Skip to content

Despised, ugh

Ok, doing my first evil run. I tried to limit my evil actions not to get my rep too low, because the Flaming Fist kill squads are annoying. But once I hired Viconia, Baeloth, and Dorn, I was despised automatically. I find it to be really tough to get back in decent rep, because once you are despised, you can't enter a town without being forced to kill a bunch of Flaming Fist pansies, immediately back at rep 1.

Any tips from seasoned evil campaigners?

Comments

• SirBatinceSirBatince Member Posts: 882
    Donations at the Friendly Arm Inn.

keep it at 6-7-8, youll be ok
    DordledumJuliusBorisovsemiticgoddess
  • OrlonKronsteenOrlonKronsteen Member Posts: 905
    You can try doing the good quests outside of the city, such as freeing the woman from stone on the basilisk map, helping the dryad save her tree, etc.. before going back to town. Doing the good quests doesn't necessarily feel intuitively conducive to a proper evil play-through, but the game is limited as a vehicle for evil RP, so there isn't too much else you can do, aside from donating to temples as SirBatince has suggested, or RPing a calculating evil, whereby you're trying to have a decent rep for strategic reasons (this is, to varying extents, what I do on my evil runs).

Another thing that helps, is imagining that your voice is absolutely dripping with sarcasm when you're choosing good dialogue choices. I've found this to be surprisingly effective in maintaining immersion.
    DordledumBlackravenJuliusBorisovsemiticgoddess
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    just remember, the lowest your REP can hit before the flaming fist hommies come in is 6, so keep it at 6 and you will be fine

also in case it matters, once your REP hits below 10 items will start costing more at stores, but i don't think the mark up is too bad if you are at 6 ( +30% ) but once your REP hits 3 or lower, then it sky rockets pretty quick, so make sure you plan on being rich if ye are being evil :)
    DordledumJuliusBorisov
  • PokotaPokota Member Posts: 858
    The temple just east of Beregost will not call Flaming Fist agents.

For future runs, yeah definitely try to stay above 7 if you can. Viconia, Dorn, and Baeloth all cause a reputation hit of -2 when they join the party, but this can be mitigated with (semi) local quests in each case:

Viconia: Joia's Flamedance Ring (FAI) and A Book for Firebead (Beregost)
    Dorn: I'm Not Greywolf (Nashkel), Praying Brage (Archaeological Dig Site -> Nashkel)
    Baeloth: Saved The Kid (Seawatcher), Saved The Dryad (Route to Gnoll Fortress)
    DordledumJuliusBorisovSkatan
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    edited December 2018
    Pokota said:

The temple just east of Beregost will not call Flaming Fist agents.

For future runs, yeah definitely try to stay above 7 if you can. Viconia, Dorn, and Baeloth all cause a reputation hit of -2 when they join the party, but this can be mitigated with (semi) local quests in each case:

Viconia: Joia's Flamedance Ring (FAI) and A Book for Firebead (Beregost)
    Dorn: I'm Not Greywolf (Nashkel), Praying Brage (Archaeological Dig Site -> Nashkel)
    Baeloth: Saved The Kid (Seawatcher), Saved The Dryad (Route to Gnoll Fortress)

speaking about the dryad in the cloud peaks, if you have a good reaction score and give that cat to the little girl by the waterfall you will get a REP bonus for that as well

also another easy point, ( the area above nashkiel, 2nd area south of beregost ) there is a hobgoblin group there ( 6 of them in total, 4 melee dudes 2 archer dudes ) just the the left of that location there is a necklace ( something on the lines of coquelette's family necklace or something ) take that necklace and bring it back to coquelette ( not sure if im spelling the name right, but its pretty close to what im typing here ) he is location east of feldepost's inn or in the house above where firebeard lives

