Skip to content

Doctor Who builds in 5th edition D&D

Happy new year fellow nerds. My friends and I are working to recreate different characters in Dnd 5e. Yesterday i made The Doctor from dr. who.

If anything the Doctor is high Intelligence, low Wisdom. He gets lost in his thoughts and has a hard time remembering to explain them to the muggles, but the depth and breadth of his knowledge are unfathomable and even off-putting to people who haven't been alive for 1000 years. His CON should be high - not just the actual Regeneration process, but he is shown to be highly resistant to radiation and toxic chemicals that would harm or kill a human, and his binary vascular system (two hearts) makes him generally more robust.

Personally I would aimmore along the lines of a Divination wizard with the Sage background (knowledge is everything and you're a step ahead of everybody else). Str 10 Dex 14 Con 16 Int 20 Wis 11 Cha 18. Skills: Arcana, History, Insight, Investigation. Cantrips: Light, Mending, Minor Illusion; 1st Level: Alarm, Comprehend Languages, Detect Magic, Identify, Sleep, Shield

The Doctor prefers to talk first, run second, and defeat his enemy by messing up their plan (rather than directly attacking them) third. He does occasionally lose sight of this methodology and leave scorched earth behind, but even then it's because he uses his enemies' weapons or situation against them. He doesn't usually bring weapons.

The doctor is NOT a pacifist. The 10th and 11th doctors were reluctant to use weapons because of the mental scars left by the Time War, but earlier doctors (and for that matter also the 12th) were not afraid to kill or destroy planets for the greater good.

@Fardragon @typo_tilly
lolien

Comments

• LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    Each regeneration changes things up a little. You hve Doctors who were fairly feeble old men (1,2). Some who were strong and vigorous (3 definiely applies here, with his Venusian Karate). Some were very human and approachable (5), while others were coldly alien and erratic (6). I'd say the Doctor is a moral pragmatist. He doesn't like cruelty and/or genocide, but he does like to help people in trouble. Ir's almost like he can't help himself sometimes. And don't forget his second regeneration argued to the Time Lords that there was evil in the universe which much be fought, and he left Galifrey in part to do something about it- he couldn't bring himself to stand by and watch and do nothing.

For the Early Doctor Who, there is an interesting YouTube series about it, which examines 1-6 (so far) in very good detail. It seems to come out every 3-4 months or so.

Grond0ShapiroKeatsDarkMageZaghoullolien
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    Alignment is chaotic good, but other than a high intelligence the Doctor's stats change - the Doctor Who RPG had stats for each version of the Doctor. In purely mechanical terms, a 5e Doctor would have to have a high wisdom - good at resisting mental control and noticing things others overlook.
    ShapiroKeatsDarkMage
    My friend Rachel still has the Doctor Who RPG boxed set.
  • ShapiroKeatsDarkMageShapiroKeatsDarkMage Member Posts: 2,428
    Fardragon said:

Alignment is chaotic good, but other than a high intelligence the Doctor's stats change - the Doctor Who RPG had stats for each version of the Doctor. In purely mechanical terms, a 5e Doctor would have to have a high wisdom - good at resisting mental control and noticing things others overlook.

I think he alternates between Neutral Good and Chaotic Good depending on incarnation. 5th was the closest to a lawful good Doctor while 6th is a chaotic neutral tit.
    LadyRhian said:

My friend Rachel still has the Doctor Who RPG boxed set.

Is the RPG good?
    From what I remember, yes. it's not really *about* the Doctor, though you can do that if you want. It allows you to make your own Time Lord character and go on adventures.

@ShapiroKeatsDarkMage At the beginning, assuredly CN, but he mellows into CG over time, especially through the events of "Trial of a Time Lord". And don't forget the NE/CE Valyard as well (who was supposed to be an Evil Future Version of the Doctor. I'd also say that the 7th Doctor, later on, is more TN in his portrayal, with the way he sets up his foes to be defeated in very long games indeed. (The Curse of Fenric and Silver Nemesis, the second of which he had set up back when he was the First Doctor!)
    ShapiroKeatsDarkMage
    LadyRhian said:

From what I remember, yes. it's not really *about* the Doctor, though you can do that if you want. It allows you to make your own Time Lord character and go on adventures.

@ShapiroKeatsDarkMage At the beginning, assuredly CN, but he mellows into CG over time, especially through the events of "Trial of a Time Lord". And don't forget the NE/CE Valyard as well (who was supposed to be an Evil Future Version of the Doctor. I'd also say that the 7th Doctor, later on, is more TN in his portrayal, with the way he sets up his foes to be defeated in very long games indeed. (The Curse of Fenric and Silver Nemesis, the second of which he had set up back when he was the First Doctor!)

