Skip to content

Blink, blink

PappaChazzPappaChazz Member Posts: 20
Another dose of curiosity: I saw, on YouTube, posted by Failed.Bard, a set of animated eyes that blink. Watch them for about 12 seconds and you'll likely watch for a while longer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KeBoicTMPgA

Apparently, his vfx is a bit beyond those my team has on the server that still needs to move over here. Is this sort of thing possible on NWN-EE? Definitely adds to realism and immersion, I mean.....wow.
Post edited by PappaChazz on

Comments

• Wall3tWall3t Member Posts: 90
    edited September 2018
    If they ever get around to movin to EE, sinfar.net already has these in there gameworld as eyes, and eyelashes. Theyre much more improved than these concepts which is great. just some food for thought.
  • PappaChazzPappaChazz Member Posts: 20
    If they can do it on their server, and Failed.Bard did it on his, then shouldn't it be able to be done with NWN-EE? I just like how the blinking eyes makes it come alive. Very impressive, and, I'd think, very immersive.

So, how would you add a looping animation to a head.mdl? Or would that go in the plt file?
  • LaputianBirdLaputianBird Member Posts: 107
    Body parts don't support their own animations. Sinfar's version is definitely implemented as vfxs.
  • FreshLemonBunFreshLemonBun Member Posts: 909
    A lot of the yammering about strange vfx requests early on is about making this kind of content easily usable. As a head aligned vfx it hovers in place regardless of the character's geometry so it will hover at the wrong position and be too big or too small. The sinfar system makes it possible to rotate/scale/translate the vfx as well as recolor it to have the eyelids match your skin color or maybe as eye shadow. So it's currently not possible to do it like that on NWN EE because those features aren't available, some of them should be on the Trello board however.

It seems the Trello card got moved to active at some point and then to shipped, which is odd because I don't remember any vfx updates. It could be finished internally or they might have gotten confused and thought they already did it when doing something else.
  • Failed_BardFailed_Bard Member Posts: 3
    The animated eyes would be better implemented via animated heads. Something that's possible in original NWN if the wing or tail node if moved to the head_g location and the head put into place as a wing/tail part instead.
    It's the limited support of animated parts that led to the use of VFX for simulating eyes, which as mentioned was only workable the way Sinfar did it because Mavrixio had made a system for moving, scaling, rotating, and recolouring VFX (And eventually everything else) for the server.

If animated head_g support got added in EE, I'd probably be able to slap together a few skinmeshed animated heads for a hak for it for samples. I've been spending more time lately playing around with that sort of animating anyways.
  • acidchalkacidchalk Member Posts: 70
    ah i was wondering if you could animate body parts, i guess not huh.
  • FreshLemonBunFreshLemonBun Member Posts: 909
    Attachments whether through vfx or some other similar system would still be a much better option in terms of customization. Sure a handful of modders could make a couple of animated heads but if you had animated and adjustable attachments like Sinfar does then you could still retrofit any head with more expressive features. You could allow something like eyes with heterochromea without needing a separate head for each variation.

That said there was a Trello card for making those vfx adjustments that Sinfar's system can make but it seems it was moved into the shipped cards archive without announcing the feature. I'll tag @JuliusBorisov to see if they can chase down what the status is for that card and if there actually has been work on adjusting body part aligned visual effects.

The link for the card in question to clear up confusion. https://trello.com/c/3yTYcIsZ

It should be noted this is different to scaling creatures and should probably also include recoloring/tinting channels for vfx.
  • DovescryDovescry Member Posts: 3
    Has this ever been resolved, or, as it was said before, was it either given up on, or thought to have been completed and wasn't?