Skip to content

Pathfinder : Kingmaker

Comments

• SorcererV1ct0rSorcererV1ct0r Member Posts: 2,176
    edited October 2018

scriver said:

Most people having used axes to chop wood is relevant to fighting with axes in the same way most people having used knives to cut meat is relevant to swords.

Not at all, using knife is nothing like swinging a sword around or even using a knife in a fight. Cutting wood isn't exactly the same as swinging an axe at someone, but would give you some experience with the heft of the axe and knowing how to swing it to land the blade on the spot where you're aiming, and not just hitting them with the shaft. The motion is still a downward arc, whereas cutting meat with a knife is nothing like using one in a fight where you mainly would want to stab with it, maybe slash, but slashing isn't particularly effective.
    He is partially right. Anyway, if i remember correctly Romans used a lot of swords(Gladius) but Gladius was only an effective weapon with scutum(shield) in formation and since most enemies of romans don't wear armor, Gladius was not an bad weapon... Note that Greeks used most Spears/Shields
  • DrHappyAngryDrHappyAngry Member Posts: 1,577

scriver said:

Most people having used axes to chop wood is relevant to fighting with axes in the same way most people having used knives to cut meat is relevant to swords.

Not at all, using knife is nothing like swinging a sword around or even using a knife in a fight. Cutting wood isn't exactly the same as swinging an axe at someone, but would give you some experience with the heft of the axe and knowing how to swing it to land the blade on the spot where you're aiming, and not just hitting them with the shaft. The motion is still a downward arc, whereas cutting meat with a knife is nothing like using one in a fight where you mainly would want to stab with it, maybe slash, but slashing isn't particularly effective.
    He is partially right. Anyway, if i remember correctly Romans used a lot of swords(Gladius) but Gladius was only an effective weapon with scutum(shield) in formation and since most enemies of romans don't wear armor, Gladius was not an bad weapon... Note that Greeks used most Spears/Shields
    The tip of the gladius had a very narrow point, just so it could pop open rings in ring mail or get into gaps in armor. They actually inherited the weapon from the Celts. They also typically carried 2 javelins that would be thrown before engaging the enemy in melee. They fought plenty of armored Greeks and Macedonians when defending against the invasions of Pyrrhus and in turn conquering Greece.
    SorcererV1ct0r
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Honestly, the only swords I do like are macuahuitl. Mainly because they are half paddle and the other half a mix between axe and sword. Also, they're deadly to White Walkers. Being made out of obsidian and all.

Alas, they're not in Pathfinder: Kingmaker... So I have to stick with greatclubs instead.
    What's the deal with Falchions being 2 handed weapons in video games? They varied a lot, but mostly they were more like sabers and were one handed blades.

So, I think I've gotten the kingdom management down really well. My neutral evil empire is actually Serene, right after finishing the tournament in Pitax, so I've got a +1 resolving problems and opportunities. I took the approach of mostly trying to level up everything fairly evenly, so all my advisors have a decent chance of resolving events. My arcane and espionage are still a little behind, though. The one thing you really want to do is push up your military early on, just so you can recruit your Warden, then level them up. Apparently most of your kingdom's status is derived from your warden successfully resolving events.
    What's the deal with WarBows being an DEX weapon in video games?

On Dark Souls for eg, bows are DEX and crossbows STR. This doesn't make any sense. Warbows require a ton of strength to be use, i an pretty strong and fire a 180 lbf bow is one thing, accurate consecutive fire a 180 lbf bow is completely different and i can't do that. Also, armor should protect you from more severe injuries even if the bow penetrate.

DrHappyAngry

On Dark Souls for eg, bows are DEX and crossbows STR. This doesn't make any sense. Warbows require a ton of strength to be use, i an pretty strong and fire a 180 lbf bow is one thing, accurate consecutive fire a 180 lbf bow is completely different and i can't do that. Also, armor should protect you from more severe injuries even if the bow penetrate.

