Skip to content

Non canon npc motivations?

Hi,
I thinking about whats the motivation of an npc, to go throuth thousands of battles against Sarevok and others. For egz Xan why go with you for a very long time ? Or Alora ? Maybe the evil ones are easier, Dorn need to be strong and you give him that feeling, or you save Viconia and she not have any other known person.
What do you think ?
OrlonKronsteenThacoBell

Comments

• DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    Xan needs to report that stuff to the greycloaks of Everaska, so the more he stays with you, the better.

Alora is with you for the thrill, to satisfy her cleptomania/curiosity and for the fun of having new friends.

Safana and Kagain are there for the money.

Quayle and Tiax...well, go ask a gnome.

Coran is there for the fun , his fun and nothing else.

Eldoth is there for protection while his scheme comes to fruition.
    ThacoBellOrlonKronsteenDanacm
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Branwen owes you a life debt, also, she is hecka down for a good row.
    OrlonKronsteen
  • DanacmDanacm Member Posts: 950
    Hmm the gold is enough to risk your life ?
  • OrlonKronsteenOrlonKronsteen Member Posts: 905
    Danacm said:

Get rich or die trying, I believe is the saying.
    DreadKhan
  • VitorVitor Member Posts: 288
    The Bhaalspawn saved Xan from captivity. He owe you his life.
  • PingwinPingwin Member Posts: 262
    ThacoBell said:

Also Branwen presumably wants a word with whoever turned her to stone (Daveorn?).
    ThacoBellOrlonKronsteen
    Pingwin said:

ThacoBell said:

Also Branwen presumably wants a word with whoever turned her to stone (Daveorn?).
    True, Kivan, Branwen, Yeslick and maybe Xan have some revenge motivation.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Yeslick is definitely in it to get revenge on Rieltar. Kivan has like, The Crow levels of revenge boner for Tazok.
    JLee
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    Danacm said:

That's why not everyone becomes an adventurer .
    ThacoBell
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857

Danacm said:

Get rich or die trying, I believe is the saying.
    Doesn't making that your motto give enemies a bonus to ranged attacks?
    ThacoBellDanacmOrlonKronsteen
  • ArtonaArtona Member Posts: 1,077

IIRC it was Tarnesh, guy from Burning Wizard.
    For me the npc that is most unlikely to stay with Charname is Kagain. He has zero reasons after you earn something like 200k.
    ThacoBellDanacmOrlonKronsteen
    Artona said:

For me the npc that is most unlikely to stay with Charname is Kagain. He has zero reasons after you earn something like 200k.
    Or Eldoth, i never saw any reason after earn trillions of gold, why not he just betray you, imagine, why should he risk his life against a much stronger villain like Sarevok. Only if he fear more from you :D
    Another one is Garrick, who is the most coward npc of all.
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    Artona said:

No. It was Tranzig, the wizard you confront upstairs at Feldpost's Inn in Beregost. I think the EE has added a comment from her when you kill him with her in the party. The NPC Project probably has something too. In the vanilla game, she didn't even acknowledge seeing him there.
    DanacmThacoBellOrlonKronsteen
    @BelgarathMTH - yeah, I just checked and you are right. Tarnesh is dude from Friendly Arm Inn. Well, they do have similar names. And if you squint hard enough, "Burning Wizard" looks almost like "Feldepost". ;)
  • Very_BigSwordVery_BigSword Member Posts: 222
    Montaron and Xzar - representing the Zhentarim who were falsely implicated as the force behind the iron crisis. They would see it through to the destruction of the Iron Throne for the sake of their advancement in the organisation.

Faldorn and Yeslick - revenge for the defilement of their homes, and also Yeslick for his imprisonment and humiliation by Iron Throne.

Tiax - sees the Bhaalspawn due to divine heritage as worthy of "working with" while awaiting his opportunity for ascension to the Pantheon, when almighty Cyric wills it.

Edwin - using the group to acquire power and resources, with the end goal of becoming Arch-mage and able to take over leadership of Red Wizards. "You have to be in it to win it".

Ajantis is a paladin but opposing Sarevok/Iron Throne does not especially further the cause of his family or religious order. You could interpret it as his moral obligation to help prevent unjustified large scale slaughter planned by Sarevok.

Shar Teel is a strange one. Joins on the basis of a random first blood duel, man hater, but ends up facing off with dead beat Dad. However you come across him so late that it is hard to see why S-T stays with the group up to that stage.

Alora, Quayle, Eldoth, Skie, Garrick - hard to justify why they would see it through.
    DanacmThacoBell
  • UnderstandMouseMagicUnderstandMouseMagic Member Posts: 2,147

I always tend to think everybody just wants to hang out with the "cool" gang. Get loads of money, behave like a bunch of yobs, drink a lot, swagger around, smoke round the back of the bike sheds.

Then before they know it, hell, they're facing off against the big bad.

What else have they got going for them?

This is what happens when there is a lack of parental influence, kids end up on the streets and joining a gang.
  • XanatosXanatos Member Posts: 47
    S-T, or at least the version portraid by the NPC project, doesn't seem to have much plan or purpose in life other than being a tongue-in-cheek rendition of a man-hater, but taking her along, dual classing her to thief and using her as a throwing dagger based archer is a joy, and the romance talks (npc project) gives some personality and explanation to her damaged and erratic behavior. I feel like the money motivator is pretty universal for most of the evil characters.

If you're playing to the evil ethos she would probably be pleased with the destructive nature of the work you do, and running afoul of the law as a way of life. As far as keeping her in a neutral or good party, I couldn't cook up a reasonable explanation for that. Fun thread tbh. Excited to see what others come up with.
    Brecher
    Evil party with low reputation may stick together just because it's safer for outlaws to keep with each other.
    Cabal82
  • LammasLammas Member Posts: 211
    edited December 2018
    At least in my head I've always thought Shar-Teel pledges alliance with the winner because she wants to study their fighting so that she never falls to that style again while maybe even looking into a re-challenge once she is confident in her win to "right the past wrongs".

The only character I can think of no motivator whatsoever is Quayle.