Skip to content

Best 2-hand Sword in IWD?

it been said that magical 2H swords are more powerful than 1H counterparts, but i found no paticularly powerful 2H sword in my run as a Berserker. In fact i have to use the Kresselack 2Hsword +1 almost the whole game, until reach the last area to have a +4 sword with no specific bonus effect. Is there actually a powerful 2H sword in game?

Comments

• sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    not really, in HoW you can get that ice two handed sword which has a couple unique abilities but at the end of the day, not all that crazy

there used to be more two handed swords in the game but HoW removed them from the random items tables, and that is another thing, even IF they were in game you only had a chance of getting a decent one ( with that chance not being that high )

i still like two handed swords because in principle it's my favourite weapon, but in IWD it seems that two handed axes and halberds get more love than two handed swords
  • DanacmDanacm Member Posts: 951
    @sarevok57 so what is good pick about two handers ? Halberds, axes, spears ?
    hmm...... joril's axe is quite damaging ( two handed axe, +1 con, -1 dex ) i think i recall finding a +4 halberd that did disease as well?

spears aren't exactly all that great since their base damage is 1d8, although there is a +5 spear in IWD ( i think the red salamander dude has it in chapter 6 )

see, one of the problems with IWD is the random treasure load of shenanigans which makes it hard to choose sometimes which weapons you can get mastery in, and i've only played the game maybe..... 100 times at most, so i don't have every item/random treasure memorized like i do for the bg series

although if you do two handed axes ( which i think just go under axe which is great because then you can always fall back on a single handed axe if you find a great one ) you should be in pretty good shape

with two handed swords, there is the guaranteed sword here and there, although more often than not they wont have those cool abilities at the higher enchantments

halberds are pretty much 50/50 some games i find loads of them, some i dont see any pretty much

as i said before when i go two handed weapon style i still choose two handed sword because it's my favourite weapon and at least i know i will eventually get a +4 version which does a solid 1d10+4 damage, which is quite decent
  • KetansatKetansat Member Posts: 4
    I think i prefer 1 hand axe and flair/morning star more than 2handed weapons now, with their ability to stun target, If you have a grandmaster fighter,with 4-5 attacks per round, your opponent usually stunned to death.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • SirBatinceSirBatince Member Posts: 882
    two handed sword of hammering or something is likely your best bet.

Isn't there a pretty good 2-hand sword +3 in the elven citadel?

its part of a random item table, its aight at its core, but nothing to amazing ( i think it does phasing damage? )
  • OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075
    In general, Icewind Dale 1's weapon balancing is very biased towards one-handed weapons. Pretty much all of the best weapons in the game are 1-handed.

In general, Icewind Dale 1's weapon balancing is very biased towards one-handed weapons. Pretty much all of the best weapons in the game are 1-handed.

yeah, the really favor long swords, morning stars/flails and axes
  • DonCzirrDonCzirr Member Posts: 165
    I noticed the lack of love for 2H Swords as well and was using the Kresselack +1 till just today.

After completing Upper Dorn's Deep however, I went back to Kuldahar and picked up the "Pikeman's End".

No special properties but it is a +3 which brought my Melee Orc to THACO 2 and Damage 17 -26.

So I am somewhat satisfied now ... even though I am 40k lighter in Gold ;)
    DonCzirr said:

I noticed the lack of love for 2H Swords as well and was using the Kresselack +1 till just today.

After completing Upper Dorn's Deep however, I went back to Kuldahar and picked up the "Pikeman's End".

No special properties but it is a +3 which brought my Melee Orc to THACO 2 and Damage 17 -26.

and very soon you will find a +4 two handed sword :)
  • DonCzirrDonCzirr Member Posts: 165
    sarevok57 said:

DonCzirr said:

and very soon you will find a +4 two handed sword :)
    Thanks for the tip.

It's all good though. The Kuldaharans are my peeps so I am happy to lavish my coin on them =)