I'd still say it requires some amount dexterity to aim and hit, but you're definitely right using a bow with that amount of pull would require a lot of strength, and doing it repeatedly would require stamina. Didn't 2nd Ed require like 17 strength just to use a composite long bow, or something like that? And that is really silly if they use strength for a crossbow, a lot of them had levers or even cranks to pull the string back. Plus, once the string's pulled, you don't have to exert any effort to hold it. The old gastrophetes had an arch you'd rest against your belly so you could pull the string back against it. I guess game mechanics wise it'd get really complicated if you had to make a strength check each time you used it, then constitution checks to keep firing, in addition to the actual attack rolls. Probably wouldn't be a terrible idea to have a strength requirement to fire the bigger bows, though. I'm not sure how Pathfinder deals with this in PnP. It's a little crazy anybody that can use a long bow can use The Devourer of Metal, it being a giant bow, and all.
    ThacoBell

I'd still say it requires some amount dexterity to aim and hit, but you're definitely right using a bow with that amount of pull would require a lot of strength, and doing it repeatedly would require stamina. Didn't 2nd Ed require like 17 strength just to use a composite long bow, or something like that? And that is really silly if they use strength for a crossbow, a lot of them had levers or even cranks to pull the string back. Plus, once the string's pulled, you don't have to exert any effort to hold it. The old gastrophetes had an arch you'd rest against your belly so you could pull the string back against it. I guess game mechanics wise it'd get really complicated if you had to make a strength check each time you used it, then constitution checks to keep firing, in addition to the actual attack rolls. Probably wouldn't be a terrible idea to have a strength requirement to fire the bigger bows, though. I'm not sure how Pathfinder deals with this in PnP. It's a little crazy anybody that can use a long bow can use The Devourer of Metal, it being a giant bow, and all.
    Honestly, i think that someone with less than 16 STR should be able to use a warbow BUT should receive an penalty on attack rolls and on damage, since presumably they can't fully draw the bow(draw and fully draw are two different things)

About real life stats, someone who can lift 500kg on leg press 45º and walk at a decent speed carrying 85kg will probably have what level of STR?
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    @SorcererV1ct0r Strength in DnD seems to be measured entirely in carry strength. So just figure how lbs the person in your example can carry for 8 hours without being slowed down.
    edited October 2018
    ThacoBell said:

@SorcererV1ct0r Strength in DnD seems to be measured entirely in carry strength. So just figure how lbs the person in your example can carry for 8 hours without being slowed down.

If i remember correctly, the average peasant have 10 STR. That means that the average peasant on D&D can carry 150 pounds(almost 70kg) for 8 hours?

"This is the weight (in pounds) that you can carry, which is high enough that most characters don't usually have to worry about it. Push, Drag, or Lift. You can push, drag, or lift a weight in pounds up to twice your carrying capacity (or 30 times your Strength score)." source https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-ab&q=d&d+lift+rule&spell=1&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj-9dGj_qzeAhVCQpAKHUTTCowQBQgqKAA&biw=1280&bih=910

PS : I can push a car(and did it) but not lift...
    DrHappyAngry
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072

What's the deal with Falchions being 2 handed weapons in video games? They varied a lot, but mostly they were more like sabers and were one handed blades.

In DnD 3.5, as well as Pathfinder, the Falchion weapon type represent two-handed scimitars, or similar swords like the German war-knife (kriegsmesser), which was basically a really big German-style real-world-term-falchion.

Like with other weapon types you have to separate real world terminology and the ingame terms.

ThacoBell said:

If i remember correctly, the average peasant have 10 STR. That means that the average peasant on D&D can carry 150 pounds(almost 70kg) for 8 hours?

"This is the weight (in pounds) that you can carry, which is high enough that most characters don't usually have to worry about it. Push, Drag, or Lift. You can push, drag, or lift a weight in pounds up to twice your carrying capacity (or 30 times your Strength score)." source https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-ab&q=d&d+lift+rule&spell=1&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj-9dGj_qzeAhVCQpAKHUTTCowQBQgqKAA&biw=1280&bih=910

PS : I can push a car(and did it) but not lift...
    Now that's hilarious. Seems like Pathfinder has more reasonable values
    https://www.d20pfsrd.com/alignment-description/carrying-capacity/
    A 10 strength gives you light encumbrance up to 33 lbs. or less, medium at 34–66 lbs and heavy at 67–100 lbs. Still seems kind of high, I can't really picture the average person lugging 33 pounds around without getting winded. It says a character can lift their max load above their head, so a person with a 10 strength could lift 100 pounds over their head.
    I cant remember if it was one way or the other, but isn't DnD items massively overweight anyway? Clearly the Faerun pound is much less than ours.
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    Hey there, I've restarted the game and reached chapter 2, playing on normal mode. If you could help me with a couple of things:

- My tanks are Amiri and Regongar. I've managed to have them achieve AC 22 with light armor (Hide armor+2 and Chain Shirt+2, respectively) and feats+ items. Is there any way to make them even better or more defensive ? (for RP reasons I don't intend to multiclass or use heavier armor, so only feats and other items, or spells).

