Skip to content

[MOD] Improved Heart of Fury Mode Version 4.2.0

Comments

• BubbBubb Member Posts: 998
    This mod looks absolutely amazing!

I'm probably never going to use it, because I'm a noob who can't play on anything above Core, but I love the idea of turning "trash mobs" into something actually formidable to the party. Bravo; I am looking forward to following the TotLM updates :)
    OlvynChuruStummvonBordwehr
  • OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075
    edited November 2018
    Bubb said:

This mod looks absolutely amazing!

I'm probably never going to use it, because I'm a noob who can't play on anything above Core...

@Bubb Okay, then play the mod on Easy or Normal!
    Voytaz said:

And what about the experience points? I saw that your single classes characters were almost max level after beating base game, if I'm going 6 singles, I'm gonna run through HoW and TotL with almost no level ups. Rising max level can break some spells based on caster level, so that's a pass for me I think, and playing on core difficulty to slow down exp a little bit would be probably harder than insane. Is there a way to somehow fix it? It's not a big problem, you still get new and powerful items, but when your characters stop progressing, it's much less fun to play.

@Voytaz Why not use a few multiclassed characters, then? In my playtesting playthrough, my mage/thief and cleric/mage didn't reach mage level 18 until after Belhifet.

There are also a few other ways your characters can progress. As you go through the late game, you continue to obtain items that permanently increase your characters' stats. You also keep getting cool magic items (or the ability to buy them), and there are far more items in this mod that are actually useful than there are in the unmodded game.
    Post edited by OlvynChuru on
    BubbGusindaVoytaz
    edited November 2018

Version 2.0 is out!

Heart of Winter is all modified, though Trials of the Luremaster is still incomplete. You can download the mod here!
    GusindaBubb
  • olegbenlolegolegbenloleg Member Posts: 14
    Great. Can I Continue with a current game or do I have to start a new one?.
    OlvynChuru
    @olegbenlog You can continue with your current game.

Items, spells and scripts that were changed in this version will be retroactively modified in your save game. However, the creatures in areas that you've already been to will be unchanged. Any store you've already accessed will be unchanged, even if I added new items to it.

But it's not a huge deal. I don't think it's worth restarting just for this.
    By the way, one change I made in Version 2.0 is that I powered up druid shapeshift forms. Since the characters and creatures in the game are more powerful, the shapeshift forms need to be more powerful otherwise they could be less useful than the normal character.

Screenshots:

GusindaBubb
  • VoytazVoytaz Member Posts: 26
    So I finally started this mod after the 2.0 version, and wow. Besides the very first orc cave, I didn't have any problems so far until Presio duel. My sorcerer was 11 lvl then I think and I just could't do anything, I thought that maybe my chosing of spells was just bad and I had no chance against her. Then I tried to kill her with my assassin, but she detects invisibility so another failure. Open attack was almost impossible so I get back to duel. I noticed that I can spam Greater Malison at her, without her attacking, so I lowered her resistances and before she could cast her protective spells, I casted Shroud of Flame to interrupt her spells. Then I dispelled her and just spammed magic missiles to cancel all her spells. I tried over a dozen times, but finally beat her. Great feeling.

Now I'm struggling with the endless waves of monsters on the next floor, but thanks to the shit-load of invisibility potions I bought for my assassin I can see a way to kill the Summoner.
    OlvynChuru
  • saber0saber0 Member Posts: 84
    so I got this error do not know what it means
    Cannot find 66 rows with at least 2 columns.ERROR: [splstate.ids] -> [override] Patching Failed (COPY) (Failure("Cannot Read 2DA Entry"))
    saber0 said:

so I got this error do not know what it means
    Cannot find 66 rows with at least 2 columns.ERROR: [splstate.ids] -> [override] Patching Failed (COPY) (Failure("Cannot Read 2DA Entry"))

Ah! I'll try and see if I can fix this problem before Monday.
    saber0
    Thank you!
    OlvynChuru
    @saber0 I think I've found and solved the problem.