also, another easy point is in the area where drizzt is ( the area north west of nashkiel ) there is 4 half-ogres on the top part of that map, waste those ninnies and go back to beregost to the inn south of the black smith and go talk to a guy named bjorn i believe his name is, he will give you 1 REP points and a medium shield +1

also at the end of chapter 4 in the cloakwood mines you can either get a +2 or -2 REP just incase you want to move it depending on what you do with the slaves, you have 3 options:

talk to rill, give him the 100 GP save the slaves, flood the mines, get REP +2 and 2000 XP
    talk to rill, tell him to go back to work slave, flood the mines, lose 2 REP and get 800 XP
    talk to rill, say whatever you want, don't flood the mines ( believe it or not flooding the mines is not necessary ) if you don't flood the mines you will get no bonus XP and your REP will not move, just kill daevaron and move on to BG the city

also, if you bring back mulahey's holy symbol to the mayor of nashkiel he will also increase your REP by 1, give you 900 gold and 1000 XP

another point is in an area directly north of nashkiel carnaval ( the area where you get the two handed sword +1 from the half ogre ) near the bottom centre of that map there will be a dude outside an abandoned house whose cow is surrounded by xvarts, if you manage to kill the xvarts and keep the cow alive you will get REP +1 and 350 XP, if the cow dies, then you only get the 350 XP

another REP point can be gained from the area most east south of the game ( the place where you find the ring of fire resistance in the mountain -easter egg item ) if you talk to the noble woman and agree to bring samuel to the friendly arm inn, bring him to the priestess there and she will give you +1 REP, 400 XP, a potion of heroism and an elixir of healing
    DordledumJuliusBorisov
  • DordledumDordledum Member Posts: 243
    Thanks all, I just restarted and rolled myself a 94 point Kensai, :)
    sarevok57JuliusBorisov
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,366
    Another promising run abandoned...

I don't know about you all, but I'd pay good money for a Potion of Cure Restartitis!
    DordledumSkatan
  • JLEJLE Member Posts: 58
    When picking up Viconia, Baeloth and Dorn, don't get them all at once - get them one at a time, then bribe your reputation back up at a temple (or do a mini-quest for a rep point) between each. This shouldn't be a problem: you can get Viconia almost first thing out of the Friendly Arm, but Dorn not until you're on your way from Nashkel to the Mines, and Baeloth not till you're level 5 or so, you should have plenty time to raise your rep in between each one.

I actually find the *reverse* to be the annoying case: wanting to find some way to drop my reputation by a couple of points, so as to keep an evil character in the team, or stop a neutral one complaining (thank you very much, Jaheira) - frankly druids should be allowed to be good or evil as long as they are neutral with respect to law/chaos, and Jaheira should be NG, and Faldorn NE.)

I don't want to lose a ton of points (as by murdering someone), just one or two. And getting caught pickpocketing is problematic because if one townsfolk turns hostile, they all do, so pretty much the only alternative is to pickpocket someone in their own home who never comes out of it.
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,305
    edited January 2019
    JLE said:

I don't want to lose a ton of points (as by murdering someone), just one or two. And getting caught pickpocketing is problematic because if one townsfolk turns hostile, they all do, so pretty much the only alternative is to pickpocket someone in their own home who never comes out of it.

You could also steal from containers in houses in Beregost, while in sight of the inhabitants, and then go immediately to stand by the door. When the guards arrive talk to them to lose 1 reputation and then immediately leave before they get oriented (so they won't follow you).
    JuliusBorisov
  • JLEJLE Member Posts: 58
    Ha. I've already stolen everything in Beregost that wasn't nailed down, and in a few cases I stole the nails as well. May have to repeat that in Nashkel...
  • SirBatinceSirBatince Member Posts: 882
    JLE said:

if one townsfolk turns hostile, they all do, so pretty much the only alternative is to pickpocket someone in their own home who never comes out of it.

that's an issue that EE specifically resolved compared to original. It shouldn't bother anyone unless the other npcs are directly related with the victim.