-Does Regongar romance good characters? I've had the tavern scene and slept with Octavia, but I'd like to romance him as well.

-My character is a neutral good cleric of Erastil, with weapon focus and several feats related to longbow . He's quite a good archer so far with the Stag Lord's bow but can he get any better? I don't intend to multiclass him because he's the only cleric in my party and I'll need not only healing but also those effect-removal spells as soon as possible, not to mention raise dead and the like.

• FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    Amiri is better once she gets Uncanny Dodge at level 5 (her flat footed AC tends not to be so good). Don't feel she has to use a two handed weapon, she will tank better with a shield. Reg needs to keep Mage Armor and Shield up at all times. Both will benefit from someone casting False Life and Barkskin on them.

I have found several magical longbows.
    Mage armor only provides 4 points of AC, the same as a plain chain shirt, so if Regs already got at least that on, it won't do anything, same with Bracers of Armor +4 or better. Shield will stack with them, however. Mirror Image is an awesome spell, and just has a chance of completely negating a hit. He's pretty much made for dragon disciple, too, which gives you armor boosts at specific levels. I know you said you weren't wanting to multi-class, but it is kind of an evolution of his class and there are RP reasons to do it too. However, if you take 7 Magus levels, you get the ability to wear and cast spells in medium armor, but you said you weren't wanting heavier armor.

You can romance Octavia and Reg as good, but the path's pretty buggy right now, and I've had it get the game stuck in a loop forcing you into the tavern any time you enter the main square, and not playing the cut scene and being unable to leave.

In chapter 2, there's a really awesome bow, and it might be debatable whether a lot of bows after it are any better.
    Regongar doesn't need Mage Armor, he can wear actual armour.
    Fardragon said:

Indeed, longbows are like the most common purely ranged weapon you can find in the game. Then come light crossbows, shortbows, staff slings and lastly heavy crossbows. I mean, has anyone here found a magical heavy crossbow besides Heavy Crossbow +1 amongst the first three chapters? I sure haven't...
    DrHappyAngry

Fardragon said:

Indeed, longbows are like the most common purely ranged weapon you can find in the game. Then come light crossbows, shortbows, staff slings and lastly heavy crossbows. I mean, has anyone here found a magical heavy crossbow besides Heavy Crossbow +1 amongst the first three chapters? I sure haven't...
    I can't remember if I got it in the first 3 chapters, but my blacksmith brought me one that I think had a chance to slow the target, iirc. Still was only a +1, though, so didn't wind up using it. I think it was called knee splitter.
    Kamigoroshi
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694

Fardragon said:

I can't remember if I got it in the first 3 chapters, but my blacksmith brought me one that I think had a chance to slow the target, iirc. Still was only a +1, though, so didn't wind up using it. I think it was called knee splitter.
    "I used to be an adventurer like you, until I took a arrow in the knee..." Tribute?

Was it the elderly half-orc or perhaps another one? There are as many artisans as there are claimable regions... something around eleven if I remember. And even then those artisans seem to randomly drop something in your throne room.
    LadyRhian said:

Fardragon said:

"I used to be an adventurer like you, until I took a arrow in the knee..." Tribute?

@Kamigoroshi It was the Dwarf you can hire and build a smithy for.
    That one who said something about the dwarven road and debts? Dang, I choose the lawful evil route and made him wait for an bureaucratical eternity.

That one who said something about the dwarven road and debts? Dang, I choose the lawful evil route and made him wait for an bureaucratical eternity.

I don't know if he eventually gets his shop if you do that. You also have to actually build it in a town, so you might see if the option's available. Most of the stuff he gives you is pretty forgettable and not that valuable until you get to like chapter 5. Also, if you ask him to make a one handed axe, he always makes you a 2 handed axe. It generally seems that letting him make whatever he wants by not specifically asking for something gets you the most valuable item. There's not that many options to ask for, like a warhammer, an axe, a heavy crossbow, plate mail, or something in the dwarven style. I think I might've missed one or 2 others.
    Sadly, choosing the LE way makes him unavailable as an artisan to you. The same pretty much happens with Tsanna and a couple other artisans as well. It is mind boggling that the game specificly forces you to break your baron's character for recruiting people.

Sadly, choosing the LE way makes him unavailable as an artisan to you. The same pretty much happens with Tsanna and a couple other artisans as well. It is mind boggling that the game specificly forces you to break your baron's character for recruiting people.

