Skip to content

Pathfinder : Kingmaker

Comments

• DrHappyAngryDrHappyAngry Member Posts: 1,577
    Skatan said:

Fardragon said:

It should perhaps be noted that Charge gives -2 to AC, and the character doesn't move until their initiative point, so you probably won't want to use for your main tank.

I make a lot of use of fighting defensively.

True it gives a -2 to AC, but if you use it as an opener it's great on a tank, it puts them right up there from the beginning of the fight and draws the aggro. Using it for an opener before the fight has actually started lets them do it without actually waiting for an initiative roll.
    I can't get this to work more than half of the time. The other half they just stand around or the nothing happens when I click Charge. Oddly enough it works for Amiri a lot but not for Valerie. At first I assumed it was something weird with the distance since I have Amiri set up further behind, but even from >10 distance, Valerie still ends up standing still a lot or just slowly walk towards the enemy instead of charging. Same with my fighter charname, works poorly with him too.
    Amiri does move a lot quicker. I have had some fights where it kind of bugs out and resets as combat begins, but that's not too often for me at least. If there's anything in the way between the character and their target, like a bush, rock or other barrier, you can't charge at all. It does get a bit easier when you get some boots that boost speed on Valerie.

I think you're clicking charge once the fight's started, right? They have to wait until their initiative for the round comes up to do it if the fight's already started. When you mouse over them, you can see the timer till they can take action, so you have to do some guesswork as to whether you should wait for initiative to use it, or just walk over there and attack like normal. I don't use it that often once the fight's started, but it's a great opener.

If you get really good at your timing, you can throw a slow spell, a fireball and still start the charges before combat starts. It's tricky, since you have to be mostly done with casting the spells. With a fireball you want it to be in the air, but not landed, so as not to actually start combat when you click charge, but late enough to not have your frontline run right into the fireball. It takes some practice to pause just at the right moment when casting, but works great.
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    It's your initiative roll. Amiri has a higher initiative bonus than Valerie, so doesn't stand around waiting for her turn for so long.

This is as per PnP rules. It's moving when it isn't your turn that goes against PnP rules (and can often mean that Valarie is flat-footed).
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    chimaera said:

@Skatan
    You could try casting expeditious retreat on Valerie or your fighter, Jubilost with infusion can do it.

On topic of favorite abilitites: alchemist bombs roll against touch ac. (you can probably guess what my favorite class is :smile: )

How well does that work for you? I'm probably speccing and playing him wrong, but every time I take Jubilost, he feels like a fifth wheel, and the bombs don't seem to do much.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited November 2018
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    DrHappyAngry
  • SorcererV1ct0rSorcererV1ct0r Member Posts: 2,176
    Alchemist bombs also don't have problems against mobs with high SR like Golems for eg. IMO Jubilost > Linzie
    DrHappyAngry
    Ah it was infusion that I was missing. I had gone with explosive bombs and cognatagion or whatever it's called.

Also, Linzi rocks in a full size party, but could totally see her not working for you @SorcererV1ct0r. This is the first time I've not taken her, and I sorely am missing her at times. Inspire competence is so great for passing those skill checks, and the buffs just make the warriors shine.
    Also agree that Alchemists are awesome. The cone attack is very useful with no chance of friendly fire. Shield on an animal companion is great. Mutagens stack with other ability score buffs.
    Ah, now that makes more sense if the cone wouldn't cause friendly fire and the mutagens stack with other buffs.

I've been trying to make Jaethal work in my party, but finally dumped her for Nok-Nok. I do keep forgetting to use her bane weapons, though.

I may take a crack at that Aasimar Paladin/Eldritch Scion/Dragon Disciple again. This time I'll go big 2 handed, since there's so many great 2 handers, especially some great Bardiches and Glaives late in the game. I've also noticed 2 handed weapons don't seem to interfere with casting for magi, despite the class saying they need to keep their offhand free to cast spells. Sword Saint still needs the offhand free to get their bonuses, though.
    I'm not sure if it's working properly, but magi should be able to cast spells with 2H weapons equipped. However, they should not be able to use their special ability that lets them attack at the same time as casting a spell.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited November 2018
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352

Skatan said:

Fardragon said:

It should perhaps be noted that Charge gives -2 to AC, and the character doesn't move until their initiative point, so you probably won't want to use for your main tank.

I make a lot of use of fighting defensively.

True it gives a -2 to AC, but if you use it as an opener it's great on a tank, it puts them right up there from the beginning of the fight and draws the aggro. Using it for an opener before the fight has actually started lets them do it without actually waiting for an initiative roll.
    I can't get this to work more than half of the time. The other half they just stand around or the nothing happens when I click Charge. Oddly enough it works for Amiri a lot but not for Valerie. At first I assumed it was something weird with the distance since I have Amiri set up further behind, but even from >10 distance, Valerie still ends up standing still a lot or just slowly walk towards the enemy instead of charging. Same with my fighter charname, works poorly with him too.

Amiri does move a lot quicker. I have had some fights where it kind of bugs out and resets as combat begins, but that's not too often for me at least. If there's anything in the way between the character and their target, like a bush, rock or other barrier, you can't charge at all. It does get a bit easier when you get some boots that boost speed on Valerie.