What kind of rule system It uses?
    edited January 2019

LadyRhian said:

What kind of rule system It uses?
    FASA. So, there are 6 statistics, which range from Level 1 to Level VII. Also, I looked. No stats for the Doctor inside, but plenty for races like Sontarans, Movellians, etc. None for any of the known companions, either. However, there is also a Doctor Who board game, which she also had, by Games Workshop. Edit: No stats in the boxed set, anyway.
    Post edited by LadyRhian on
    Caveat: This is the FASA version which came out in 1985. There is a new Doctor Who RPG put out by Cubicle 7 games. Neither I nor my friend have seen that one.
    lolien
    There was another Doctor Who RPG as well, just published in book form, between the FASA one and the Cubicle 7 one. That one suggested you played as the Doctor + companions.
    ShapiroKeatsDarkMage
    edited January 2019
    EXTERMINATE! EXTERMINATE! EXTERMINATE! The Daleks have invaded the Forgotten Realms!

Dalek

Medium monstrosity, lawful evil
    Armor Class: 18 (Dalekanium armor)
    Hit Points: 84 (20d4+43)
    Speed: 20 ft., fly 40 ft.

Str 5 (-3), Dex 10 (+0), Con 20 (+5), Int 18 (+4), Wis 10 (+0), Cha 12 (+1)

Saving throws: Constitution +9, Intelligence +8, Charisma +5
    Skills: Arcana +8, Intimidation +5
    Damage Immunities: poison
    Damage Resistances: bludgeoning piercing and slashing from nonmagical attacks
    Condition Immunities charmed, exhaustion, paralyzed, petrified, poisoned, prone
    Senses: Darkvision 120 ft., Passive perception 10
    Languages: Common, Dalek
    Challenge: 6 (2,300)

Dalek Constitution. Whenever a Dalek drops to 0 hit points, it makes Constitution saving throw with a DC of 8 plus the amount of damage taken. If it succeeds, it drops to 1 hit point instead. Additionally, if an attack deals less than 5 damage, the Dalek takes no damage.

Actions

Extermination Ray. Ranged Weapon Attack: +8 to hit, range 180 ft., one target. Hit: 25 (4d8 + 8) lightning damage.

Suction Cup. Melee Weapon Attack: The Dalek chooses a target adjacent to it, which must make a DC 13 Constitution check. On a fail, the target takes 13 (4d4 + 4) psychic damage and it is grappled. The Dalek cannot make another suction cup attack while grappling a creature. If the target creature is dropped to 0 hit points with this attack, the Dalek obtains all of their knowledge and memories and regains a number of hit points equal to the damage dealt.

If you ever wanted to make elves, dwarves, wizards or Beholders fight against Daleks, now you can.

@LadyRhian @Fardragon

Post edited by ShapiroKeatsDarkMage on
    Grond0lolien
    I actually had daleks in my Traveller campaign in the late 80s. How you stat them would vary on which version you are trying to recreate - some might even have fly, levitate and even invisibility as spell like abilities! The version in the New Year's Day special was very interesting, with some new abilities for the dalek creature itself.

Daleks are definitely not immune to the "prone" condition!
    Fardragon said:

I actually had daleks in my Traveller campaign in the late 80s. How you stat them would vary on which version you are trying to recreate - some might even have fly, levitate and even invisibility as spell like abilities! The version in the New Year's Day special was very interesting, with some new abilities for the dalek creature itself.

There are Daleks in Traveller?

Fardragon said:

There are Daleks in Traveller?
    There where after I added them...
    lolien
    edited January 2019
    ''There is logic in what he says.''

CYBERMAN

Medium construct, lawful evil
    Armor class: 16
    Hit Points: 64 (16d4+31)
    Speed: 20 ft.

STR 18 (+4), DEX 14 (+2), COS 14 (+2), INT 18 (+4), WIS 10 (+0), CHA 10 (+0)

Saving throws: Constitution +5, Intelligence +7, Wisdom +3
    Skills: Arcana +7, Intimidation +3, Perception +3
    Damage Resistance: bludgeoning, piercing and slashing from nonmagical attacks.
    Damage Immunities: poison, psychic
    Damage Vulnerabilities: bludgeoning, piercing and slashing with Golden weapons
    Condition Immunities charmed, exhaustion, frightened, paralyzed, petrified, poisoned
    Senses: Passive perception 13
    Languages: Common
    Challenge Rating: 5 (1,800 xp)

Hive Mind. Any information that a Cyberman receives is automatically distributed among all other Cybermen. If a Cyberman’s Intelligence or Wisdom is increased, all other Cybermen’s Intelligence or Wisdom is likewise increased.

