Skip to content

SoD Android - game very slow

lapislapis Member Posts: 4
edited December 2018 in Troubleshooting
I just purchased BG:SoD for Android and installed it to my tablet.
The game runs terribly slow - characters are moving in maybe 1/3 of the speed they should move and it is almost unplayable. Also spell casting is very slow etc. It gets a bit better when I zoom in to the maximal size, but it s still slow.
Is there any workaround for that, e.g. something I could change in Lua config?

I have Vodafone Tab Prime 7 (Snapdragon 430, 2GB RAM). SoD version is 2.5.16.4.

I remember I had similar issue with BG2EE - it was running fine on version 1.3, but it got slow after updating to 2.5. I didn't try the latest version though.
Post edited by lapis on

Comments

• lapislapis Member Posts: 4
    No advices? ?
  • GusindaGusinda Member Posts: 1,915
    Hi @Lapis, and welcome to the forum.

The current version of SOD should be 2.5.17.0. See if you can update the version and give it another bash. There were a few probs with the beta so the new release might fix the performance issue. I am guessing that you haven't modded the game at all (that was another prob with the beta).

BG2EE is still on 2.5.16.4 and I believe that it wont get an update until 2.6.x.

Other than that, I could suggest setting the 'Scale User Interface' (Options/Graphics) on and see what happens with speed then.

Gus
    JuliusBorisov
  • lapislapis Member Posts: 4
    Google Play shows 2.5.16.4 as the latest version for me. Where can I download 2.5.17?
    I didn't mod the game and I have Scale user interface enabled...
  • GusindaGusinda Member Posts: 1,915
    Interesting. What language are you using? Also, what version does BG1EE show (if you have it)? I popped on to Google Play and the version there says 'varies with device'.

Gus
    JuliusBorisov
  • DawgliciousDawglicious Member Posts: 221
    Unfortunately, Beamdog never seemed to bother properly evaluating playability on older devices. So while your device can TECHNICALLY run SoD, it cannot run it WELL. Older devices also can't handle some of the new graphical features, which the 2.5 patch introduced into BGEE and BG2EE.

For BGEE and BG2EE, try turning off Sprite Outlines and avoid using the Advanced AI in scripts. There doesn't seem to be any way to turn off that zoom effect when you go to the area map, so that will always be a little laggy.

The problem with SoD is that they implemented some graphical effects that are really nice looking, but really kill the game on weaker devices. For example, the slowdown you are seeing in the introduction dungeon of SoD is caused by that fog effect over the crevasse. Try walking into a room that is away from the crevasse, and then scroll your screen away from the fog/crevasse as well. You will likely notice an immediate jump in speed as long as the fog effect isn't anywhere on the screen. SoD is full of nicer looking effects like that though, so your game will constantly be slowed down. These effects, like the zoom effect for the area map, are unfortunately not toggle-able.

I would suggest attempting to get a refund if you are unhappy with how it runs. I would like to think Beamdog would be willing to help you out with this, since these issues are on them for allowing devices that are too weak to buy their game.

I have a Nexus 7, and when I submitted the SoD slowdowns as a bug, I was basically told that because my device met the MINIMUM requirements to run, I had to expect slowdown. However, having a game run at 50% or slower is not what I would consider minimum.

Siege of Dragonspear was a fun playthrough, but one that I did on my PC, and wasn't even going to bother trying on my tablet :(

GusindaJuliusBorisov
  • LichHeadLichHead Member Posts: 1
    I also have the lag experience
    Because there are too much NPC/Mobs everywhere
    I know, in baldur's gate city there are supposed to be alot of people to make it realistic but I wish there was a way to reduce the people like the other ones that doesn't have names

Then I tried Bg2 and it works perfectly smooth even though i have 5% storage left
    JuliusBorisovGusinda