I think you're clicking charge once the fight's started, right? They have to wait until their initiative for the round comes up to do it if the fight's already started. When you mouse over them, you can see the timer till they can take action, so you have to do some guesswork as to whether you should wait for initiative to use it, or just walk over there and attack like normal. I don't use it that often once the fight's started, but it's a great opener.

If you get really good at your timing, you can throw a slow spell, a fireball and still start the charges before combat starts. It's tricky, since you have to be mostly done with casting the spells. With a fireball you want it to be in the air, but not landed, so as not to actually start combat when you click charge, but late enough to not have your frontline run right into the fireball. It takes some practice to pause just at the right moment when casting, but works great.
    I've tried both clicking before combat for the insta-charge but that often doesn't work, so I have to initiate combat first and then try charge again. I am aware that stones etc can block charge. I am also aware about initiative and that chars wait their turn before executing the command, but what I was referring to primarily was when that is not the reason. Rather it's just as when you try to charge from too close, when you can't click and execute, but even if I am from 10+ distance away. 'Tis weird. But, I haven't played since the last two updates so it might have changed in the later patches.
    By "can't click and execute" do you mean you get the red cross on the icon, or that you get the icon indicating charging is fine but nothing happens?

Pretty much anything can block a charge, including party members.
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    Fardragon said:

By "can't click and execute" : you get the icon indicating charging is fine but nothing happens?

This.

One think that i din't liked about P:K; if you assume dragon form, you can cast spells BUT if you assume an elemental form you can't.

One think that i din't liked about P:K; if you assume dragon form, you can cast spells BUT if you assume an elemental form you can't.

I wonder if it's like that in PnP? There's some logic behind it, since dragons are magical creatures that can cast spells. Not sure if it's intentional, though.

So one of the things that I love about this game, is that it completely breaks the mold in the order you're supposed to do things in an RPG. Typical RPG progression, do all side quests before advancing plot and doing available main quests, delivering a false sense of urgency. In this game the urgency is real, and a lot of the time if somebody's telling you that something needs to be done, you better do it. There's real urgency. The game still gives you plenty of time to do the side quests and build up your kingdom, since there's delays between main quests come up.
    edited November 2018
    Guys, i an on ancient curse pt 7, after 100 days upgrating my kingdom, nothing relevant happened. What i need to do to start the final quest?

EDIT : Anyone knows what are the lv 9 spells? I an lv 17 at moment and don't know if i will manage to reach 18 with my sorc.

Guys, i an on ancient curse pt 7, after 100 days upgrating my kingdom, nothing relevant happened. What i need to do to start the final quest?

EDIT : Anyone knows what are the lv 9 spells? I an lv 17 at moment and don't know if i will manage to reach 18 with my sorc.

The portal to get to Nyrissa will be in The Castle of Knives, a zone deep in the forest West of Pitax. The portal is up on the plateau in the middle of the Castle of Knives. There's 2 ways to get it to open. The first is to wait till your advisors tell you it's time to go after Nyrissa. Crazy difficult fey events will start flooding your kingdom, pretty much forcing you to go after her. I forget how much time had to pass for that to start, I had a pretty huge gap between finishing up Pitax and that quest triggering.

The second way can open the portal a lot earlier. There's a fey in the Castle Of Knives that asks you to retrieve the pieces of a crown that winds up holding the soul of an Elf whose kingdom was the first Nyrissa destroyed. If you pick the good option not to give the crown to her and release the soul, the fey will be pleased and open the portal for you.

They don't have full descriptions, but list the spells for 9th level
    http://pathfinderkingmaker.wikia.com/wiki/Magic#Level_9_3
    https://pathfinderkingmaker.gamepedia.com/Wizard/Sorcerer_Spells#Level_9:

I think you'll probably hit level 18 before the end, there's a ton of XP in the last couple of segments.

I wonder if it's like that in PnP? There's some logic behind it, since dragons are magical creatures that can cast spells. Not sure if it's intentional, though.
    Just looked in the manual, neither spell specifies if you can cast spells when shifted, so I suppose the general rule should apply, which is no spellcasting unless you have the Feat that permits it.
    DrHappyAngry
    Whilst I have the manual open, the spells in the "Universal" school are:

Arcane Mark
    Prestidigitation
    Permanency
    Limited Wish
    Wish

I don't think their would be much point in taking Spell Focus in Universal, even in PnP.
    ronaldo
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Looks like the bug where you could become an Dragon Disciple even without having choosing an Draconic Heritage will be fixed in Patch 1.1.

But more importantly the nasty bug where abilities of the Madness Domain multiply after each save load is fixed in 1.0.16. So I can finally proceed with my dwarvish CE Priestess of Gyronna. That one drove me insane.
    Only here after the update, the game is crashing 24/7?
    Works for me. Although I feel like the loading times got longer, especially the first one.
    I really wanna play this game but the crashes don't allow me... No other RPG offers the same in depth character creation and same freedom to have an summoned army... And honestly, character creation is very important for me. I can't enjoy the RPGs who forces you to play with an specific character, this games goes exactly to the opposite. There are a lot of variations even in the same class/same archetype.

