Skip to content

[MOD] Neh'taniel NPC for BG2/BG2 EE

KitannaKitanna Member Posts: 58
edited April 2019 in BGII:EE Mods
Sir Neh'taniel will now work for old BG2 as well as BG2 EE. For those of you unfamiliar with him ...

The main point of creating this mod is to introduce an NPC that isn't primarily one-sided in personality, has a whole history of his own, and isn't a pushover.
While Neh'taniel isn't easily bruise-able, he'll very easily die if you try to make him fight a dragon solo. Neh'taniel considers himself to be at the same 'level' of the PC, and will point out conflicting choices the PC makes.
The Sir Neh’taniel Mod Pack adds this to BGII:

+ Judicial Knight, Neh’taniel of the Amaunatori, is an NPC who can join your party.
+ He is Lawful Neutral, Wraith, and a Judicial Knight paladin class.
+ He will romance an elf, half elf, human, halfling or gnome female pc of non evil alignment if she is not a thief, or an NPC.
+ He comes with special abilities that grow stronger when he reaches certain levels.
+ He does not become abducted by Bodhi, something else happens....
+ He gets turned into something else in the Underdark....
+ His sword has dialogue, even with the only other talking sword in the game.
+ A journal that will update itself when certain levels of experience are reached.
+ Custom items and spells oh my!
+ Custom paladin kit.
+ Yes, a cheesy theme song.
+ A voice pack.
+ Neh'taniel banters with many of the other joinable NPCs.
+ This mod also introduces other custom characters: Viduan and Sarie.
+ Restoration of the Bioware Slave Lord Quest.

You can find him by doing the Cult of the Unseeing Eye Quest. He is outside the Temple passed the bridge puzzle.

He has a forum with more info here ...
http://www.baldursgatemods.com/forums/index.php?board=96.0

The download link, however, will not work for this version or future ones as @CoM_Solaufein has to do that so...
I will put it here.

Also, you can visit here https://sites.google.com/view/kitannas-corner/home

I hope you enjoy Neht as much as I enjoyed writing him.

Post edited by Kitanna on
LavaDelVortelGusindaStefanO TheArtisanjmaeqBlackravenMirandelRaduzielmashedtatersIseweinFina92

Comments

• StefanOStefanO Member Posts: 346
    edited December 2018
    Is the Undying mod still necessary to play Nehtaniel? The README says one misses an important item if the Undying mod isn't installed before Nehtaniel.
  • LavaDelVortelLavaDelVortel Member Posts: 2,679
    That's a good question and... I never realized that there is this crossmod element. Could you tell us more about it so perhaps we can make it more independent?
  • KitannaKitanna Member Posts: 58
    edited December 2018
    No, the undying mod has compatibility issues with Neht so I told those who use it how to avoid the issue.
    -Compatibility Issues-

+ The Undying mod rewrites Captain Heagan and an important item doesn't drop for Neht's quest. So, if you want to play it with Neh'taniel, be sure to install The Undying before Neht.
    + BTL, Beyond the Law, rewrites a portion of Gaelan's dialogue which prevents an important dialogue from taking place. So, I have rewritten the dialogue and set it to fire in another place.
    The crossmod, I think... been a long time... is stuff Berelinde and I wrote as per your request Lava for one of your mods. But that was added to the crossmod banter pack. Also there is crossmod stuff for RE
  • saber0saber0 Member Posts: 84
    can you check for mac compatible?
    Neht was never made Mac compatible, sorry. Have to look into how to do it.
  • StefanOStefanO Member Posts: 346
    edited December 2018
    saber0 said:

can you check for mac compatible?

You can install the mod on the mac. The mod itself installs flawlessly. However, both windows batch files that were scheduled afterwards failed.

1. SK#Install.bat

The audio file conversion from ogg to wav format is no longer necessary. The ogg files are correctly copied to the override folder.

