Skip to content

The Outer Worlds

https://www.denofgeek.com/us/games/outer-worlds/277907/the-outer-worlds-trailer-release-date

Tim Cain and Co. are back guys!

Though it's a pity you're going to play only as a puny human.

@BelleSorciere @Vallmyr @typo_tilly

Comments

• FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    Sounds good but I'm worried about the influence of MS
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    Looks like Borderlands to me.
  • jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850
    I'm not entirely sure where the Borderlands talk is coming from. I doubt it's gonna be a loot-fest. It clearly seems like Fallout in space.
  • DrHappyAngryDrHappyAngry Member Posts: 1,577
    The link to the trailer in the article isn't working, so here's the trailer
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGLTgt0EEqc&feature=youtu.be

I don't think MS will have had much influence on this game. If it's coming out next year, that means it's been in the pipe for awhile. Mass Effect 2 and 3 were great (except the ending of course), and I think that's because they were already in the works before Bioware got bought, so I don't think MS will have really had any impact on this game. I'm also excited because a space cowboy game was exactly what I wanted Obsidian to make if they can't do another Fallout.
  • VallmyrVallmyr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,459
    I'm vaguely interested. I'll just have to keep an eye on it.
  • kanisathakanisatha Member Posts: 1,308
    Yup it's a Fallout-esque sci-fi (space cowboy) FPS RPG. And Microsoft has absolutely nothing to do with it.
  • ArdanisArdanis Member Posts: 1,736
    Getting some strong Serenity/Firefly vibe from the trailer. I guess it does have some Fallout feel to it.

But this "it's all about how you make choices and decisions" is really starting to sound like a marketing slogan, fake and artificial as it is.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • voidofopinionvoidofopinion Member, Moderator Posts: 1,248

I'm not entirely sure where the Borderlands talk is coming from. I doubt it's gonna be a loot-fest. It clearly seems like Fallout in space.

Sooooo... Borderlands.

:D
  • ShapiroKeatsDarkMageShapiroKeatsDarkMage Member Posts: 2,428

Sooooo... Borderlands.

Fallout was never as campy as Borderlands. Some parts of FO2 nowisthanding.
  • voidofopinionvoidofopinion Member, Moderator Posts: 1,248
    Compromise: Play Borderlands 2 with the Fallout music.

:#

Sooooo... Borderlands.

Borderlands is the FPS equivalent of Diablo. It's an ARPG that just happens to be a shooter.
    When I played Borderlands 2 after having played FO4 the only thing I could think was "this is it. This is what Beth wanted FO4 to be".

Except Borderlands 2 was a hundred times better made, more stylish, and funnier.

So yeah this practically seems like it's going to be Borderlands with more RPG genrea.
    Some new "B-roll" from Gamespot

https://youtu.be/58qKmxO_YfQ
    edited December 2018
    This is SO the follow-up to New Vegas they never got to make. It screams Fallout (the open-world ones) just as much as Pillars of Eternity screamed Baldur's Gate. I'm especially intrigued by the idea of negative traits and their effects. One of the best things about the kits in the Infinity engine are how certain trade-offs work and how each kit disempowers you in some way. We need more of that.

My only hope is that they aren't using the Unity engine. Not being able to run at a stable 60 fps in a isometric RPG isn't a big deal. If a game like this doesn't and suffers technical issues, it's going to really hamper this game's success.

A side-note about the trailer: it occurs to me that Iggy Pop has probably made more money off his songs being licensed in the last ten years for various purposes than he ever could have possibly made in record sales for most of his career.
    edited December 2018
    @jjstraka34 I don't think Unity lends itself to FPS style games. TOW is using Unreal Engine 4, which is very solid.
    edited December 2018

This is SO the follow-up to New Vegas they never got to make. It screams Fallout (the open-world ones) just as much as Pillars of Eternity screamed Baldur's Gate. I'm especially intrigued by the idea of negative traits and their effects. One of the best things about the kits in the Infinity engine are how certain trade-offs work and how each kit disempowers you in some way. We need more of that.

My only hope is that they aren't using the Unity engine. Not being able to run at a stable 60 fps in a isometric RPG isn't a big deal. If a game like this doesn't and suffers technical issues, it's going to really hamper this game's success.

A side-note about the trailer: it occurs to me that Iggy Pop has probably made more money off his songs being licensed in the last ten years for various purposes than he ever could have possibly made in record sales for most of his career.

The NMA folks must be really happy right now.