You could fix the problem yourself by opening BetterHOF.tp2 with Notepad or some other text editor and using Replace to replace all instances of

READ_2DA_ENTRY 66 0 2 previous

with

READ_2DA_ENTRY 5 0 2 previous

That should solve the problem. If it doesn't, let me know.

Otherwise, you could wait until I release the next patch.
    saber0
    thank you @OlvynChuru that took care of the initial error however this came up

MAGE01.BCS.BCS] ERROR at line 206 column 1-2
    Near Text: AC
    Parsing.Parse_error
    ERROR: parsing [MAGE01.BCS.BCS]: Parsing.Parse_error
    ERROR: [MAGE01.BCS] -> [override/MAGE01.BCS] Patching Failed (COPY) (Parsing.Parse_error)
    so I replaced my mage.bcs and got that to work...
    but now
    ERROR locating resource for 'COPY'
    Resource [plyspid2.itm] not found in KEY file:
    [./chitin.key]

@saber0 What version of the game are you using? Perhaps there are problems because you're using an outdated version.
    edited December 2018
    sorry I don't know @OlvynChuru
    the mod is version 2.0 the i don't know bout the ee version
    @saber0 I mean the EE version, not the mod version. Would it be possible for you to install the latest update? It sounds like you're using an outdated version of Icewind Dale: Enhanced Edition.
    Thank you will try that
    still got the
    ERROR locating resource for 'COPY'
    Resource [plyspid2.itm] not found in KEY file:
    [./chitin.key]
    @saber0 I'm pretty sure that you're still using an outdated version of Icewind Dale: Enhanced Edition.

In my version of the game, plyspid2.itm is an item in the game's files by default, without being added by a mod. However, I suspect that it was only added to the game in one of the newer patches, since the filename is in lowercase when I look at it in NearInfinity, and most of the files with lowercase filenames are files that were added by Beamdog in recent patches. It's possible that you're using a version of the game where plyspid2.itm was not yet added.
    saber0
    I tried updating yesterday to newest version
    is there a way to manually add plyspid2.itm or just take it out of HOF and install the rest?
    @saber0 Here's the original version of the file. Unzip it, put it in your override folder, and it should work fine. In the next patch of my mod I'll include plyspid2.itm in the override by default so this won't happen. If you have any more problems installing, tell me.

saber0
    thanks!
    edited December 2018
    Trials of the Luremaster screenshots so far:

(Yes, the Greater Fire Beetles are breathing fireballs.)

(The Black Archers, like the ones in Icewind Dale 2, fire level-draining arrows. You also encounter some of them in Chapter 4, but usually not this many.)

(Time for some REAL mithral golems.)

(I powered up the traps on these chests.)

(Since these spiders are astral, they might as well have some psionic abilities.)

I also changed the riddle in one of the challenges.
    brunardoBubb
    edited December 2018
    Hi everyone!

If you are playing this mod, I would be delighted to know how far you've gotten in the game so far. Please keep me updated on this thread! Which of you has reached the furthest? Let's find out! :)
    So I had a break recently, but soon I'm gonna start playing again. Currently I'm at Severed Hand, clearing the towers and the ghosts that are appearing after you enter a room are a big pain in the ass, can't get past them.

My team look like this (from up to down):
    Alyss, Elven Sylvan Disciple
    Burin, Dwarven Defender
    Tharos, Half-elven Watcher of the Helm
    Shallan, Human Broken One Monk
    Evanlyn, Half-elven Archer
    Celaena, Elven Assassin

I recommend an assassin for everyone, he can take the most dangerous mages in one hit (at least to the point I'm in).
    OlvynChuru
    edited December 2018
    @Voytaz Yeah, the shadowed elves are tough. The key to beating them is that they have pretty poor saving throws (worse than in the vanilla game), so area of effect disabling spells like Web work very well against them, though you don't seem to have a mage in your party. Whirlwind and Sunray are also particularly good against them, since they bypass the Minor Globes of Invulnerability that the mage puts on all the elves.

