Skip to content

Pathfinder : Kingmaker

Comments

• DrHappyAngryDrHappyAngry Member Posts: 1,577
    I finally got my dragon transformation on my Aasimar Paladin/Eldritch Scion/Dragon Disciple. It is fun to just turn into a dragon and start tearing people apart. I've got one smite evil, so it can get ridiculous. I'm a bit behind on casting, but magic's just buffs for this character, always rolling around with shield and mirror image. I think I'm only one AC point behind Valerie, just because of that sweet ring I found that I gave her, since it can only be used by neutrals and her levels in stalwart defender.

I'm at least past the spot where my first kingdom got destroyed, and well past the point where the game completely bugged out in the tavern on another character. My one weak spot is espionage, I only got my "minister" and have only been able to get up rank 2. It led to some riots, but I got things stabilized. Not sure if it's that I'm lawful good, but it's been tough to level.

I have noticed the descriptions on the tree for dragon disciple in the game don't show up properly, though. It shows dragon bite for a lot of other abilities, like dragon kin. You still get the right abilities, though

One of the things that kind of surprised me, is the insta-kill spells have a decent chance of succeeding. I've dropped plenty of big warriors with a phantasmal killer or turned a big bad into a dog with baleful polymorph. You have to pick your targets, but they can be really effective. For instance, warriors have low will saves, and just drop from phantasmal killer.

Having trouble deciding what i want to do next playthrough. Definitely need to finish a game as evil. I'll probably take another crack at a sword saint/rogue/duelist (but go rapier this time) or a lawful evil demonic sorcerer, since I've done the dragon disciple thing already.
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511

I'll probably take another crack at a sword saint/rogue/duelist (but go rapier this time)

The duelling sword would be the best choice for this, since you would automatically qualify for the feet that gives you a +2 shield bonus to AC and enables duellist abilities.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    DrHappyAngry
    Fardragon said:

I'll probably take another crack at a sword saint/rogue/duelist (but go rapier this time)

The duelling sword would be the best choice for this, since you would automatically qualify for the feet that gives you a +2 shield bonus to AC and enables duellist abilities.
    It's not a light or piercing weapon, so the duelist doesn't get to add their intelligence to damage. It was the mistake I made with the last build and taking elven curved blade.

@chimaera
    Ya, I meant Infernal, seems fitting for lawful evil. I'm not sure about the charm school, so i might have to look into it more before I try that.
    Oh, so I was wanting to ask what everybody thought about this, minorly spoilerish, but it comes pretty early in the game.

When you first get your barony, you're offered 500BP at the ceremony, but you have to exclusively contract his company.

You get 500BP to start your barony with, but after some time, you'll get a message saying all your buildings will cost like 15-25% more BP (I forget the exact number). After more time has pass, you'll eventually get a project your treasurer can undertake for 90 days to fix this.

After doing it both ways, I actually think taking the deal was the better choice. In that game I was able to get a bunch of stuff built up early before the build costs went up, and really got things humming along early. Plus it didn't raise the BP cost for projects, just buildings.

Although in my current playthrough, I spent a lot of the game feeling poor, since as lawful good I kept giving away lots of things. It wasn't until I finished with Varnhold that I felt like I wasn't poor. The game I took the deal, I was evil, so that might have just made me more flush with cash. Either way it definitely was easier to get things up and running.
    Skatan

Fardragon said:

It's not a light or piercing weapon, so the duelist doesn't get to add their intelligence to damage. It was the mistake I made with the last build and taking elven curved blade.

@chimaera
    Ya, I meant Infernal, seems fitting for lawful evil. I'm not sure about the charm school, so i might have to look into it more before I try that.
    The feat (I can't remember the name) specifically states "makes your duelling sword count as a piercing weapon with respect to qualifying for duellist abilities".

It has Weapon Focus: Duelling Sword and Weapon Finesse as prerequisites.
    Fardragon said:

Fardragon said:

@chimaera
    The feat (I can't remember the name) specifically states "makes your duelling sword count as a piercing weapon with respect to qualifying for duellist abilities".

It has Weapon Focus: Duelling Sword and Weapon Finesse as prerequisites.
    Interesting. There are some sweet dueling swords in the game.

