Skip to content

My HoF party is doing great!

I’m playing HoF mode from the start

Human fighter 3 > druid (scimitar/sling)
Human fighter 3 > cleric (flail/sling)
Human swashbuckler 5 > fighter (longbow/dual long swords)
Half orc berserker (axes/bastard swords eventually dual wield)
Elf sorcerer
Half elf skald

The only things I might change if I could do it over would be getting that cleric to fighter 7 before dual classing, and giving that berserker hammer proficiency instead of bastard swords.

It’s a lot of fun, it’s very challenging at times.

Comments

• AerichAerich Member Posts: 159
    Good, good. I'm glad you're still playing the game and enjoying it.

I know the rationale for low level dualclasses, but I tend to prefer higher dcs for HoF -> better Thaco, more weapons points, better HP, traded for later spell access, and it looks like you agree with me. I certainly would have dualed one divine caster later, probably the cleric, and made the other a mc. I definitely agree with giving every melee character a blunt weapon early, because the Vale is so inefficient otherwise.
  • KloroxKlorox Member Posts: 894
    Aerich said:

I know the rationale for low level dualclasses, but I tend to prefer higher dcs for HoF -> better Thaco, more weapons points, better HP, traded for later spell access, and it looks like you agree with me. I certainly would have dualed one divine caster later, probably the cleric, and made the other a mc. I definitely agree with giving every melee character a blunt weapon early, because the Vale is so inefficient otherwise.

The rationale for low level dualclasses is to get access to your spells faster (on the fighter > cleric/druid characters). Summons are amazing and you want them fast.

The rationale on the low level swashbuckler > fighter dual class is gaining the only thief skills you *need* and then having an amazing archer.

THAC0 doesn’t matter too much in this game. As dual classed fighters, they’re all getting grandmastery in their weapons. I’ve yet to have a problem hitting things.

All that being said, I actually exported these characters at 0 XP, and I’m giving it a go from the beginning, with intent of letting the cleric dual class at level 7. You still need one divine caster for healing early, and that’s my druid. I look forward to the extra HP and 1/2 extra attacks with my cleric, especially after he equips that fast flail!

I also replaced my half orc berserker with a half orc berserker proficient in axes and hammers. He’ll be much more effective against skeletal undead this go-round.

I’ve just dual classed the cleric in my game, and I’m wrapping up the Kuldahar Pass.

This game is great!!
  • AerichAerich Member Posts: 159
    Klorox said:

Aerich said:

The rationale for low level dualclasses is to get access to your spells faster (on the fighter > cleric/druid characters). Summons are amazing and you want them fast.

The rationale on the low level swashbuckler > fighter dual class is gaining the only thief skills you *need* and then having an amazing archer.

THAC0 doesn’t matter too much in this game. As dual classed fighters, they’re all getting grandmastery in their weapons. I’ve yet to have a problem hitting things.

All that being said, I actually exported these characters at 0 XP, and I’m giving it a go from the beginning, with intent of letting the cleric dual class at level 7. You still need one divine caster for healing early, and that’s my druid. I look forward to the extra HP and 1/2 extra attacks with my cleric, especially after he equips that fast flail!

I also replaced my half orc berserker with a half orc berserker proficient in axes and hammers. He’ll be much more effective against skeletal undead this go-round.

I’ve just dual classed the cleric in my game, and I’m wrapping up the Kuldahar Pass.

This game is great!!
    I agree that at least one character with early access to summons is a near-necessity to avoid a lot of running and shooting, I just prefer to limit the concessions I make for easier gameplay early on vs. later-game power. One dc at lvl 7 or 9 barely causes a blip on HoF mode, so I don't see the need for two low-level fighter-to-caster dcs.

I completely agree with the swashbuckler>fighter dc, and I didn't actually mean to critique that character.