Skip to content

BGEE\BG2EE\EET\IWDEE Long or Slow Save and Transitioning Areas - Work Around

GusindaGusinda Member Posts: 1,915
edited February 2019 in Troubleshooting
Hi All,

Over the past months, there have been a number of players who have had some difficulty with long save problems (quick and named) and a delay when travelling between areas. I hadn't experienced the problem (where it couldn't be fixed by using DirectX as the engine) until problem solving with @SocratesB1, when I dug up an old Windows 10 Tablet (HP Omni 10) using BGEE 2.5.16.4 Beta. I had hoped the problem would have been fixed with the 2.5.17.0 release but alas it hadn't.

This morning I had a little time to spare (cold, wet and windy outside) so set a little task for myself. I setup a 'special' OpenGL32.dll which would capture the commands sent to OpenGL32.dll and log them. Having the log would then aid in determining what was going on. Long story short, lo & behold everything worked as it should. Game save and area transitioning was smooth. This meant the problem was likely limited to the game interacting with the graphic driver or OpenGL32.dll.

As part of the research, I had read about similar problems, but one in particular where reverting the driver for Intel Integrated GPU to v10.18.10.3379 fixed a slowness problem with a CAD application using OpenGL.

I removed the 'special' .dll and started with the graphic drivers. I had reverted the drivers as far as I could go (all still x.x.x.4xxx) , but couldn't revert back to the Windows 8.1 (v x.x.x.3xxx) drivers due to Windows 10 insistence that it knows better!. No change to the slow saved game or area change. I then decided to work on the OpenGL32.dll instead.

Initially I reverted to the Windows 8.1 version of OpenGL; games saved and area transitioning occurred smoothly. Updated the .dll through each version of Windows 10 until the last version which all still worked. I then tried the current version (10.0.17134), by placing it into the BGEE folder, the problem returned.

My fault finding was limited to Windows 10 (32 Bit) which was on the tablet, so I am looking for someone to try the 64 Bit version as my Windows 10 64 Bit behaves nicely for me. If someone has Windows 10 32 Bit (and the problem), please also give it a try to prove the work around on other systems... I only ask that if you would be so kind to provide some feedback so that this problem can be resolved.

I am tagging @Raduziel, @SocratesB1 & @gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar to give it a go if they can, as I know that the problem exists for them.

The .dlls I have here (and tested this morning) were all downloaded from www.dll-files.com. If you prefer to download them from somewhere else or if you still have the .dll somewhere in your software library, then I tried a number of versions, all of which seemed to have worked (except the current version) so you are not limited to these attached. I have just renamed the zip file to let you know the version.

To install:
- Determine which .dll belongs (64 or 32 Bit) to your system
- Download OpenGL32.dll (32Bit) driver, unpack and copy into the root of the game folder (where Baldur.exe lives)
- run the game in OpenGL mode
- Test saved game, quicksave and named, and transtion between areas. Hopefully it all runs smoothly!
- Most important here... report back to let us know whether it works or not!

To uninstall:
- delete OpenGL32.dll from the root of the game folder.

My range of testing this morning was picking on certain areas (near the start of BGEE). I can't say what will happen later on or with different spells etc. If any problems are identified, please let us know here. I aimed for the latest working driver as it should contain all of the arguments that are in the BG series. I wont be playing the game all the way through with this work around because as I said, my other systems don't display the bad behaviour.

Not tested in IWDEE, but I would suggest that it would work there as well if the problem exists.

Installing this will not change the way that other games use your OpenGl environment as it only impacts on the specific game where the .dll was placed. ie: If you copied OpenGL32.dll (v10.0.15063.0) to your BGEE folder, only BGEE will start using that as the OpenGL driver. Other OpenGL games will continue to use the Windows 10 version of OpenGL (current = v10.0.17134.1).

If this works, then you can continue to use it of course but a major Windows 10 update is due sometime in Sep/Oct. When that happens, I recommend that you rename/delete the OpenGL32.dll in your game folder to see if the conflict has been fixed with the new OpenGL driver. If it doesn't, then you can reinstall the driver that works...

Sorry for the wall of text but I find it good to know the hows and whys, so I guess that some others do as well.

If you are having problems installing, then let me know and I will assist where I can.

[Casts Bless and Aid with my new Cleric abilities] ;)
Gus

Edit: Thanks to @Gate70 and @Raduziel, it is determined that only the 32Bit version is needed. I will leave the 64Bit OpenGL32.dll version here just in case but, ignore it in the first instance.

Edit 2: Added IWDEE to the list thanks to confirmation from @Iceviper.

Edit 3: Added EET to the list thanks to confirmation from @Bojac.
Post edited by Gusinda on
RaduzielJuliusBorisov[Deleted User]SssiksseilorGate70TressetBojacFlashburn

Comments

• RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    Not every hero wears a cape. I'll try this one later as I'm bed ATM.

