Skip to content

Should I make SoD canon in my mind...or not?

Comments

• ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    @Arthas I don't want to start gossiping about former forumites, we disagreed a lot and lets leave it at that.

@byrne20 Luckily you now can! A fantastic mod, currently under development by @BCaesar and @Ratatoskr titled "All Things Mazzy" has a component in the current release that allows you to do just that!
  • byrne20byrne20 Member Posts: 503
    Wow thanks for the info @ThacoBell I will keep my eye open for that Mod.
  • BCaesarBCaesar Member Posts: 453
    byrne20 said:

Wow thanks for the info @ThacoBell I will keep my eye open for that Mod.

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/71473/playable-clara-all-things-mazzy-version-1-037/p1?new=1

It's right here. She's not greatly fleshed out yet, but she exists and has some interjections here and there as well.
  • The_CheesemanThe_Cheeseman Member Posts: 175
    I think SoD is great! The areas are well-designed, the battles are both challenging and fair, and it has some really interesting new items to play with. The storyline seems pretty much on-par with anything from BG2, and it’s neat having an antagonist that isn’t evil, for a change.

A lot of people dislike the linearity of the plot, but I think it works fine. It’s a more large-scale, strategic campaign, rather than a small-scale, tactical one like what we’re used to. Instead of driving the conflict, the PCs are along for the ride, traveling with an army, so of course the events are more rigidly structured. Also, being a bridge between two existing games, there really isn’t much room for free exploration. Content of that kind would have made more sense as an expansion of the two existing campaigns.

So while it may be different than what we’re used to, I think it’s pretty awesome. Rather than trying to compete with the sandbox exploration of BG1, or the more modular structure of BG2, they chose to make something unique. I think that is deserving of praise, and makes a fine addition to the series.
  • Yulaw9460Yulaw9460 Member Posts: 634
    edited November 2018
    Deleted.
    Post edited by Yulaw9460 on
    How dare someone have a happy ending? I get the umbrage.
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    the issue is more the fact that thanks to the plot events of sod it makes no sense for you to go back to bg.

i think thats also the only ending where you do go back to bg anyways.
    So the real issue is, Anomen ruins everything. Again. ;)
    edited November 2018
    Deleted.
  • VasculioVasculio Member Posts: 469
    I've already adapted it in the canon... now i want a new expansion that finishes the plot from Siege of Dragon Spear.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited November 2018
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    edited November 2018
    Deleted.
    Didn't "Murder at Baldur's Gate" come out BEFORE SoD?
    yes.
    Then I'm not sure what "Sanctioned Canon" @Yulaw9460 is going on about. Unless they mean the terrible novels. Which WotC have un-canoned anyway.
    edited November 2018
    Deleted.
    edited November 2018
    Deleted.
    Yulaw9460 said:

Un-canoned? So which part is canon? Abdel or being forgiven for 1st degree murder out of the blue?

NONE of WotC's "canon" is canon to the games. So I don't even know what you are complaining about.
    well you also go to factor in by the time that slide happend jon is dead so you could just say all charges were dropped and skies soul was put to rest as a result if you don't want to factor in mods.
    edited November 2018
    Deleted.
    @Yulaw9460 "I've had a fair amount of questions like that regarding examples of plot incongruity between SoD and BG2. Or is the answer to that conundrum much more simple? SoD is, simply put, a horribly executed incoherent piece of narrative? And I just shouldn't bother with it anymore?

Huh... actually, that seems rather like the good ol' days. No worries, then. Your input has been greatly appreciated, ThacoBell. Thank you."

That's not what I'm saying at all and you know it. I have been trying to understand your position, but you have refused to clarify any of your vague statements. If you can't give any actual reasons or answer simple questions, then your ire is most likely blind nostalgia.
  • AmmarAmmar Member Posts: 1,297
    edited November 2018
    The Anomen romance ending is perfectly consistent with SoD. The first part is literally this (bolding mine):

Anomen and CHARNAME continued adventuring until they were known as heroes almost everywhere they went. Many were the grand tales of the Shining Knight and his utter devotion to his great lady. CHARNAME's past as the terrible Bhaalspawn was forgotten forever as new deeds replaced old and a legacy was created that far outstripped anything granted by godly blood.

Which comes before the marriage part.
  • Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861
    Has anyone ever actually married Anomen? Seriously? What were you thinking?
  • StummvonBordwehrStummvonBordwehr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,350

Hold on a moment. As a RL Anomen Delryn clone, I’d say that Anomen is a great guy - you have to look for the good stuff to appear, but once you get there everything is good (well some of it at least).

Anomen is such a great guy, that he all by himself closes the soultaker plot in his postgame epitah. Thats so awesome!!

On topic:
    SoD is such a great game. The devs have closed the gap between the games in great style.

There are plotholes and inconsistencies - but fewer than in BG1 and 2. IMHO SoD has become canon. Not by default, but by merit
    well until beamdog closes it themselves [ which is very unlikely] the soul taker plot was already closed thanks to lava's The Cost of One Girl's Soul mod.

well until beamdog closes it themselves [ which is very unlikely] the soul taker plot was already closed thanks to lava's The Cost of One Girl's Soul mod.

Oh its gonna happen.
  • batoorbatoor Member Posts: 676
    edited November 2018

I'm pretty sure as far as real life historical knights and marriages are concerned, there are probably far worse marriage candidates than Anomen^^

I would say SoDs bridge between the games was ''adequate'', but could have been so much better with some tie-ins in BG2.

I also think compared to the original trio(Dorn, Neera, Rasaad) the new characters in SoD felt like a huge improvement in how they were written.

Yeah, Trent needs to stop making bad decisions and get us some SoD content in BG2.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    edited November 2018
    Deleted.