Skip to content

What is the one thing that truly makes you consider buying BG:EE?

fighter_mage_thieffighter_mage_thief Member Posts: 262
I must admit that the main reason I'm thinking of getting this version is for the multiplayer support. I remember wanting to play this ages ago with a friend, and we had the hardest time adjusting our computer settings to play a short session. I think playing this game with friends and strangers will be the real reward of this version, and how multiplayer is implemented will determine whether I buy it, since most other changes seem possible via mods.

I honestly see no other reason why I would seriously consider buying this, but it also makes me seriously doubt whether or not I should buy the version, since a lot of things would simply be ridiculous in multiplayer, such as meeting other players with 25 in all stats, or starting with characters with 18 in four or more stats. I think a point buy system like in Planescape Torment would fix a lot of issues I would have in this regard.
  1. What is the one thing that truly makes you consider buying BG:EE?264 votes
    1. multiplayer support
      10.61%
    2. new NPCs
      15.15%
    3. gameplay enhancements
      54.17%
    4. new cinematics
        1.14%
    5. new adventures (The Black Pits, and potentially more)
      18.94%

Comments

• fighter_mage_thieffighter_mage_thief Member Posts: 262
    salieri said:

IPad support?

I forgot about IPad support. That's a good point, although it wouldn't be the main draw for me. That being said, I wouldn't mind playing it while lying in bed ^ ^
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    The fact i already paid for it? XD. Couldn't lost the joke.

The fix of old mistakes, new engine, rewerite of old contents to better fit the NPCs behaviors, direct interaction of the new and the old content, an friendly mod tool interface, enhancement of game play by new magics, items, game interaction style and better AI for battle and party control.... among many other stuff.

So i brought BG EE and i discovered that none of the above would happen, well... i can live with that (barely), gonna see what BG EE turns out to be and i will evaluate it after the release.
    edited October 2012
    kamuizin said:

The fact i already paid for it? XD. Couldn't lost the joke.

The fix of old mistakes, new engine, rewerite of old contents to better fit the NPCs behaviors, direct interaction of the new and the old content, an friendly mod tool interface, enhancement of game play by new magics, items, game interaction style and better AI for battle and party control.... among many other stuff.

So i brought BG EE and i discovered that none of the above would happen, well... i can live with that (barely), gonna see what BG EE turns out to be and i will evaluate it after the release.

I know what you mean. When I heard BG enhanced, I thought it was being remade in 3D or something.

I literally pictured something like this lol. I was literally also like, "It's about freaking time!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAoOZOHY1TY

• LugeLuge Member Posts: 90
    More slots for NPCs to join. That is all.
  • WigglesWiggles Member Posts: 571
    Definitly multiplayer support. But also that the new kits, CHARACTER WALKING SPEED, fixed mechanics, typos, new classes, new race, DLC's (as long as they're optional and in good taste), too many to remember.
  • jfliederjflieder Member Posts: 115
    I suppose I never took much notice of the bugs in the original BG1. All of the gameplay, cinematic and multiplayer enhancements will certainly NOT go unnoticed, but the extra adventures and NPC's will add more to my enjoyment.
  • FrozenCellsFrozenCells Member Posts: 385
    The only thing that makes me think "wow I really want this" is support for my android tablet (yes I've tried GemRB) but having said that, I'm really looking forward to the new NPCs, they look really good. Seriously. Plus, it'll also be fun to see the new regions that are being added.

Most of the rest is either pretty much out there already in mod form or "nice" but not anything that I would miss if I stuck to BG1. I still play the original BG1 in original shitty resolution than BG1Tutu/BGT. Yeah. I can do without.

Hopefully the value of the game is only going to grow in the future, e.g. the planned Bhaalspawn-related sidequest and the (assumedly) improved moddability of the game leading to some interesting mods post-release.
  • ArcalianArcalian Member Posts: 359
    I must gather Dorn, Neera and Rasaad before venturing forth.
  • ChippyChippy Member Posts: 241
    18 dollars converts into a tuppence for one of the best games I've ever played with stuff added that I would have paid at least double for.

• AmardarialAmardarial Member Posts: 270
    I voted Gameplay Enhancements, everything else is icing on a so so so good cake.

