Skip to content

DebugServer?

Where is that utility nowadays?

Not sure it would be helpful without setting the game in windowed mode which I can't seem to achieve, but just wondering whether that tool still exist.

Comments

• JapualtahJapualtah Member Posts: 165
    I'll try once more, anyone knows where to find the DebugServer executable pretty please ? B)
  • GM_ODAGM_ODA Member Posts: 177
    Never heard of it, too little information to do a search. Care to share more info?
    // SpawnScriptDebugger() will cause the script debugger to be executed
    // after this command is executed!
    // In order to compile the script for debugging go to Tools->Options->Script Editor
    // and check the box labeled "Generate Debug Information When Compiling Scripts"
    // After you have checked the above box, recompile the script that you want to debug.
    // If the script file isn't compiled for debugging, this command will do nothing.
    // Remove any SpawnScriptDebugger() calls once you have finished
    // debugging the script.
    void SpawnScriptDebugger()

But all of this requires the DebugServer exe to run in the background, exe which was released into the Utils folder of the installation at least up to 1.69

Now gone AWOL
  • SherincallSherincall Member Posts: 387
    You can use the 1.69 version of the executable.
    edited December 2018
    @Sherincall I don't have it, that's the whole problem :s

Edit: already searched to find a download to no avail.
    Post edited by Japualtah on
    I don't have it either, sorry, but it should be available in the GOG 1.69 download. If someone has it, please upload to nwvault. You can also ask on nwvault discord, a lot of people there will have it.
  • TarotRedhandTarotRedhand Member Posts: 1,481
    Having read through this I have just now added it as a request to be added to the forum questions for the next live-stream.

TR
    didn't know there was a vault Discord, will check it out, thx
  • dunahandunahan Member Posts: 139
    edited December 2018
    @Japualtah: Found it on my utils-folder. I'll upload the 1.69 version to the vault and share a link here :wink:

Okay, https://neverwintervault.org/project/nwn1/other/tool/debug-server-executable-nwn-diamond-v169-gog-version should be the file to be found :smile:
    Thx mate, got if from one of my players and... couldn't make it work unfortunately.
    I launch the DebugServer, listen on port 5121, start a windows NWN server on port 5121, toggle the debug options in the script editor, recompile the scripts, connect to the server in windowed mode and nothing happens besides some noticeable lag when the script stumbles across SpawnScriptDebugger()

There must be valid reasons why they removed this utility, so I'll keep debugging the old way with traces.
    Was worth a shot though.
  • TarotRedhandTarotRedhand Member Posts: 1,481
    edited December 2018
    According to this tutorial you are not doing it right. You do not need to launch debugserver nor look at any ports. Just look at the bottom of the tutorial.

TR
    edited December 2018
    I had an intuition and move DebugServer.exe from my NWN installation folder to the Steam install Utils folder, allthough there isn't any mention of a required path anywhere, but was worth a shot.

I made sure the debugger was listening on port 5122 and my NWNplayer.ini shows
    [Server Options]
    Game Port=5122
    Debugger Port=5122
    Debugger IP Address=127.0.0.1
    I launched the DebugServer manually (nothing will happen if you don't) and suddenly it worked.

Good you had me back hammering at it, nifty tool which should be standard (and documented !).

Cheers.
    Ugh, I just stumbled upon something that would have saved you the time. The DebugServer.exe must exist in a subdirectory called utils/, relative to where the game is. So in case you have a beamdog install, that should be /bin/win32/utils/DebugServer.exe

Shame I haven't spotted this earlier, but great that you got it working!
  • ValgavValgav Member Posts: 25
    Does this still work on current version? I cannot get it to lunch debug in toolset. I moved the DebugServer to /bin/win32/utils/DebugServer.exe. If i enable debugger in new GUI/Config it runs DebugServer.exe but seems that is unable to connect to the toolset.

Anyone was able to setup this correctly?