Skip to content

"Maybe this time" [NO-RELOAD THREAD]: "The Tale of TEN THOUSAND Trials"

Comments

• EnuhalEnuhal Member Posts: 920
    Thanks @Borco - I don't usually fear SoD, having no-reloaded through it a couple of times already, including solo. The problem for this run are the settings - with my randomized characters having very little in terms of hitpoints and enemies dealing double damage thanks to insane difficulty, specific types of enemies such as thieves (who are quite smart in SoD) can instantly kill or even chunk any character with one backstab hit, including my Bhaalspawn - and that can be very scary. The only character that I can count on to survive for any amount of time once an enemy gets close to them is Ceres, provided her defensive buffs are active. Most of these problems can be solved by just firebombing most groups of enemies, but in cases where this strategy doesn't work that well or if I make a mistake, things could get quite dangerous.
    Grond0StummvonBordwehrCorey_Russell
  • BorcoBorco Member Posts: 325
    edited December 2018
    @Enuhal Noted. I've never played on insane difficulty, but even with core rules, thieves can be really really scary for certain characters. Especially if they have a habit of quaffing multiple potions.
    Enuhal
  • billy_pilgrimbilly_pilgrim Member Posts: 132
    I've been lurking in this thread, I used to post in the LoB SCS challenge thread. Several tactics for the ducal palace fight are discussed there @Blind_Visionary one that I find works for almost every kind of solo character is charming two of the nobels before you initiate the fight with algernon's cloak or the nymphs cloak (assuming you have this) . The charm lasts for 12 hours so you can rest in the inn and charm the other one, park the charmed nobels in the side rooms without vision and initiate the fight. This will make the fight much easier, and after you kill off thedoppelgangers just wait until the charm wears off and kill the remaining doppel mage's one at a time.
    StummvonBordwehrBlind_VisionaryCrevsDaak
  • Mantis37Mantis37 Member Posts: 1,173
    edited December 2018
    Well, Lyran's been going on with his various quests, clearing the first level of Watcher's Keep, assassinating a number of undesirables, and even going on a pub crawl for Drini. However... incautiously Lyran enraged a Cowled Wizard during a quest from Check the Bodies. As a result the Government district is now something of a no-go area, mostly populated by Cowls who occasionally get poked by the guards or their own summons. They have some sort of irritating script that causes them to fling lots of low level spells with alacrity as well... After killing about 20 of them (poor Xan got caught in the crossfire) I have decided that this is as good a reason as any to get on a boat out of Athkatla now the city is hot, and will now take on Bodhi herself next time out. Hopefully this should cure some of my native incaution...
    StummvonBordwehrEnuhalGrond0CrevsDaak
    edited December 2018

One or two screenies of the Cowled infestation and what happens if they notice a party member!

Will come back later and annihilate them... much later.
    Post edited by Mantis37 on
    StummvonBordwehrAerakarBlind_VisionaryFlashburn
    Quick note on Saoirse's game: We're currently on hold in Windspear Hills as a result of unsatisfactory performance on my end. I've made couple of mistakes, costing us vaulable resources, and ended up rest-spamming a bit in the end (which I didn't like at all). I don't want to get Saoirse killed because of my absent-mindedness and therefore I decided to suspend the run for the time being.

I'll note that I started a new solo character and - spoiler alert - we've just defeated Sarevork this morning. I hope to do the catching up before we proceed with SoA.

Regards,

B.
    Mantis37StummvonBordwehrCrevsDaak
  • Corey_RussellCorey_Russell Member Posts: 996
    Borco said...
    ...we've just defeated Sarevork this morning. ...

That's a good nickname for Sarevok, "Sarevork" - rhymes with "dork". If that was his actual name, I think my PC would be far less afraid of him...
    CrevsDaak
    @Corey_Russell We should make the next jester character in the challenge compose a song on that. I'd set the tune along the lines of link:

Who's conspiring? Sarevork?
    I know that guy - he likes pork
    Let mockery be our gift
    Jiggly-jiggly-jiggly-swift

Anyway, sorry for the cheap rhymes and thanks for spotting the typo.

Regards,

B.
    Corey_RussellCrevsDaak
    Stealing the rhythm from Bilbo mocking spiders...

Big black helm hunting me,
    Biggy can't see wood for tree,
    Sarevork, Sarevork,
    Won't you quit dork,
    Dorking around and look for me?

Old Sarevorp no brain big body,
    Old Sarevorp can't find me,
    Sarevorp, Sarevorp,
    Down down, you drop,
    You can't catch Boots of Spee-...

Or You can't catch what you can't see for the backstabbers ;). I like to imagine an overconfident protagonist getting caught at the end there though!
    Grond0BorcoCorey_RussellCrevsDaak
  • RelSundanRelSundan Member Posts: 918
    It's great to see this thread is still active. I got a lot of reading to catch up on.
    Grond0StummvonBordwehrCorey_RussellCrevsDaak
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,305
    King's Bounty undead runs
    Previous updates:

Since the last report I did some months ago I've had a few more attempts at this challenge (as a reminder the aim is not only to do a no-reload - a potential problem as I've never completed the game under any rules - but to use only undead creatures in my army and never lose any creatures in combat):
    - a 283rd attempt failed again in the Secret Underground where I lost patience when the chasing beholder stack refused to lose lock in a position where I could safely loot the shrubs.
    - 284th saw some early carelessness when I got caught dodging a stack before having acquired any army.
    - 285th had been a very clean run. Eventually though I had in mind some wolves were going to attack the ancient vampires and absent-mindedly moved the cursed ghosts into range as well - the latter were attacked instead, gained extra ghosts from their retaliation to go out of control and then one-shotted the ancient vampires.

This 286th attempt is being done in between making progress with my dwarven defender to help me avoid the temptation to spend more than an hour a day on that. I've made a few little mistakes, but been lucky that none of those have proved fatal so far. The gods were smiling in the Secret Underground where I only got chased 4 times round the cave before the beholder lost lock. In the fight for the Pendant of Iron Will I was concerned when at first glance there were only evil gremlins (making it virtually impossible to win the fight without losing any creatures), but there was fortunately one good gremlin on the board (to produce summons that my ghosts could use to regenerate their losses).

I used the hypnosis scroll from the Pendant to take temporary control of enemies in the remaining battles in Arlania and then sacrificed those enemies to get additional vampires and ancient vampires - gradually pushing them up to their maximum controllable numbers (based on my amount of leadership) - that was the point I reached before making a fatal mistake in my last posted run.

With rage still high from the last of the battles to increase vampire numbers, I attacked Tiberius - he's one of the hero-led stacks that are dotted about to make things more difficult. Much of his army is undead and can't be life-drained to regenerate vampires, but by leaving the living stacks until Tiberius is out of magic and missile users there's plenty of life left to restore my army.
    That fight also got me up to level 11.
    StummvonBordwehrWise_GrimwaldCrevsDaak