Skip to content

1. What bugs does EE have that classic didn't? 2. Full changelog?

Markus_RamikinMarkus_Ramikin Member Posts: 25
1. At the moment I still play the classic edition, with Qwinn's mods, of course. But I thought I was about to switch over to EE now that Unfinished Business got updated - I thought at this point EE is getting close to equal or superior to the classic version along all dimensions that matter.

However, I read that there's a bug in EE where the game's areas, containers etc will reset if you reset the Modron Maze. Is this still true? That's a pretty damning bug in what's supposed to be the ultimate edition of the game. Apparently something called generalised biffing lets you work around this, but that mod is on a site that doesn't work currently, so...

I'm glad I found this out before I started playing EE and wasted too many hours. But I'm going to pay close attention to future changelogs to see if it's fixed.

So this is where I'd like to ask the help of those of you who have played EE but are also well familiar with the classic version. Could you please tell me what other issues I should be aware of? I don't mean trivial stuff, I mean stuff that someone like me, who is perfectly comfortable with the classic version, and would only switch if nothing important was messed up, would want to know about.

(Before you ask, I did try browsing the forum, but even the Modron Maze thing, which is huge in my eyes, didn't even seem to have its own thread, so I wonder what else I'm missing.)

2. Is there anywhere I can read the full changelog for EE versions? I don't mean compared to classic, I mean patch history, i.e. what bugs were fixed in EE since EE was first released. I own the game on GoG and atm I can only seem to find the last patch version's changelog.

Thanks!
Post edited by Markus_Ramikin on
Isewein

Comments

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    I don't believe there's a changelog for the starting version of PST:EE if compared to PST. But there are patch notes for the 3.1.3 version.

I recommend checking out https://www.beamdog.com/planescape_faq

About the Modron Maze area issue - see https://support.baldursgate.com/issues/38061 - this bug has never been confirmed or repro-ed. However, the container issue is indeed there - https://support.baldursgate.com/issues/30688
  • Markus_RamikinMarkus_Ramikin Member Posts: 25
    edited December 2018
    Edit: yeah, never mind about the changelogs, I thought there were more patches than there were.

The Modron Maze bug - well, it took me no time at all to reproduce it, on the theory that Argent77 wrote that it's the presence of resources in Override that triggers this. It was surprisingly easy, once I bothered. Here's what I did.

1. Installed the game afresh, no mods. Created the Override folder.

2. Enabled debug mode by adding the SetPrivateProfileString('Program Options','Debug Mode','1') line to baldur.lua .

3. Extracted AR0207.ARE with NearInfinity and put it in Override. (This happens to be the candlestick quest crypt, but another area would do just as well.). The file remains UNMODIFIED, it's just going to be read from override instead of data.

4. Started a new game, gave myself the cheat axe, debug-travelled to AR0207, killed guards, looted the container

5. travelled to AR13EN, which is the Engineering Room, talked to the modron and reset the Modron Maze to another difficulty

6. Travelled to AR0207 again. The area was reset - both containers (tomb and corpse) AND the guards.

So Argent77's theory is obviously right. You'll never reproduce it in a completely clean game, but ANY mod that changes an area is going to be vulnerable. So even though a clean game won't have problems, this is still not the fault of any particular mods, but an error in the base game.
    Post edited by Markus_Ramikin on
    Isewein
  • DoubledimasDoubledimas Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,286
    @Markus_Ramikin I still have a list of all the bugs fixed during the private beta period up to the 3.0.3 release if I'm not mistaken. If @JuliusBorisov is ok with me posting it I can drop it here.
    Markus_Ramikin
    edited December 2018
    Oh, wait, 3.0.3 was the first public release? In that case, I withdraw my request - I came late to the party and I simply assumed the game had been released as a 1.0. So I thought there had been a whole series of public patches for which I mysteriously couldn't find changelogs. My apologies for the misunderstanding.
    JuliusBorisov
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    @Doubledimas Better leave the beta content to the closed beta forum.

@Markus_Ramikin Yes, 3.0.3 was the release build. The game didn't start as a 1.0.
    Thanks for clarifying that.

I registered and added my reproduction method to that issue. Felt weird doing that, since it already seems well known on these forums how this bug works, and I'm gonna be very surprised if my 3 minutes of testing is what it takes to get things moving. But hey, I'd rather err on the side of doing something rather than not doing.
    JuliusBorisov
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    i have not really run into any bugs. i never bothered to check and see if that one soft lock from the gog version [ it's exclusive to the 2 disk version which is what the gog version was] was fixed in the ee.
    Markus_RamikinJuliusBorisov
    edited December 2018
    Oh hell, the Tenement of Thugs fixes were not included?

Tenement of Thugs fixes: This entire area is designed to be a Thieves' Playground, but instead it was a boring interruption to the game. There were 3 reasons for this. The 1st reason is that there's a secret door near the area exit that lets you run right through the place with zero challenge that was only supposed to be available to Xaositects. That is now fixed by scient in the engine (and Xaositects can still use it if they talk to the right person). The 2nd reason is that all the thugs were set to be initially hostile, which made them unable to be pickpocketed. There was tons of scripting to make them aggro when they saw you, but none of it mattered because they were hostile to begin with. Making them neutral to start with reactivated all their excellent aggro scripting, and made them able to be pickpocketed, which was supposed to be the only way for non-Xaositects to get through the Tenement without combat. The 3rd reason was that the thugs couldn't run (see AI fix above) to block your path to the escape should you attempt to do so without stealth, and they are now capable of doing so. When you see how it all works out and see how carefully the creatures are placed to make it fun for thieves in there, you'll see what I mean. Oh, and as a bonus, the hostility fix means it's now possible to save your game in the area without having to kill almost everyone in it. (Qwinn)

Everything starts already set to hostile, so you can't pickpocket shit, or talk to the chaosman behind the corner. Disappointing.

The "get full Hit Dice in secondary classes when going up multiple levels at once" bug was not fixed either.

I'm not even out of the Hive yet... I fear there's more. At least none of this seems as gamebreaking as the Modron Maze thing, but still.
    edited December 2018
    Haha, oh my Aoskar. EE left Larval Worms at a level killable by Cloudkill.

I blush remembering that I argued with Qwinn about that fix (he was right, of course). If I had a more self centered view of the universe, I'd see this as karma.
    Isewein
  • AronAron Member Posts: 94
    Hello! Ive read through the changes and i like them all. Especially that you can add the easter egg bonuses with 2 files to download.

Already looking forward to test this when i get home :)
    JuliusBorisov
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.