Skip to content

Ranged Kensai

What weapons should I use?

Any balanced weapon pack containing good stuff?

Comments

• LammasLammas Member Posts: 211
    edited November 2018
    Well, you really only have a choise of daggers or axes for ranged. I'd say for BG1 you can go with either though there are no magical throwing daggers in the game at all. There are some limited amount of +1 throwing axes in beregost and the axe of returning in chapter 6.

Considering that I'd say axes are better since that at least allows you to take that +2 axe of returning with you into SOD if you are planning on doing that.

In BG2 you've got a couple of early picks for axes of returning with the +2 variant in severs, azuredge if you are good aligned and a +3 variant if you side with Bodhi.

Boomerang dagger requires limited with IIRC and firetooth is in underdark so no early picks for daggers but firetooth is really good and you'll likely be well on your way into second grandmastery by the time you reach that. Also, I guess Pixie prick is one of your best melee weapon choises for SOA if those are your only 2 weapons with points in them. It's disabling effect is quite strong in SOA. EDIT: Also, Dagger of venom for possible melee endeavors in BG1 is bonkers.

In TOB there is one more throwing axe you can pick up but I personally frigging hate the knockback effect it causes. It's really good if you can stand the micromanaging needed so your character doesn't start running after knocked opponents. Really wish it would just cause a temporary knockdown.
    StummvonBordwehrBlackraven
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,305
    If you're a dwarf you can also make good use of the throwing hammer in BG2. You also don't have to do the limited wish quest to get the Boomerang Dagger - you can just kill Captain Dennis if you don't object to that sort of thing.
    AerakarStummvonBordwehrBlackravenDreadKhan
  • leeowensoasleeowensoas Member Posts: 81
    edited November 2018
    You can also pickpocket Captain Dennis last I checked, nonviolent and doesn't prevent you from completing the limited wish quest, and can be done straight out of Chateau Irenicus with no combat or anything
    LammasBlackraven
    Oh, cool. Well, that's a nice early pick for daggers in BG2 then.
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,262
    Lammas said:

In TOB there is one more throwing axe you can pick up but I personally frigging hate the knockback effect it causes. It's really good if you can stand the micromanaging needed so your character doesn't start running after knocked opponents. Really wish it would just cause a temporary knockdown.

@Lammas Your wish is my command :)
    BlackravenGrond0
    Gee, wow. Usually if I mod my game at all it's for tweaks way smaller than this but I'm definitely grabbing that. Thanks.