So Linzi gave me a description of how Irovetti became king of Pitax, and I about died of laughter

• SorcererV1ct0rSorcererV1ct0r Member Posts: 2,176
    edited October 2018
    Anyone know that if the Pitax chapter still bugged?

https://steamcommunity.com/app/640820/discussions/0/3335371283883420825?ctp=4

Anyway, anyone managed to solo the first chapters of the game as a arcane caster? I tried but decided to go with a small party instead. Now i an replaying the game since my old save bugged on Pitax and i din't fought the "Lich" yet but i an lv 13. Did everything that i could to survive the starting levels as a arcane caster, picked summons used undead bloodline to get 5 DR on lv 3, picked some defensive spells, but in the end, i will need to constant rest to keep my slots and some puzzle, mainly arround varnhold area requires at least a party of four. Not sure if 3 with an animal companion can complete the puzzle, but at moment i have 4 party members.
    That's a bit worrisome, since I'm pretty sure I'm coming up on that point in the game soon.

I thought I had hit a bug when I went into the main square and couldn't leave. Turned out I was just meant to find something before leaving.

That's a bit worrisome, since I'm pretty sure I'm coming up on that point in the game soon.

I thought I had hit a bug when I went into the main square and couldn't leave. Turned out I was just meant to find something before leaving.

I an near this part who ruined my first playtrough, so i will wait until they fix to come back. Is sad because now unfortunately i have much free time. I tried to re play icewind dale but honestly, one think that i found very annoying is that for example on NWN1, i can drag my most used offensive spells to F1 to F12, all support spells to CTRL F1 to F12 and other stuff on SHIFT F1 to F12. On Pathfinder kingmaker i have a lot of freedom too. Even autocast i can use.

On icewind dale, i need to click on a "cast spell", then have all of my spells on a linear list with only the icon and to have an text i need to let my mouse above the icon for few seconds, some times takes minutes to find an spell that way... If i have 6 party members and 3 of then can cast spells...

I mean, i can criticize the insane amount of bugs, the loading times that takes an eternity and to deal with an event in throne i need a loading time to enter in the throne, a loading time to go to the city and a loading time to back to adventure, but at least on combat i can easily find hat i need to cast.

----------------------

And honestly, i liked more the classes on Pathfinder than on other games that i've played. Alchemist is very interesting, inquisitor too, the alterations to SORC, allowing unique bloodlines with unique benefits is very good IMO.

I an near this part who ruined my first playtrough, so i will wait until they fix to come back. Is sad because now unfortunately i have much free time. I tried to re play icewind dale but honestly, one think that i found very annoying is that for example on NWN1, i can drag my most used offensive spells to F1 to F12, all support spells to CTRL F1 to F12 and other stuff on SHIFT F1 to F12. On Pathfinder kingmaker i have a lot of freedom too. Even autocast i can use.

On icewind dale, i need to click on a "cast spell", then have all of my spells on a linear list with only the icon and to have an text i need to let my mouse above the icon for few seconds, some times takes minutes to find an spell that way... If i have 6 party members and 3 of then can cast spells...

I mean, i can criticize the insane amount of bugs, the loading times that takes an eternity and to deal with an event in throne i need a loading time to enter in the throne, a loading time to go to the city and a loading time to back to adventure, but at least on combat i can easily find hat i need to cast.

----------------------

And honestly, i liked more the classes on Pathfinder than on other games that i've played. Alchemist is very interesting, inquisitor too, the alterations to SORC, allowing unique bloodlines with unique benefits is very good IMO.
    There's no denying the bugs and load times. Makes me glad I invested in an NVME solid state drive. Still, way more demanding games have better load times. I admit, if this were a AAA game, I'd be reaching for my pitchfork and torch. However, this is a small company, and I recognize the fact that companies like this are in a "Release this now, so we can keep the lights on" mode. The fact is, they've made a fantastic epic game, but it does need a lot of polishing. To anyone who hasn't gotten into it yet, if you're concerned about the bugs, give it a month or 2, or even wait a year or so until some DLC comes out. They are working hard on it, and it has already gotten better, and will only improve. It is worth it, and I haven't seen a better CRPG in a long time, if ever. Their position isn't that different from a lot of small companies, release now, or people will lose their jobs, and we can't keep making great games.

It definitely does make it hard to go back to some of the older CRPGs with all the improvements they've made. I just wish they'd take one thing from the PoE games and Tyranny, and that's a fast mode for when you're moving around the maps.

And yes, the classes are very well thought out. I do wish they had a few more options in the prestige class area, but NWN released without any PRCs at all. I'm sure they'll add some more with DLC. Although I have to say Inquisitor is pretty much the same as Favored Soul from 3rd ed. The archetypes bring a great flair of individuality to each class, like the kits from BG2. I've got to say, I'm a huge fan of the Magus class. It brings back the fighter/mage from old school 2nd ed with a vengeance.