Good job, @Gusinda . You rock.
    [Deleted User]JuliusBorisov
  • Gate70Gate70 Member, Developer Posts: 3,870
    Windows 10 64 bit.

32 bit dll in game folder makes saves significantly better (64 bit version does not). Platform for the exe in Task Manager shows as 32 bit so that is likely to be the limiting factor.

Will try running it for an extended time to look for unintended consequences. Thanks for your work in respect of this.
    [Deleted User]GusindaJuliusBorisov
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    @Gusinda

I'm running a Win10 64 bits. The 64 bits version doesn't change anything, but the 32 bits version solved the issue completely.

You basically solved alone in one afternoon a reported issue that Beamdog couldn't solve with a team over a year. Now the game runs smoothly AND I can quicksave fast. Tested both solo and with a full party in IWDEE, BGEE, and BG2EE and had the same fantastic and consistent result in all the games.

You, sir, is a magician. If I ever have the chance I'll pay you a beer.

Thanks!
    [Deleted User]GusindaJuliusBorisov
  • GusindaGusinda Member Posts: 1,915
    Thanks @Gate70 and @Raduziel. The 32Bit/64Bit selection would make sense. It's not the OS that makes the difference but the Bit size of the application that uses it. BGEE is 32Bit so makes 32Bit calls. I will mod the OP to reflect. Doesn't explain why my 64Bit Windows only has one OpenGL32.dll. Maybe the other is hiding somewhere; will have to have a look.

Glad to hear that it is working for you!

Gus
    RaduzielJuliusBorisov
  • IceviperIceviper Unconfirmed, Member Posts: 1
    Hello

I can confirm it's working for BGEE, BGIIEE and IWDEE - I had this problem in all three games.

Great job, Gus!
    GusindaJuliusBorisov
    edited October 2018
    @Iceviper, thanks for the feedback. Good to know. Added IWDEE to OP.

Gus
    Post edited by Gusinda on
    JuliusBorisov
  • NiffNiff Member Posts: 1
    I can confirm that this fix does work. And actually saved me from madness. I encountered those insane saving delays a few days ago after installing the EE on a crapy one year old laptop I just bought, and, sadly, up until today nothing seemed to fix this issue (well, using directX did, but made everything else go sloooooow, so, no a great bargain all in all).
    I have no idea what kind of voodoo was used here, nor do I care to be honest : it bloody works.

Thanks where it's due, I had to say this. Gusinda, may you be praised for years to come ! If it weren't for you I'd probably have lost what little sanity I have left. Thanks you so much.
    GusindaJuliusBorisov
    Thanks @Niff. If you are using Windows 10, then this problem may be fixed when the major 1809 patched is rolled out. If it doesn't fix it, then this 'fix' should still be able to be used...

Enjoy the game
    Gus
    JuliusBorisov
  • FraukaFrauka Unconfirmed, Member Posts: 1
    God bless you, Gusinda, those saves made me think that I am not a very good person, and deserve all this. Now I am happy, all because of your time and dedication
    JuliusBorisovGusinda
    Thanks @Frauka and welcome to the forum.
    JuliusBorisov
  • ZZeroZZero Unconfirmed, Member Posts: 1
    edited December 2018
    Hey great job Gusinda, you made my day , the 32bit version works :-) I played 2 days with the big delay by saving and i was very annoyed about it, so really thanks.
    Post edited by ZZero on
    Gusinda
    Thanks @ZZero and welcome to the forum. It is a frustrating experience, that fortunately I had only the once...

Have a great gaming 2019
    Gus
    JuliusBorisov
  • BojacBojac Member Posts: 1
    Yeah, I'll make an account just to comment on this. @Gusinda You saved me, my friend, I was so frustrated with this. The 45 second load screens brought me many a game over for hesitation to subject myself to them when I knew full well I needed to quicksave. The opengl32.dll popped right in like it belonged there all along, and poof, instant save buttons. You win, +1internets. I hope more people find this post, I'm not the only person suffering.

PS: I'm running an EET build, so I can attest it works for me too.
    JuliusBorisovGusinda
    Hi @Bojac, welcome to the forum. Thank you for your feedback. I will make a note of the EET build in the OP.

Enjoy your game.
    Gus
    JuliusBorisov
  • DapiferDapifer Member Posts: 11
    Sorry to necro this one.

I am still experiencing this issue after downloading the OpenGL32.dll in v2.6

I did not have this problem with the 2.5 version I am not sure why this is happening.

I have a 4gb of VRAM with a 1050ti and 32gb of RAM so I am well above the specs required to run this hame smoothly.
  • AmaroqAmaroq Member Posts: 1
    This seems to work perfect! However, messing with the files in the dll-files.com links didn't seem to work. Downloading the 32 bit dll directly attached to OP's post works though!

Additionally, while I was trying to solve this, I followed this thread to get an openal32.dll into the game directory as well. Dunno if it helped, but I'm gonna keep it as it is, since the game works great now, haha.
    Gusinda