Skip to content

Chain Contingency Question

Is it possible to put the following in a Contingency:
1. Time Stop
2. Improved Alacrity
3. Horrid Wilting

And then fire off a Spell Sequencer of Lower Resistance

And then fire off more Horrid Wiltings and maybe a few Delayed Blast Fireballs or some Dragon Breath.

Comments

• sorcerinsorcerin Member Posts: 58
    edited January 2021
    Post edited by sorcerin on
    BlackravenZaramMaldovarsemiticgoddess
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,305
    While wiltings are a good choice for a chain contingency, if you're wearing Vecna then you get a lot more damage during IA from casting skull traps than wiltings or other relatively slow damage spells.
    ZaramMaldovarsemiticgoddessStummvonBordwehr
  • ZaramMaldovarZaramMaldovar Member Posts: 2,309
    @grond0 True but AHW is party friendly
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,305
    Agreed - I normally play solo, so tend to think of tactics that suit that ...
    ZaramMaldovarStummvonBordwehr
    @Grond0
    I've played BG1 Solo once, but I couldn't make BG2 Solo. Plus I NEED the character interaction or my OCD tells me to start over and make a party.
    Grond0Tresset
  • AmmarAmmar Member Posts: 1,295

@Grond0
    I've played BG1 Solo once, but I couldn't make BG2 Solo. Plus I NEED the character interaction or my OCD tells me to start over and make a party.

There used to be a "solo with a party script" back in the past. Not sure if it still exists. Basically it mazes your party member whenever combat begins so that they are not around. And after combat the script gives you the XP that your party member got out of the encounter. So combat-wise it is as if you are solo, but you still get all the interjections.

Not sure if it still exists and works.
    Grond0Gusinda
    @Ammar
    Can't do it. Need to play the game normally.
  • borntodieborntodie Member Posts: 199

@grond0 True but AHW is party friendly

There is a way to make Skull Trap party friendly. With the spell Protection from Magical Energy you can make another party member immune to skull traps. It is a relatively low-level spell and will last very long.

I use this mainly in combination with Spell Sequencer - triple skull trap, as a quick way to blast apart high level casters, including dragons. They often tend to focus on protecting themselves from physical damage, but leave themselves open to magical damage. (I don't use SCS)
    Grond0ZaramMaldovarbleusteelStummvonBordwehr
  • BrightL1ghtsBrightL1ghts Member Posts: 53
    edited November 2018
    Just a small notes to the message above - Minor Globe of Invulnerability and Globe of Invulnerability will protect you from your own skull Traps. Also it will protect you against enemy skull traps if you are using SCS, and unlike Protection from Magic Energy , you will not get disrupted when hit by Skull Trap. MGoI is the best protection against own skull traps because it's lvl 4 spell which has a prety poor competition and you can take it earlier than Protection from magic energy. Although i'm usually still ending up using PfME just because it last for 30 min in real life :D. Too lazy to prebuff all the time )

About Chain Contingency - no you cant, as everyone already told you. But you can use it as offensive option during the combat. I'm not talking about precasting your CC with 3xADHW and go instakill someone, but use it as a in-combat offensive tool after time stop.

Time Stop - Chain contingency with 3xADHW. Since cast time of ADHW is 8 and CC is 9, you are literally getting 3xADHW with 9 cast time instead of casting them separately which would take 24 cast time. Leaves you with a lot more time to cast something else during time stop. In some situations CC is even more efficient than improved alacrity.
    Lammassemiticgoddess
    @BrightL1ghts
    But Doesn't Chain Contingency cast them automatically? So I can trigger the Contigency then cast Time Stop and cast more Horrid Wiltings and other spells if I wish.
  • BorekBorek Member Posts: 513

@BrightL1ghts
    But Doesn't Chain Contingency cast them automatically? So I can trigger the Contigency then cast Time Stop and cast more Horrid Wiltings and other spells if I wish.

It will cast the CC based on the options you pick, usually triggered to fire on Enemy in sight. Problem is you can't really control the firing mechanism for CC particularly well, and it can be annoying if you accidently get it triggered and effectively lose 1x9th and 3x 8th slots.

The advantage of using it as BrightL1ghts suggested is that you get to fire off 3x ADHW's in the same casting time as it takes you to cast just 1x Chain contingency. Obviously if you cast it during a time stop then you are limited to 1 spell per round (3 rds total during the time stop), so any way to squeeze in additional castings via Chain contingency, spell trigger etc is handy, it also saves you casting an Improved Alacrity which is the only other way to cast more than 1 spell per round.

Personally i find Wish (assuming 18+ wisdom) to be better than Timestop, since you can get the Double Length Timestop+improved Alacrity option at times, and even if you don't there's plenty of insanely strong options inluding ADHW cast on everything in the area (make sure you are protected from Magical Energy lol). Drawback is it's very much luck based.

In truth by the time i am throwing around 9th level spells like candy i usually get lazy and stick to Planetars, it's instant cast assuming Robe of Vecna or Amulet of Power, nothing worse than trying to cast a 9th level spell and getting hit and loosing it...
    BrightL1ghts
  • BrightL1ghtsBrightL1ghts Member Posts: 53
    Borek said:

In truth by the time i am throwing around 9th level spells like candy i usually get lazy and stick to Planetars, it's instant cast assuming Robe of Vecna or Amulet of Power, nothing worse than trying to cast a 9th level spell and getting hit and loosing it...

:D so true