2. sk#unpac.bat

This batch file should uncompresses 3 TIZ files:

tisunpack -f sk5201.tiz tisunpack -f sk5401.tiz tisunpack -f sk6400.tiz

The tisunpack program comes with the weidu bundle for macos. Unfortunately the syntax is probably wrong. One has to specify the output file.

tisunpack -o sk5201.tis -f sk5201.tiz tisunpack -o sk5401.tis -f sk5401.tiz tisunpack -o sk6400.tis -f sk6400.tiz
    Execute these commands in the override folder and remove the 3 TIZ files afterwards.

i just converted all the net'aneil to netaneil without the '. it seems to be working
    Interesting that it would be a simple apostrophe, glad to hear it is working now.
    saber0
  • ArthasArthas Member Posts: 1,091
    Hello,
    any chance for you to also release Calin and Navarra?
    edited December 2018
    Wow, not sure how you know about them but, no, No chance sorry. I'm only sticking around to make sure there are no bugs with Neht. I am surprised by your comment because I only released 1 version of Calin and that was 9 years ago and I never really did a lot with Navarra, she is barely a mod. They both got put on a shelf for Neht.
    Arthas
    ...I think you should keep in mind, @Kitanna, that there are people who remember your other projects, so if not both of them, at least one may be worth a shot. There's not much to loose ;)
    I tried to play BG2 after all these years and not only do I not remember any of it, I just couldn't make myself play it. I have to play it to finish them. So, No thank you. I am flattered tho that someone would remember a nobody like me. But, I'm too tired to think about it, been up all night as my husband is in the hospital with compressed fractures in his back, 3 broken ribs and a concussion.
    it keeps crashing when that ghoul from graveyard tries to teleport us
    is there anyway to fix?
    On what version? (BG2 or BG2EE)
    That makes no sense, that has worked fine in the past. But, I don't own EE so if its happening with that version, I can't help you. Oh! your playing on Mac.... I have no idea on that one.
    I'll install the newest version of Neht and test it on BG2 but I can't promise when I'll have the time since my husband is still in the hospital.
    areas work differently on EE and there is a chance some new incompatibility happened or a mistake during dynamic change in areas, but it would be great if we had some more data on the issue like game type (old/EE) and if it's EE then what version it is, as some changes (IIRC) were introduced in patch v2.0 (tis+pvrz... unless that was already in previous versions, I don't remember...) Anyway, I think it shouldn't be impossible to track the source of the problem :)
    saber0
    That must be it, because Berelinde and I fought with that scene for so long I wanted to throw Neht in the recycle bin and click shred! LOL I know it works for OLD BG2. It just makes it hard for me, not having EE to track down the issue.
    sorry
    yeah using EE on mac
    I'm sorry, hopefully Lava will know what to do about the area and EE. This is why I don't want to release Calin and Navarra.... I don't have EE and can't work out the bugs.
    Yeah, I may need a moment for that. I think we should leave TisUnpack and Ogg->Wav tool behind. Area sizes are no longer a problem in times when mods weirght 50 mb, not 5 mb (when Neh'taniel was released transfer was a biggger deal) and WeiDU can deal with audio in a simpler way.
    Question: does this mod have ToB Content?
    edited December 2018
    Yes and I am actually quite proud of the TOB content. I hope you like it :smile:
    Thanks. I will try him in a Evil playthrough ehuehuehue
    edited December 2018
    Version 6.2
    -Further EE compatibility: tis for BG2, tis+pvrz files for BG2EE
    -Removed tiz-unpack and replaced old tiz files with tis
    -Removed external ogg decoding and added handle_audio
    -Moved version flag from translation to tp2
    -Unlocked portrait alternatives

Graveyard was tested and it all works fine now. Was tested but not for MAC
    Post edited by Kitanna on
    LavaDelVortelGusindasaber0
    is there any way to get past this?

RROR: parsing [A7-TOTLM-BG2EE/SETUP-A7-TOTLM-BG2EE.TP2]: Parsing.Parse_error
    ERROR: This Mod is too old (or too new) to uninstall that component for you.
    Upgrade to the newest versions of this mod and that one and try again.
    [Parsing.Parse_error]
    ERROR: Failure("uninstallation error")
    PLEASE email the file SETUP-NEHTANIEL.DEBUG to Kitannadk@yahoo.com
    Using Language [English]
    Well, I don't know. LavaDelVortel had just tested it on EE before he sent me the new version. But I can see, like it or not, I'm going to have to buy EE. I'll get back to you as soon as I can.
    I have no idea what's going on here. As @Kitanna said, I checked if it installs fine just after I applied the changed to tp2 and provided new stuff (like the new area/tilset files for EE). I may need some help here, because to make it even more fun, I can see some other mod is mentioned. I guess it's the new mod by @argent77 - any idea what that can be, argent?