Skip to content

Staff of the Magi vs. Carsomyr

With the EE, it appears you can weapon swap from 2h to dual wield without having to do inventory management, your equipped offhand just goes away. I think this is a great feature but it's changed up my playstyle a little bit.

No real need for carsomyr any more, since you can just swap to the staff and melee to dispel the target, then switch back to 8-10apr dual weilding with your weapons of choice.

Besides damage, is there any real need for my solo FMT to use carsomyr or should I just make a FM and use staff of the magi?

Comments

• BorekBorek Member Posts: 513
    Yeah no need for Carsomyr unless you want the Magic resistance (which may be bugged and only set you to 50% rather than add 50%, varies with mods). Staff of the Magi is the better option for dispel on hit since it had Prot.Evil, Invis and +2 AC when equipped and it's relative lack of damage compared to Carsomyr doesn't matter if you plan to switch after dispel on hit lands.
  • StummvonBordwehrStummvonBordwehr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,351
    Borek said:

Yeah no need for Carsomyr unless you want the Magic resistance (which may be bugged and only set you to 50% rather than add 50%, varies with mods). Staff of the Magi is the better option for dispel on hit since it had Prot.Evil, Invis and +2 AC when equipped and it's relative lack of damage compared to Carsomyr doesn't matter if you plan to switch after dispel on hit lands.

@Borek
    It isnt a bug, but was so in the vanilla game as well. The sword will stack with innate MR, and if you reequip items (ring of gaxx, amulets of power and such), the items will stack with the sword and the innate MR.

Agree with the other things pointed out. Staff of the magi and staff of the ram is a very solid combo - crushing damage and a lot of it.
  • ChroniclerChronicler Member Posts: 1,391
    I'm not sure I understand how the dual wielding thing relates.

Staff of the Magi and Carsomyr are both two handed weapons, right?
  • ahhyepahhyep Member Posts: 114
    I've just had an opportunity to use many different weapons now, the staff of the magi being one of them. Really OP, a staff that can dispel, I just didn't know if the dispels were as good as carsomyr
  • BorekBorek Member Posts: 513

Borek said:

@Borek
    It isnt a bug, but was so in the vanilla game as well. The sword will stack with innate MR, and if you reequip items (ring of gaxx, amulets of power and such), the items will stack with the sword and the innate MR.

Agree with the other things pointed out. Staff of the magi and staff of the ram is a very solid combo - crushing damage and a lot of it.
    Actually it does not stack with inate MR, it's set in NearInfinity to value of Set, which over-rides any other MR when equipped, it is possible you can unequip and re-equip other MR giving items and they *may* start stacking, but i just edit it in Near Infinity after install and change "Set" to "Increment" so that it correctly stacks. The +6 ToB version does correctly have it as increment by default, which is why i assume it's a bug with the +5 version.
  • DanacmDanacm Member Posts: 951
    Its not stack, and shouldnt be stack in any way. In the original game the devs wants to be set these mr, but failed to programming well. If it should be work as it should be, the set mr is never stack only the highest counts.

But the bug is in the system, so in the game every set number can be stackable.
  • QuickbladeQuickblade Member Posts: 957

He's saying his normal setup is dual wielding, and switches to either Staff of the Magi or Carsomyr to dispel on hit, and wants to know whether Carsomyr is worth being a FMT to use, rather than just be a F/M and use Staff of the Magi.
  • ChroniclerChronicler Member Posts: 1,391

He's saying his normal setup is dual wielding, and switches to either Staff of the Magi or Carsomyr to dispel on hit, and wants to know whether Carsomyr is worth being a FMT to use, rather than just be a F/M and use Staff of the Magi.
    Ah, that makes sense.

Personally I'm not sure any weapon on its own could justify picking up a whole new character class, but I mostly play Baldur's gate 1, am unfamiliar. With higher level play.