What game allow me to do that?

NWN with PRC allow but is bugged and even if Beamdog makes the summoning like PnP, still there aren't dozens of bloodlines with unique abilities to choose.

PS : The unique RPG who forces you to play with a specific protagonist that i liked was Vampyr, and a medic who becomes a vampire is very different than the traditional teenager swordsman with androgent, silly cloths and no muscle.
    Fardragon
    edited November 2018
    Base & Prestige Classes Pack 1.26b for NwN2 is an interesting alternative:
    Palemaster
    -------------

Completely reworked:

Class Levels: 13
    BAB: Medium
    High Saves: Will
    Proficiency: Light and Medium Armor

Abilities:
    - Arcane/Invocation (and eldritch blast if applicable) spell progression at every odd level
    - Undead Affinity: 10% spell failure reduction at 1st level then +10% every 4 level above 1st, plus the class levels add to the amount of undead a palemaster can raise with Animate Dead or The Dead Walk
    - Ghastly Visage: -1 to bluff and diplomacy for every class level, +1 to intimidate and saves against fear and mind-spells every 3 levels
    - Unholy Strength: +2 strength that increase of +2 every four levels above 1st (+4 at 5th, +6 at 9th, etc.)
    - Control Undead: as the spell but with no save (+1/day every four class levels above 2nd.)
    - Tough as a bone: +2 inherent bonus to Constitution, which increases by +2 every 4 levels after 3rd, +1 inherent bonus to Fortitude saves, which increases by +1 every 4 levels after 3rd, Damage Reduction 1/- , which increases by 1 every 4 levels after 3rd and stack with damage reduction of Warlock if the palemaster has any
    - Deathless Vigour: immune to poison and disease. At 6th level immune to Sleep effects. At 8th level, immune to paralysis and stunning.
    - Baleful Flesh: various touch abilities starting from 4th level (one more touch every two levels after 4th). If the touch requires a save, the DC is 10 + his Pale Master class level + his Charisma modifier.
    - Deathless Mastery: Palemaster becomes almost an undead, becoming immune to almost all things immune undeads are immune, apart fortitude savings.
    - Plague of Undead: More potent version of Animate Dead/Dead Walk.
    - Death: Palemaster becomes fully an undead.

-----------------------------------------------
    Spells
    -----------------------------------------------
    - Animate Dead now works as DnD. It animated 1*Caster level of undead and put them under your control for 1 minute. You can cast it as many times you want but you cannot control more than 2*Caster Level HD of undead. Those in excess will be removed from your control.

- Death Knell changed to work more similar to Dnd: if target is near death and fails a will save the caster gets temporary hit points, 2 more strenght and 1+ caster level.

SorcererV1ct0r
    @SorcererV1ct0r I was having some crashing after a new patch like a week ago, or so. I had let my video drivers get out of date, and after installing the latest from nvidia it fixed it for me.
    SorcererV1ct0r
    edited November 2018
    So after screwing up some quests with my sorcerer, I started up a new game. I had already wasted 2 feats, so wasn't that enthused to keep going with them. I went for a Chaotic-Good Halfling knife fighter, named Monty ;). The build's really similar to Nok-Nok, so I won't have to drag him to have great damage output. I'm romancing Valarie, because it's hilarious to romance her with a halfling.

Edit, just got my barony and named it Monty-Carlo.
    ThacoBellbleusteelSkatan
    Big patch today.
    SorcererV1ct0r
    edited November 2018
    Fardragon said:

Big patch today.

Yes, 6G download and i got WINGS

Silver Dragon sorcerer wings(old save - bugged on Pitax)!!!

Normal wings that i got with undead bloodline before a bug who allow you to get got fixed

Infernal bloodline have wings too. Anyone here knows how they look like? I never played an infernal bloodline sorcerer.

Infernal bloodline have wings too. Anyone here knows how they look like? I never played an infernal bloodline sorcerer.

I didn't get that far with my infernal, I think.

So apparently you can romance...

Nyrissa. There's a thread on the owlcat forums about it. My halfling apparently is on the course for it, too, even though I thought I had started with Valerie. The Fey at the Inconsequential Debates pretty much said Nyrissa was my true love. I think you need to to do just the curse researches for the briar and the crown.

I also wound up with an interesting curse. It's effects are +2 bonus to bluff and persuasion checks, but a -1 AC against animals and magical beasts. Not a bad trade off.

I got it from the Lamashtu priests. I had exiled the Priestess at the lodge and when they confronted me during a random encounter, I picked the chaotic-good option of "Go ahead and curse me, it probably won't do anything." I question if Lamashtu understands what a curse is.

I hadn't picked Lander for my envoy before, so I took him.

He betrayed me during the barbarian attack, and tried to kill me to take my lands. After I killed him, I was like "you thought you could kill me with this?" since he just had a couple of +1 daggers, +1 chain shirt and ring of protection +1. Jamandi paid to have him resurrected, so not sure if he'll come back to work. I could get by without him, since I was able to shuffle around some of the other advisors and moved Octavia to Regent.