creature items into account and it to prevent builders from needing to do extra (admittedly easy but nonetheless tedious) number crunching.

I agree, it would definitely be nice!