Skip to content

Two Blackguards too much?

I'm still doing my current Trilogy playthrough (Neutral/Good party, just started BGEE2), and enjoying it a lot.

But also planning ahead for my Evil playthrough, I see so many fun dialogue options too try!

Probably going for a Blackguard, with this portrait:

Never took Dorn along beyond his personal quest for the items, but he seems an autoinclude for an Evil party.

Only thing is: If CHARNAME is a Blackguard, isn't having Dorn around too much of the same?
OrlonKronsteenVasculio

Comments

• OrlonKronsteenOrlonKronsteen Member Posts: 905
    No, it's a great thematic combo. You can run them as two front-line maulers, or use one up front and one as an archer. Plenty of items for both throughout the series.
    DordledumThacoBell
  • ArtonaArtona Member Posts: 1,077
    If you are worried about having to much of the same, then I propose to create some different Blackguard from Il-Khan - for example make him proficient in darts, or, as @OrlonKronsteen suggested, in bows. Or give him best armour and shield, boost Dexterity and Constitution instead of Strenght, and let him soak damage, while Dorn does damage.
    dunbarThacoBellGusinda
  • dunbardunbar Member Posts: 1,603
    edited November 2018
    My problem with Dorn is that (imo) his proficiencies are all in the wrong place: He can't soak up damage (like Korgan) so he needs a shield but his pips are in two-handed. As suggested above I give him a missile weapon proficiency asap (usually xbow).
    DordledumOrlonKronsteen
  • DanacmDanacm Member Posts: 951
    Its a nice combo. I used to bring them through bgee and bg2, but not tob. The were the chaos duo, spread death and evil everywhere. Dorn with two handers, my blackguard with flails, bastard swords and axes. There were no mercy :D my party contains sharteel(dualed thief), baeloth and viconia in bgee, and hexxat, edwin and viconia in soa.
    OrlonKronsteen
  • OrlonKronsteenOrlonKronsteen Member Posts: 905
    dunbar said:

My problem with Dorn is that (imo) his proficiencies are all in the wrong place: He can't soak up damage (like Korgan) so he needs a shield but his pips are in two-handed. As suggested above I give him a missile weapon proficiency asap (usually xbow).

Though sometimes the best defense is a good offense. I find Dorn can take a lot of enemies out before they can do to much damage. If you throw some good armor on him and use aura of despair in tougher fights he can do pretty well as a tank. That said, I often use him as an archer with longbows. And you could always give him the gauntlets of dexterity and put his last two pips into a one-handed weapon if you do want to give him a shield.
    ThacoBell
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    dunbar said:

The devs clearly intended Dorn to be a second line damage dealer and not a tank. It even fits his personality, tending to take aggressive solutions first and not thinking about the consequences. I'd say his proficiencies are PERFECT for his character.
    LammasOrlonKronsteenArtona
  • PingwinPingwin Member Posts: 262
    Dorn likes chopping up unarmed civilians, he doesn't need to be be able to take damage to do that.
    DordledumDreadKhanThacoBell
  • DordledumDordledum Member Posts: 243
    Only too bad that Dwarves can't be Blackguards
    I guess it makes a weird kind of sense that evil is racist.
    Dordledum
  • LammasLammas Member Posts: 211
    edited December 2018
    Well, non-humans can't be Paladins either. I always found it pretty funny that the good, law abiding knights in shining armor are concerned about racial purity of their ranks.
  • DanacmDanacm Member Posts: 951
    The sw empire and the nazis were evil and rascist. But bards and druids also almost just humans( with some half-breeds).
    @Lammas That's what happens when "game balance" (hahaha) is the driving force between who can have what job, rather than internal sense.
    Artona