That said, more NPC's, Items, Spells, Area's, Quests, Stronghold's etc via DLC please please please please please....do that and BG:EE series becomes the best money sink ever!!!!!!!!
  • shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    Speaking as a PC player who had absolutely no problem with modded GOG versions - it comes down to the three new NPCs. And, more importantly, the hope that the success of BG:EE will enable Beamdog to enhance other games (Planescape Torment comes to mind...)
  • revaarrevaar Member Posts: 160
    Availability on Mac.
  • XavioriaXavioria Member Posts: 874
    For me it's subraces and Dorn in particular. Also, multiplyer support, I don't view one more important than the other so I couldn't see how to vote correctly and accurately.

Subraces is a bit speculation at this point, but I read something that Subraces are in fact coming out and will be playable... at least at some point
  • darrenkuodarrenkuo Member Posts: 366
    i am happy to see better gameplay experience in Baldur's Gate
  • CyricSpawnCyricSpawn Member Posts: 74
    Ease of play to get BGtutu running on my iMac requires a masters and as much time installing the damn thing as playing it... So it's about the right experience across all devices. Loving cloud play at home then walk out the door and carry on till work sweet!
    I am so.... shocked by the results. Interesting.
    I am so used to mods that nothing apart from multiplayer support interests me much, and I'm in the minority. Clearly there were more options that I hadn't thought of though.
  • agrisagris Member Posts: 581
    None of the above, I want to support the commercial success of BG (and other games like BG) so that I have a chance of playing new games, someday, that are similar in depth / complexity to the IE games of old.

That, and updating the source code and introducing the series to a new generation is pretty awesome.
  • BrudeBrude Member Posts: 560

I am so.... shocked by the results. Interesting.
    I am so used to mods that nothing apart from multiplayer support interests me much, and I'm in the minority. Clearly there were more options that I hadn't thought of though.

Working multiplayer is a big draw for me (I hope to play a few games with some of the posters from these boards) but I think the poll results are skewed because "gameplay enhancements" covers such a wide field.

That category can cover everything from having BG2 kits in BG1 to zoomable areas to sprites that don't look like crap.
  • AnimewareAnimeware Member Posts: 73
    I've heard of bg for a couple of years i just never got around too actually play it and couldn't never find the game in retail stores exact console versions and when i did it was rare.

My main reason is because i been fan of role playing games for a long time my first ever role playing game wasn't final fantasy 7 or 10 it was legend of zelda for the snes called link into the past

I love role playing i love it more then any other Type of games like racing and sports games
  • WanderonWanderon Member Posts: 1,418
    Lock said:

For me it's that it's a complete package - BG1 in the BG2 engine with no stuffing about and trying to get everything working together and no installing anything that isn't the core game. I like complete and official packages of things.

This exactly!

• ArkynomiconArkynomicon Member Posts: 52
    I actually never got around to play trough Baldurs Gate before. Think it was mostly because I didn't get the DnD system. I was much more in to the Diablo that was much more actionpacked and it had an atmosphere that I enjoyed more.

Last summer I was at the country (a bit bored) and decided to give Icewind Dale a go. I had a blast and decided I should give BG a proper chance. So I found out about the new edition being made and decided to wait for the polished version rather then just playing the regular one.
  • Raistlin82Raistlin82 Member Posts: 256
    Well, number one would be bug fixes.
  • AHFAHF Member Posts: 1,376
    All of the above but if the multiplayer ends up being viable and convenient enough for me to play it with my brother and sister-in-law then that will probably be the most rewarding part of the enhancements. The additional content/characters is #2. Graphics update probably #3.

Gameplay enhancement is at the bottom of the list for me since I play a pretty bug free version of BGT.
  • AntonAnton Member, Moderator, Mobile Tester Posts: 513
    Tablets (Android & iPad support.)
  • GemHoundGemHound Member Posts: 801
    edited October 2012
    Everything, but I had to pick something so I went with this because it is pretty big.
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    edited October 2012
    Really looking forward to Multiplayer Support. That will be a huge deal. The new NPCs look pretty good so far, but we shall see. The new cinematics should be neat. Gameplay enhancements, meh. Lots of bugfixes which are nice but they're doing the whole sloppy TuTu thing where they bring the BG2 engine in and screw up a ton of shit and have to attempt to fix it. I'm sure I'll run into a few things that truly piss me off. Improvements are good, changes are bad. I'm rather picky about my BG1 you see.