It gets worse near the end with your companions and the choices you made with them. A shame, because in a lot of other spots, the game rewards evil behavior, and good is the more difficult choice.

It gets worse near the end with your companions and the choices you made with them. A shame, because in a lot of other spots, the game rewards evil behavior, and good is the more difficult choice.
    I think that the summon monster from good is better than evil. But the game is much more easy and interesting on evil. I played on my sec playtrough as evil until i reached lv 12 then started to take good decisions and not at lv 15 my undead sorc is good...

One more thing about games who forces you to play on melee. I loved Gothic, mainly Gothic 3 because you can start the game with bows and learn magic in less than half of hour but Risen i hated, why? Piranha Bytes forces you to play on melee for a long time and theyr melee combat ****. The guy takes almost 5 seconds dancing battlet to do an overswing cut, you have pistols/crossbows to use until you get magic? Yes but can you guess the effective range of this weapons? Melee range(i can easily hit targets at 50m with a crossbow IRL) and only hit on arround 55% of times. They are only useful because is faster to draw a pistol, fire and guard the pistol than to do the long ballet choreography before an sword strike. I downloaded an save after you joined the mages and finally managed to enjoy Risen 3 only because it...

Pathfinder Kingmaker do exactly the opposite, you can be anything, even an Aasimar Sorcerer with Abbyssal bloodline, can choose anything from start. Stat, class, race, alignment, etc. This is how RPG's should be. The unique RPG with fix protagonist who i wanna play is Vampyr... And even Vampyr will be much better if you can choose everything on your MC.

I think that the summon monster from good is better than evil. But the game is much more easy and interesting on evil. I played on my sec playtrough as evil until i reached lv 12 then started to take good decisions and not at lv 15 my undead sorc is good...

One more thing about games who forces you to play on melee. I loved Gothic, mainly Gothic 3 because you can start the game with bows and learn magic in less than half of hour but Risen i hated, why? Piranha Bytes forces you to play on melee for a long time and theyr melee combat ****. The guy takes almost 5 seconds dancing battlet to do an overswing cut, you have pistols/crossbows to use until you get magic? Yes but can you guess the effective range of this weapons? Melee range(i can easily hit targets at 50m with a crossbow IRL) and only hit on arround 55% of times. They are only useful because is faster to draw a pistol, fire and guard the pistol than to do the long ballet choreography before an sword strike. I downloaded an save after you joined the mages and finally managed to enjoy Risen 3 only because it...

Pathfinder Kingmaker do exactly the opposite, you can be anything, even an Aasimar Sorcerer with Abbyssal bloodline, can choose anything from start. Stat, class, race, alignment, etc. This is how RPG's should be. The unique RPG with fix protagonist who i wanna play is Vampyr... And even Vampyr will be much better if you can choose everything on your MC.
    Got to say, I was excited for Vampyr, got a few hours in, and just felt like a chore to play, long conversations with whiny people I generally didn't care about.

I'm closing in on finishing it up with my duelist. Having done the melee route, I think I'm going to give sorcerer a go next. Still leaning towards an infernal, lots of destructive and mind magic. I'll be taking a full party, so I'm less concerned about summons, but still may take some. Probably human, not sure if I want to try and pump Charisma all the way up to 20, or spread things out a bit more. Dex, Con and Int would be nice to have for hitting with ranged touch attacks, hp and some skills. Probably go lawful evil, and force myself to take Jaethal, she did seem better once she had more spells. Probably long term I'll roll with Jaethal, Nok-Nok, Regongar, Valerie and Harrim.
    edited October 2018
    scriver said:

Regongar doesn't need Mage Armor, he can wear actual armour.

There are advantages to Mage Armor over a mail shirt - No max dex (and Reg can be buffed with Cat's Grace) - no skill penalties (Reg is the go-to guy for Athletics checks) - can wear a mage robe. And he gets the spell for free anyway.
    edited October 2018

Was it the elderly half-orc or perhaps another one? There are as many artisans as there are claimable regions... something around eleven if I remember. And even then those artisans seem to randomly drop something in your throne room.
    Both the Dwarf and the Half-Orc smiths can make magical heavy crossbows (I'm actually using one which has a "Slow" effect on the target).

You can be evil without being stupid evil. Just because an option is labelled evil doesn't mean it's the only thing any evil person would ever do. You can be evil and pragmatic.

Try turning off the alignment notifications in the options and actually role-play your choices.
    SkatanThacoBell