Skip to content

If I have a low Charisma but 18+ reputation will I still get the good dialongs?

Just wondering. Also, I have a problem rolling more than 62 points during character creation, how many have you guys got?

And lastly, If I approach a shopkeep with my highest charisma character will the game could his charisma or mine when determining prices?

Comments

• DaevelonDaevelon Member Posts: 605
    edited October 2018
    2088432 said:

Just wondering. Also, I have a problem rolling more than 62 points during character creation, how many have you guys got?

And lastly, If I approach a shopkeep with my highest charisma character will the game could his charisma or mine when determining prices?

The answer for the title question is yes, if you mean "good" as alignment. Of course some dialogues that require High Charisma will not occur.
    For the discount question the game will use the charisma of the party leader, so it doesn't matter who will approach the merchant but only who is the leader.
    I'm quite shocked about your rolling, i thought that the inferior limit was always 75.
    EDIT: I confirm, the minimum is 75.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    Your charisma influences the reactions of some NPCs. For instance you may get a magical weapon inside Candlekeep if you have a high enough charisma. Shopkeepers are not influenced by your charisma, AFAIK, only by your reputation.

Regarding rolling characters the class you choose will influence your minimum rolls. Paladins for instance that have a very high minimum requirements usually roll high. I really have no idea what my highest roll ever was but it was 90+ score for a paladin.
  • DaevelonDaevelon Member Posts: 605
    mlnevese said:

Shopkeepers are not influenced by your charisma, AFAIK, only by your reputation.

As far as i can read from the manual the charisma and the reputation influence both the prices:

"Store Discount
    If your party leader has a high Charisma, your entire party
    can enjoy a discount on any goods purchased from stores
    or temples. Reputation also contributes to your discount,
    and these discounts are cumulative."

And i notice it on game as well.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    edited October 2018
    Yeap you're right... high charisma does lower prices as well... Note to self.. never post before being fully awake :)
    Post edited by mlnevese on
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,313
    There is a difference though in the way prices are affected by reputation and charisma. A low reputation will push prices up, but charisma of 15 or below has no effect (you get an increasing discount with charisma of 16+ up until the maximum discount at 20).
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    How are you rolling so low? 75 is the absolute stat minimum that the games roll.
    From context I think the 62 is the available points to allocate when all stats are set to their minimum level. That's not an easy way to think of rolls though because minimum stats vary according to both class and race.
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    Grond0 said:

From context I think the 62 is the available points to allocate when all stats are set to their minimum level. That's not an easy way to think of rolls though because minimum stats vary according to both class and race.

Wouldn't that be 57 for a human, half-orc, half-elf, gnome and elf?
    75 - 18

And 58 for a halfling due to their extra penalty?

75 - 17

And 59 for a dwarf with their even stiffer penalty?

75 - 16

• WatchForWolvesWatchForWolves Member Posts: 183
    edited October 2018
    Charisma never affects your dialogue choices.

Charisma affects your Reaction, a "hidden" stat which basically boils down to "how much people like me". Its only use is getting better rewards for quests, rewards which can usually be obtained in other ways(pickpocketing, murder)

But to answer your question, no, high reputation will not offset low Charisma. You get up to +4 Reaction from 20 Reputation, and +6 Reaction from 16 Charisma. If you dumped your Charisma all the way down to 3 you get a -8 Reaction penalty.
    edited October 2018
    Balrog99 said:

Grond0 said:

Wouldn't that be 57 for a human, half-orc, half-elf, gnome and elf?
    75 - 18

And 58 for a halfling due to their extra penalty?

75 - 17

And 59 for a dwarf with their even stiffer penalty?

75 - 16
    Not quite, no. Minimum stats vary by race and class, but there are no characters with lower than 24 - 3s in everything except their main stat with a 9. If you use a race other than humans that introduces higher minimums that over-ride the potential reduction in ability scores.

The 62 figure referred to though was the result of a specific roll by the OP for a specific character, i.e. asking what should be done with the 'spare' points available.

And in relation to dialogues, reaction scores do affect dialogues in the sense that there are a number of characters that will not offer you quests if you have a low reaction score. If you want to do every possible quest as a solo character you therefore won't want a low charisma score. However, none of those quests are important, so low charisma has no real effect on your ability to complete the game.
    Post edited by Grond0 on

Charisma never affects your dialogue choices.

Charisma affects your Reaction, a "hidden" stat which basically boils down to "how much people like me". Its only use is getting better rewards for quests, rewards which can usually be obtained in other ways(pickpocketing, murder)

But to answer your question, no, high reputation will not offset low Charisma. You get up to +4 Reaction from 20 Reputation, and +6 Reaction from 16 Charisma. If you dumped your Charisma all the way down to 3 you get a -8 Reaction penalty.

Charisma also affects morale break points and the frequency of NPC infighting.
  • jsavingjsaving Member Posts: 1,083
    That's really the main factor in my view. Getting merchant discounts doesn't matter because gold is so plentiful, and there are almost no dialogues where you get extra responses or better rewards from a high charisma, but you do get impacted by morale breaking. (And often, people don't realize it happened because they decided to dump CHA at character creation.)
  • ChroniclerChronicler Member Posts: 1,391
    Most dialogue doesn't draw directly on your charisma but rather your reaction score, which is influenced by both your charisma and your reputation.

I'm pretty sure that if your charisma is as low as 10, you can still get most of the good dialogues with a high enough reputation, but I've never toyed around with a charisma as low as 3.
  • TrollopsAndPlugTailsTrollopsAndPlugTails Member Posts: 49
    edited October 2018
    ThacoBell said:

This. Dump stat (I think it was around 5), recruit Kivan while having Viconia and she's dead first thing after the area change ;)
    You will also see Khalid and Kagain ran away much more often. It is the current leader's charisma that matters however, so unless you're a tank or a thief you probably won't be leading anyway.

• Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861

ThacoBell said:

This. Dump stat (I think it was around 5), recruit Kivan while having Viconia and she's dead first thing after the area change ;)
    You will also see Khalid and Kagain ran away much more often. It is the current leader's charisma that matters however, so unless you're a tank or a thief you probably won't be leading anyway.

Does Kivan actually kill Viconia? I knew they argued but I never realised they came to blows.
  • jsavingjsaving Member Posts: 1,083
    Yes, though some people use mods to avoid the role-playing consequences of having them in the same party.
  • Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861
    I regularly have them in the same party but since I am generally playing a paladin and am always in the leader slot the party members argue but rarely seem to get round to fighting.

Has combat between Kivan and Viconia always been a feature or is it new to the Enhanced Editions? In the old guides to vanilla BG1 I'm sure they weren't listed among the pairs who will end up fighting. They used to bicker but it never seemed to go anywhere.

@Permidion_Stark I'm fairly sure that it was always a thing. I don't know if it applies to BG1, but BG2 has proximity factor into some dialogues. So if you keep npcs far enough apart, they may never come to a breaking point.
  • compleCCitycompleCCity Member Posts: 52
    There are checks for each of the three in dialogues and scripts: reaction, reputation and charisma. Reaction, however, does not affect store prices. The links lead to the wiki where you, among other things, find tables of which value has which effect.