Skip to content

Back after many years...one handed

Hi everyone, recently I had a car accident and my left arm got injured. It's just temporary but meanwhile I recover I'm just really bored, and I cant play many games because I can only use my right hand, so I thought about re-playing this game after many years.

Do you think it will be ok just playing with the mouse? I remembered you used it for most things but I'm not sure...

Also I have bought it from GOG with the latest patch (wow they still patch the game, nice), and I would love to try mods and tweaks since I used to play only vanilla...but I dont know where I should start or how to install, since the most famous website is down :(

Thanks for your time

Comments

• TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,262
    Sometimes you have to be pretty quick on the spacebar. Auto pause can help but you still need to hit it sometimes. One thing that would definitely help is that the game can be completely controlled with just the mouse, even if it may be more efficient to use the keyboard too sometimes.
    ThacoBell[Deleted User]woogirl
  • DaevelonDaevelon Member Posts: 605
    If your mouse has more than the standard buttons you could map a couple of them for "pause" and "quicksave" (example); i don't think it's needed more than this. Wish you fast recovery.
    ThacoBell[Deleted User]woogirlBelgarathMTH
  • ChroniclerChronicler Member Posts: 1,391
    Yeah, I play with just the mouse all the time. Just because I'm lazily lounging about, don't have both hands on the keyboard.

The big thing you'll notice is that pausing isn't as quick this way. Instead of instantly pausing in response to some development you'll have to drag your mouse across the screen to click the pause button.

Like Daevelon's saying, if the hand's gonna be an issue in the long term it could be worth investing in one of those special gaming mice to address that.
    woogirl
  • ChroniclerChronicler Member Posts: 1,391
    To put a fine point on things, I do bring my hand to the keyboard when I need to name a save file, but you don't need to do that very often and it's not time sensitive. You should still be able to do that with one hand if you absolutely have to.
    woogirl
  • BorekBorek Member Posts: 513
    You should be fine with just the mouse, just set up the auto-pause and that should be all you need. If push comes to shove you could remap the Pause to an extra mouse button, should you have 1/need it.
    woogirlThacoBell
  • woogirlwoogirl Member Posts: 14
    Thanks everyone for the kind answers :)

The "auto-pause" is in indeed a great idea.

And actually, I'm lucky I recently got a gaming mouse so I'm going to try to add "pause", "quicksave" and maybe "inventory" to make things easier, such a clever idea too.
    StummvonBordwehrBelgarathMTHThacoBellBorek