For me, this game is head and shoulders above the Pillars of Eternity games. It scratches all my CRPG itches. It takes it influences from games like Baldur's Gate 1 and 2, and then goes beyond them in creative ways. IMHO the PoE games didn't jibe as well with me, but Tyranny came close. Then again, I appreciate the learning curve and enjoy figuring the game out.

It's certainly kept me hooked enough that I haven't even looked at Assassin's Creed Odyssey, a game I've been excited for. I'm a big ancient history fan boy, so have wanted to play that. Kingmaker has exceeded all my expectations, by far.
    bleusteel
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    what state is the game in now? is it still a bug filled mess? has the game become more polished? and if it is still filled with bugs is it at least playable and doesnt take away from the play experience?

im really thinking about getting this game some time in december when its time for "hybernation" mode

----------------------

There's no denying the bugs and load times. Makes me glad I invested in an NVME solid state drive. Still, way more demanding games have better load times. I admit, if this were a AAA game, I'd be reaching for my pitchfork and torch. However, this is a small company, and I recognize the fact that companies like this are in a "Release this now, so we can keep the lights on" mode. The fact is, they've made a fantastic epic game, but it does need a lot of polishing. To anyone who hasn't gotten into it yet, if you're concerned about the bugs, give it a month or 2, or even wait a year or so until some DLC comes out. They are working hard on it, and it has already gotten better, and will only improve. It is worth it, and I haven't seen a better CRPG in a long time, if ever. Their position isn't that different from a lot of small companies, release now, or people will lose their jobs, and we can't keep making great games.

It definitely does make it hard to go back to some of the older CRPGs with all the improvements they've made. I just wish they'd take one thing from the PoE games and Tyranny, and that's a fast mode for when you're moving around the maps.

And yes, the classes are very well thought out. I do wish they had a few more options in the prestige class area, but NWN released without any PRCs at all. I'm sure they'll add some more with DLC. Although I have to say Inquisitor is pretty much the same as Favored Soul from 3rd ed. The archetypes bring a great flair of individuality to each class, like the kits from BG2. I've got to say, I'm a huge fan of the Magus class. It brings back the fighter/mage from old school 2nd ed with a vengeance.

For me, this game is head and shoulders above the Pillars of Eternity games. It scratches all my CRPG itches. It takes it influences from games like Baldur's Gate 1 and 2, and then goes beyond them in creative ways. IMHO the PoE games didn't jibe as well with me, but Tyranny came close. Then again, I appreciate the learning curve and enjoy figuring the game out.

It's certainly kept me hooked enough that I haven't even looked at Assassin's Creed Odyssey, a game I've been excited for. I'm a big ancient history fan boy, so have wanted to play that. Kingmaker has exceeded all my expectations, by far.
    You are right. Also, the developers already made a lot of paths to try to fix the game. The game will be ready soon. About classes, i don't think that inquisitor have any relation with favored soul, favored soul can cast tier 9 spells, inquisitor only tier 6. Not mention unique habilities. Inquisitor is a new class, similar to alchemist.
    sarevok57 said:

what state is the game in now? is it still a bug filled mess? has the game become more polished? and if it is still filled with bugs is it at least playable and doesnt take away from the play experience?

im really thinking about getting this game some time in december when its time for "hybernation" mode

Now i believe that 2/3 of the game is playable. At least i din't saw many complaints about chapter 1,2,3 and 4. And din't found any bug on my second playtrough. When you become king(not just a baron), i think that the most bugged part starts. I will play other games while wait for a fix. Keep in mind that the game is really long, according to a guy is 100 hours

https://steamcommunity.com/app/640820/discussions/0/1730963192544799402/
    sarevok57
    sarevok57 said:

So far my current playthrough has been fine, but I'm right before the bug @SorcererV1ct0r mentioned. To be frank, I can't say for sure you won't encounter a game breaking bug, but it's so worth it. This game is the CRPG epic I've been waiting for. It's got it's warts, but I love it, and will definitely back owlcat's next kickstarter. Like I said earlier, if you're super concerned about bugs, wait a month or 2, like when you're in hibernation mode. Sure, I wish the game had been bug tested a lot better, but they're small and still pulling off epic things, so I'm willing to forgive a lot of stuff. It is a lot more polished than when it released, but there's no denying it could use mroe. It's quite an epic, easily 100 hours to finish, so I haven't gotten through a full playthrough, yet.
    sarevok57
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited October 2018
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    sarevok57
  • DorcusDorcus Member Posts: 270
    sarevok57 said:

is it still a bug filled mess?

yes
    MERLANCE
    @SorcererV1ct0r I got past that bug you mentioned

Finished off Irovetti and when I got back to my capital met with the delegates from Pitax, after that Pitax was already annexed.