In any case, thank you for sharing!
    I finally finished modding the Watchknight's Crypt, an extremely large area.

Screenshots:

(Throughout the area there are inactive ghosts. The purpose of the Crypt Things is now to activate these ghosts, rather than to teleport party members somewhere else in the level.)

(Call the Ghosts activates all ghosts within 45 feet of the Crypt Thing for 5 rounds, even if there is a wall between the Crypt Thing and the ghosts. And of course the ghosts themselves can move through walls. So the Crypt Things can sometimes attract ghosts from other, nearby parts of the area.)

Each of the sarcophagi containing one of the keys is guarded by a Greater Mummy Lord. The reason there are so many insects about is because the Greater Mummy Lord cast Death Swarm, a far more powerful version of Insect Plague (1 damage per second for 60 seconds).

The Watchknight's Crypt ended up being quite challenging (generally in good ways) and less tedious than in the original game. I'm very satisfied with my modifications to this level.

Now I'm working on Castle Maluradek.

(Since the Spectral Guards weren't strong enough, I decided to turn them all into kensai/mages. However, I'm not done modding them. In the final version they might not be as brutal as they seem here.
    VoytazBubbGusindaStummvonBordwehr
    I fear the things you can do to Rakshasas, I remember I had to lower the difficulty after an hour of trying to beat them in my last playthrough. Last fight of TotL was much easier than this, and even easier than fight with spectral guards.
    OlvynChuru
    @Voytaz I intend for the Luremaster fight to be the hardest fight in Trials of the Luremaster in this mod. I already have ideas for it. The Spectral Guards and Rakshasas should end up easier.
  • BubbBubb Member Posts: 998
    Well, I couldn't resist. I finally gave in and installed this mod :)

I'm playing on Insane with extra xp and extra damage enabled. I've also toggled the lua option that lets Cleric / Rangers get druid spells. Here's my party:

Pay no heed to the names.... I just wanted to start playing after rolling for quite some time.

And OH BOY, I knew I was going to be curb-stomped, but not this hard! I've only just arrived at Kuldahar, and I must say it was quite the challenge just to get there. (And you say the beginning is easy... oh no).

Here's some thoughts so far:

That first goblin encounter outside of Easthaven surprised the hell out of me. Just gonna snipe some puny goblins, when one spawns right next to me, greater whirlwinds, and kills half my party in less than a second. At this point I realize what I've signed up for...

I was fine up until the first open room in the orc caves. This fight was just brutal! I seriously reloaded ~10 times trying different tactics, until I finally ran back to the shop to see if I missed something. I bought the lute that lets you dire charm creatures, and it helped tremendously. Three webs, a stinking cloud, and some charms later and I manage to get through the fight in a couple of reloads.

The fight with the Ogres wasn't nearly as hard, as there was a good choke point where I could cast disabling AoEs to keep everything under control. Still nearly died a couple of times, though. It really makes a difference when two hits kills your strongest party member.

I make it to the pass, and holy goblins. They are not as hard as the orcs were, but you really got to kill the archers fast to keep the goblin summons from racking up. A well placed web and some ranged fire does wonders. Also, I found myself using spells I've NEVER used before in the vanilla game, such as command. It seems the prevalent theme so far is to try to disable as many enemies as possible, before they overwhelm you.

That beetle in the cave was very mean. I tried several times just to wack it until it died, without success. First couple of times I was trying to cast spells / use ranged weapons on it, not realizing my error...
    Finally switched it up and cast two servings of Animate Dead to absorb its damage. It was a piece of cake after that, but it's really cool that this mod forces me to do more than "click", "oh, I won."

Most every fight has been won so far by casting web alongside plenty of disablers. The dire-charming of enemies works very well, as having a buffed up mob, if only for a brief moment, drastically shifts the tide battle. I'm having a lot of fun, it's like a totally new game. Thanks for your time and effort in making this - I'm looking forward to playing further, and to any future updates you release. :)
    OlvynChuruGusindaStummvonBordwehr