But will it use a class-less system like Fallout?
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    yep nma are loving it and rpgcodex are being their usual negative selves.
    edited December 2018

The NMA guys are saints compared to RPG Codex sociopathic users.
    Post edited by ShapiroKeatsDarkMage on
    edited December 2018

The NMA guys are saints compared to RPG Codex sociopathic users.
    The majority of the RPG Codex forum posters (and I rarely even bother going over there anymore) seem to believe there have been 3 good RPGs made in the history of the genre. The original Fallout, Age of Decadence, and Underrail: I still cannot wrap my head around the idea that most of the people who spend vast amounts of time posting in a RPG-forum clearly hate 90% of the genre.
    That's because the fundamental basis of the rpg genre is the emulation of table top rpg and most computer games does that very poorly.

And also because an elitist atmosphere creates an elitist virtue signalling competition where people keep pushing each other to new heights of elitism by attempting to prove themselves elitistier-than-thou to their peers. Meaning less and less games will be "passable" as the spiral goes on, while the few that still is are likely put on pedestals and worshipped.
  • DorcusDorcus Member Posts: 270
    I'm way hype. I read this article ages ago https://nichegamer.com/2017/12/14/new-obsidian-rpg-coming-via-original-fallout-creators-tim-cain-and-leonard-boyarsky/ and had been keeping a very close eye on what the dream project was. (here's an article where "dream project" actually gets quoted: https://www.gamespot.com/articles/why-the-outer-worlds-is-a-dream-project-for-fallou/1100-6463779/ ) One thing about the trailer that impressed me is that it had actual Fallout humor, rather than Bethesda's brand of Fallout humor. I know it's just a non-playable hype trailer, but I don't believe modern Bethesda would ever place the protagonist in a false dilemma where they kill somebody based on false assumption. Their heroes are epic. End of subject. Judging by the Steam page, this game seems to focus on the flaws of the character. I'm real excited for it, but I'm tempering my expectations with the usual Obsidian bugfest and endless rebalances.

Also Age of Decadence owns.
    edited December 2018
    Dorcus said:

I'm way hype. I read this article ages ago https://nichegamer.com/2017/12/14/new-obsidian-rpg-coming-via-original-fallout-creators-tim-cain-and-leonard-boyarsky/ and had been keeping a very close eye on what the dream project was. (here's an article where "dream project" actually gets quoted: https://www.gamespot.com/articles/why-the-outer-worlds-is-a-dream-project-for-fallou/1100-6463779/ ) One thing about the trailer that impressed me is that it had actual Fallout humor, rather than Bethesda's brand of Fallout humor. I know it's just a non-playable hype trailer, but I don't believe modern Bethesda would ever place the protagonist in a false dilemma where they kill somebody based on false assumption. Their heroes are epic. End of subject. Judging by the Steam page, this game seems to focus on the flaws of the character. I'm real excited for it, but I'm tempering my expectations with the usual Obsidian bugfest and endless rebalances.

Also Age of Decadence owns.

What's wrong with epic badass heroes?

Also AoD is overrated imo.
    Post edited by ShapiroKeatsDarkMage on
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    rpg codex also talks about non rpg stuff as well. lets just say their opinions on point and click adventure games are kinda not very good.

i'm just shocked they even have a jrpg sub forum they seem to me the type of epople that would ban you for even saying they are rpgs.
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Huh... first it was going to be released on Steam. Then the devs said it will become an Epic Games exclusive like Metro Exodus ended up with. And now Valve says it is still releasing on Steam... but only a year after it went live on Epic Games.

Yaaaay~ . . . . *siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiigh*
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    Well, I guess I won't be playing it at the release day. If Obsidian doesn't want my money immediately, so be it.
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Same stuff happened with another game I was really intersted in: The Sinking City.
    That's already two strikes below the belt for me. One more and I don't know what I am going to do to Epic. But I bet it won't be pretty.
    I didn't buy Metro Exodus on launch due to this. I won't be buying TOW either, unfortunately. I'm supporting Steam for their work on Proton.
  • kanisathakanisatha Member Posts: 1,308
    It is known that the publisher, Private Division, has a general one year exclusivity agreement with Epic. It is not known whether Obsidian was also ok with this or if they had no choice. There is some evidence that Obs was blindsided by this because apparently they were actively working on Steam achievements for the game right up until this announcement hit.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Same stuff happened with another game I was really intersted in: The Sinking City.
    That's already two strikes below the belt for me. One more and I don't know what I am going to do to Epic. But I bet it won't be pretty.

Looks like a lot of people feel about Epic the same way I feel about Steam. I refuse to support any developer that releases exclusively to Steam.