@SorcererV1ct0r I got past that bug you mentioned

Finished off Irovetti and when I got back to my capital met with the delegates from Pitax, after that Pitax was already annexed.
    I will backup my saves and try past the bugged part tomorrow. Try play with a small party was very funny but some parts was very hard. I mean, my party composition is at moment :
    - I, lv 13 undead bloodline sorc
    - Ekun lv 11
    - Jubilost lv 10(almost 11)

No XP share, to get higher tier spells soon.

Ekun with his companion beast can tank and if i need more tankers, animated dead and GG. His bow deals much damage and his "dog" is pretty good at tanking. Without him, some encounters will be much more hard and Jubilost, i need someone to disarm traps and his bombs helps a little. About cure, potions solve the problem, but since is mostly my summons who take damage, i don't need a cleric.

Also, both are very helpful at resting. Ekun is a good hunter and Jubilost is good at making camouflage for cmaping.
  • bleusteelbleusteel Member Posts: 523
    I’ve been playing since release with two different characters and I am really enjoying myself. I’m an old-school, AD&D and 2e PnP player that never dabbled in any newer editions except for IWD2, if that counts.

Some folks have complained that the game is too complex and there’s only a few useable combinations of classes and feats but a lot of people have said similar things about BG/BGEE. Part of the fun of BG is the endless character combinations that are all viable in their own ways. I feel that P:K amps that up a notch and before long we’ll see stories on the forums about naked magus poverty runs that finished the game.

So far, P:K really captures the feel of BG and D&D better than anything since, well, BG :-)
    DrHappyAngryDJKajuru
    Finally just got to level 16.

This build's pretty crazy, insane saves, ridiculous strength, lots of boosts to AC.
    I've only got shield, mirror image and heroism running on my character there. It gets stupid when I turn into a dragon or use smite evil. The problem with this build, is it spoils me with stupid high strength, and I get used to being able to lug around crazy amounts of crap.
    scriver
    odd bug in the current build: the "Wings" feat seems to have lost it's Aasimar 12 prerequisite. Shame it doesn't get a graphical effect!
    Fardragon said:

odd bug in the current build: the "Wings" feat seems to have lost it's Aasimar 12 prerequisite. Shame it doesn't get a graphical effect!

oh ya i was wondering about that, why Valerie and Ekun could take wings. I got wings though Dragon Disciple anyways, but I am an Aasimar. Could have taken it awhile ago, but why waste a feat? It was a bit disappointing that the wings weren't visible. Oh, well, I still get my +3 to dodge and move faster over difficult terrain.
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Apparently they are the Redbull kind of wings.
    Dorcus
  • lordkimlordkim Member Posts: 1,063
    I like this so much :)
    its equal BG ;)
    Well, I think I might be boned in the final chapter with companions dying left and right. Here's some advice that's spoilery.

Do EVERY companion's quest. Tristian just died because I never recruited Jaethal. Make sure you do Linzi's quest too. I forgot to talk to somebody at the tournament in Pitax, and once you leave the tournament, you can never go back. Also, make sure you take a ton of gold to the tournament, you'll never get access to those vendors again, at least I couldn't find them anywhere else. From what I'm reading, it sounds like this is the only part of the game that really punishes you for taking the evil path, and even if you complete Reg and Octavia's quests, if you pick the evil options, one or both can die.

I'm really not liking the way things are heading, and think it might be time for a new game with all I've learned.
    ThacoBell
  • bleusteelbleusteel Member Posts: 523
    @DrHappyAngry I won’t read the spoiler, but does whatever happens at least make sense? In hindsight perhaps?

There was another decent-sized patch today (now 1.0.11b). Hopefully many issues were addressed without regression. There is so much potential in this game!
    @bleusteel Not really, and one of the events kind of pissed me off.
    bleusteelDJKajuru
  • jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850
    sarevok57 said:

I check the store page on Steam at least 3 times a week, and they are releasing a patch nearly every other day and every one of them is fixing DOZENS of bugs. I am looking forward to playing this game one day, but right now it remains uninstalled and hidden in my Steam library. I'm not interested in beta testing this thing, and that is what is going on.
    sarevok57
  • VallmyrVallmyr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,457
    Yeahhhh my 61 hr save file is still broken and not loading and neither are any others with that character so my only choice is to restart. I'm going to wait for bug fixes + DLC to start again.