Skip to content

How to remove a specific sfx from the game

CanesCanes Member Posts: 29
This may sound like I'm being a bit OCD, but there's this "gulp" sound when you drink a potion, it's driving me insane and I'm looking to remove it.

Currently on Chapter 3, where you have to fetch some cargo for Bodhi from the dock and trying to fight these overpowered Shadow Thieves that hit me for 60 hp (but that may be because of a fanatic mod BWS installed), and they keep gulping potions that it makes this annoying sound x10 times per second because it overlaps.

Anyway, looking to remove it, or mask it. So if anyone knows the name of said sound effect, I'd be super grateful.
Charn_Aim

Comments

• qwerty123456qwerty123456 Member Posts: 67
    create empty file gulp.wav in the override folder, that should do it
    CanesCharn_Aim
  • CanesCanes Member Posts: 29
    Why didn't I think of that, It's even conveniently named. That worked by the way, so thanks a million -- I hate bad table manners.
  • Charn_AimCharn_Aim Member Posts: 22
    I realize that I am a bit late to the party but I stumbled across this post because I also detest that gulping noise. It grates on my nerves every time I hear it. However, I am not very computer savvy so I was hoping that someone might take pity on me and provide more detailed instructions.

Incidentally, if certain sounds bother you might try looking up misophonia (Greek for "hatred of sound"). Yeah... it has a name. The sounds that I hate are usually chewing, slurping, and gulping noises. Other people might feel the same way about cracking knuckles or tapping fingers, etc. If it causes anxiety and\or rage you might have misophonia. Just some obscure trivia to brighten your day!
  • GusindaGusinda Member Posts: 1,915
    Hi @Charn_Aim, describing how to create the empty file would be based on what operating system you are using, but I will assume that you are using Windows of some sort. Some of the description maybe a bit long winded, just ignore the extra words if it is (I used to write procedural documents and will try to tame it down a bit).

- Open Windows Explorer and go to your documents area
    - Right click on a blank area in the right hand panel and select 'New', then 'Text Document'
    - Name the file 'gulp.wav' making sure that the .txt part is overwritten/deleted. You don't wont the filename to be 'gulp.wav.txt'. If the sound doesn't disappear, this would be the first thing to look at making sure that the filename is correct.

The empty file is created and ready for copying. For the next part, you need to know where your game files are located. If you aren't aware, if you right click on the game icon on your desktop and select 'Properties', you will find the path in the 'Target' descriptor. Back to copying.

- Right click on 'gulp.wav' and select copy
    - Navigate to the games folder and into override folder. If the override folder doesn't exist then you can just create it. (Right click on blank area and select 'New', 'Folder' and name it 'override').
    - Paste the file into the override folder and you are right to go.

I just had a quick look and the 'gulp.wav' should work for BG1EE with or wthout SOD, BG2EE and IWDEE. This procedure will also work for other sounds as well but you need to know what the filename for the sound is.

Happy quiet time
    Gus
    Charn_Aim
    Gus, thank you so much! It worked like a charm. The silence is beautiful. I must commend you on your clear and easy to follow instructions. It was exactly what I needed. The first time I tried it it didn't work so I followed your instructions and removed the .txt from the file. So thank you for that little addendum.

There is a second gulping noise that is made when you prompt a character to drink a potion while in their inventory but I haven't been able to find the other .wav files. As gulping noises go, it is not nearly as egregious as the gulp.wav noise but I certainly wouldn't be sad if I never had to hear it again. Would you or anybody else be able to tell me how to find/get to them? That way, I could override that one too... now that I know how to do it!

I am so happy! I love this forum and I love everybody here.
    Gusinda
  • JoenSoJoenSo Member Posts: 910
    Charn_Aim said:

Incidentally, if certain sounds bother you might try looking up misophonia (Greek for "hatred of sound"). Yeah... it has a name. The sounds that I hate are usually chewing, slurping, and gulping noises. Other people might feel the same way about cracking knuckles or tapping fingers, etc. If it causes anxiety and\or rage you might have misophonia. Just some obscure trivia to brighten your day!

For those interested, the podcast Twenty Thousand Hertz made a very good episode about misophonia. Though it might be a bit much for people who actually suffers from misophonia, as they provide examples of the sounds.

The only sound I can't stand in Baldur's Gate is that from the obnoxiously loud Entangle spell.
    UnderstandMouseMagicCharn_Aim
  • GusindaGusinda Member Posts: 1,915
    edited December 2018
    @Charn_Aim, no problems. Glad you got it to work. I shall have a look and see if I can find the other sound name. To find the sound names, Near Infinity is an excellent tool. Takes a little to get use to it but once you do...

@JoenSo - Near Infinity shows the name of the casting sound for Entangle to be 'CAS_P08.wav'. Haven't tested though.

Gus

Edit: Charn_Aim - The other gulp sound appears to be 'GAM_07.WAV'
    Post edited by Gusinda on
    Charn_Aim
  • UnderstandMouseMagicUnderstandMouseMagic Member Posts: 2,147
    JoenSo said:

Charn_Aim said:

For those interested, the podcast Twenty Thousand Hertz made a very good episode about misophonia. Though it might be a bit much for people who actually suffers from misophonia, as they provide examples of the sounds.

The only sound I can't stand in Baldur's Gate is that from the obnoxiously loud Entangle spell.
    Agreed, but don't forget the teleport area noise as well, that one seems to be used a lot more.
    Charn_Aim
    JoenSo, thanks for the link. It's always better when I don't feel quite so alone.

Gus, that file name was, indeed, the other gulping noise. Thanks to you, my gaming experience has improved tenfold. It is blissfully gulp-free and I cannot thank you enough.
    GusindaJoenSo
  • DaveyLDaveyL Member Posts: 16
    Thank you very very much - I detest the gulp noise