Skip to content

Demihuman Charname Thread! Stats, RP ideas, Portraits!

1235»

Comments

• ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Starting my run with Mirik (draconian for "song"), the neutral good half lizardfolk (Bhaal was feeling kinky that day). She has difficulties with emotion due to the lizard half, but with enough close contact with a person, emotional attachement CAN develop. When she does develop that bond, she guards it FIERCELY. Starting out, she only really feels any kind of affection for Imoen and Gorion (what could possibly go wrong?). Because she has stunted access to her emotions, dealing with complicated situations is difficult for her. Luckily, she has learned the concept of "humor"! Now whenever she doesn't know how to respond to something, she knows that laughing will always help her fit in!
  • VallmyrVallmyr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,458
    Will you be EE-keepering her to use the lizardfolk model or just using base character model with appropriate skin color?
    I'll be going for a human base with appropriate skin color. I found a lovely pale green portrait for it. I RP that due to her mixed nature (and with raes that normally probably wouldn't be compatible), she largely has a human build, but her scaled hide is splotchy and not a perfect cover, so her face is fairly exposed. She grows her hair long to hide lizard-like ridges on her head (for more ease of interaction with people who may be more standoffish). She has a small tail as well, but its mostly vestigal, so its fairly easy to hide.
    Well crap. I read this thread again on a whim, and now I'm THIS CLOSE to scrapping all the planning I had put into my next run in favor of another non-traditional race.
  • ZaghoulZaghoul Member, Moderator Posts: 3,938
    Hehheh, I'm hearin' ya man. I just scrapped a good run into BG to go back to humanoids myself. It was just too tempting after I thought on it for a spell.
    @Zaghoul Haven't you around much lately. How you been?
    Thanks TBell, I've mostly been testing out new kits and race ideas in BG. RL has been a bit of a challenge as of late but I am pushing forward as usual. Restartitis has been a bit strong so going back to my ogre runs for a change up. I bout forgot how their low int locks me out of wands with them til late in the game, and with SCS added to my list now it should make the run a bit more challenging I think.
    Heh, I'm kinda like 7-11, I may not be as active in general but I'm always open for business. :)
    I hear you on irl stuff. Been incredibly busy lately too. Haven't touched BG in at least a couple months.
  • ElrandirElrandir Member Posts: 1,664
    Here's a kobold for you guys, by artist Kaerou
    6ycrbcnpk9f5.png
    Attached are the converted versions ready for dropping into your portraits folder.
    Guh, happy kobold! :)
    Kobolds are shaped like friends.
    Oh, the itch is hitting me again. I need to do another non-standard charname. I'm thinking Flumphs this time. They have long been one of my favorite races.
    Lookit this precious friend:
    latest?cb=20171010183015
    I dig it, but what would you use for the character model? (Unless there is a flumph model I've just forgotten about)
    @Vallmyr There isn't, story of my life. Worst case, my Flumph can polymorph. Though I would rp it as not being perfect. Maybe his eyestalks will always be visible or something equally odd anf funny.

I'm trying to figure out how to do the stats. They would obviously get bonuses to Int and Wis, but I'm not sure how much. Possibly a dex bonus and a str penalty as well?
    Hmm, that's a tough one for sure. A natural AC of 0 on top and 8 underneath (maybe average it to 4) Say 20 dex (+2) max, 19 max Int and Wis (+1 ea) and due to small size maybe 10 or 12 Str or so tops. Not sure of Con or Chr. Polymorph could change things thought a little I reckon. At least being able to use weapons and wands then. Add infravision as well I think.
    That's info from the old Fiend Folio and D&D wiki / D&D beyond sources.
    Yeah, this one is gonna be awhile in the planning probably. I am playing with the idea of an imperfect polymorph. Like, maybe his eye stalks keep reveting and there is always at least one limb that stays as tentacles or something.
    Okay, I think I have a base to work with. Meet Friemb the Flumph:

hkb8z0aj408n.jpg

Lawful Good and normal gentle and playful, but since he was raised away from other Flumphs, he never learned how to properly cope with all the emotions that he is bombarded with due to his passive feeding of psychic energy. As a result, when around those with strong enough emotions, he can temporarily take on their mannerisms and feelings. This constant struggle with his self, and the emotions of others has left him slightly unstable. This affects his attmept to polymorph himself to better fit in, in humanoid society. His polymorph is imperfect and extremeties like his eye stalks, his tentacles, and even his large mouth will occasionally revert, making him look somewhere between humanoid and flumph. Aslo, he cannot stop the innate color change that denotes his mood.

I'll play him as always trying to take the diplomatic way out and try to limit loss of life. But because of his passive connection to others, will occasionally have uncharacteristic outbursts.

As for stats, 5e give the modifiers as -2str, +2 dex, int, and wis. I use 5e ability scores as a house rule, so I'll srick with that here. Friemb will be a bard, but rather than a performer, he acts as a lorekeeper and storyteller. As befitting a Flumph's racial wisdom and intelligence.
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    Vallmyr wrote: »
    I dig it, but what would you use for the character model? (Unless there is a flumph model I've just forgotten about)

The model for a gauth might work. Not sure about movement speed though. I tried to use a lich model once but it moved at a snail's pace even with boots of speed.
  • kansasbarbariankansasbarbarian Member Posts: 206
    I have played through a few chapters as a half ogre, orog, minotaur, bugbear, and hobgoblin. But I lost interest due to normal reactions with npcs.