ACTIONS

Shocking Grip. Melee Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 13 (4d4 + 4) lightning damage.

Laser Gun. Ranged Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, range 60 ft., one target. Hit: 13 (4d4 + 4) radiant damage.

Upgrade. The Cyberman will grapple a small, medium or large humanoid creature (escape DC 14). If after two rounds the creature has not escaped the grapple, it must either succeed on a DC 18 Constitution check or enter Cyber-control. At this stage, it can only escape control if a friendly creature grapples it successfully for two straight rounds or uses a Wish spell to remove them. If after three rounds the creature has not escaped Cyber-control, it must either succeed on a DC 18 Constitution check or become a Cyberman permanently.

REACTIONS

Self-Upgrade. If a Cyberman is attacked by any nonmagical weapon or a weapon that isn't gold and the weapon cannot deal 13 or more damage at one time, it will upgrade itself. After one round it is immune to that particular weapon. After two rounds all Cybermen within 60 ft. of it are also immune to the same weapon.

@Fardragon @LadyRhian
    lolien
    edited January 2019
    I'd say Cybermen have a greater CON than 14 More like 18. They are incredibly resistant to weaponry.

However, there's one being/thing that can cut them down like a knife through butter:
    The Raston Warrior Robot

ShapiroKeatsDarkMage
    LadyRhian said:

I'd say Cybermen have a greater CON than 14 More like 18. They are incredibly resistant to weaponry.

However, there's one being/thing that can cut them down like a knife through butter:
    The Raston Warrior Robot

But they go down like b***** with a little bit of gold dust. Hence the vulnerabilities with golden weapons.
    edited January 2019
    Yes. Should also be taken down by a handful of Gold dust and a breath (optional: Gust of Wind)

And this: http://tardis.wikia.com/wiki/Raston_Warrior_Robot
    Now, don't blame me if you lose hours on this website...
    edited January 2019
    LadyRhian said:

Yes. Should also be taken down by a handful of Gold dust and a breath (optional: Gust of Wind)

Damn. Here's another underrated critter.

How would you stat that robot?

LadyRhian said:

Super dexterity, self-haste at will, misty step.
    Fardragon said:

LadyRhian said:

Super dexterity, self-haste at will, misty step.
    How about haste and misty step 3/day to be more merciful?
    Teleport instead of Misty Step? And make it 10x a day. Heightened senses (hunts by movement).
    Blightsight 120 ft, disadvantage on perception checks against non-moving targets.
    edited January 2019
    ''Don't blink.''

WEEPING ANGEl

Medium aberration, chaotic evil

Armor class: 16 (natural armor)

Hit Points: 52 (7d8+21)

Speed: 40 ft., fly 60 ft.

Str 15 (+2), Dex 13 (+1), Cos 18 (+4), Int 12 (+1), Wis 14 (+2), Cha 16 (+3)

Saving throws: Con +7, Wis +5, Cha +6

Skills: Deception +6, Perception +5, Stealth +4

Damage Resistances: bludgeoning, piercing and slashing from nonmagical weapons that aren't adamantine

Damage Immunities: poison, psychic

Condition Immunities: Exhaustion, Petrified, Poisoned

Senses: Darkvision 120 ft., Passive perception 15

Languages: Celestial, Deep Speech, Telepathy 120 ft.

Challenge rating: 6 (2,300)

False Appearance: While the Angel remains motionless, it is indistinguishable from an inanimate statue.

Petrifying Red Light Green Light: While a creature observes the angel without blinking, it gains the petrified condition and cannot move or attack. While in this state its resistances become immunities and gains all the effects of a petrified creature. A player character can use his or her reaction to cast out a 60 ft cone with his/her sight and any angel caught in the cone will be petrified on its next turn. After 5 uses of this ability, a player character must make a Constitution saving throw with a DC of 5 to succeed on each subsequent turn. This DC increases by 5 each time it is attempted up to a maximum of 20. The area of this ability is halved if the creature is in low light (without darkvision) and cannot be used by a blinded character, creatures relying on blindsight to see, those in complete darkness, undead or constructs. While not petrified and working with other Angels, the Angel can use its reaction to ensure that it doesn't look at another Angel and If two angels fail to use their reaction and look at each other then they remain petrified until something breaks the line of sight such as a Darkness spell.

Pack Tactics. The Angel has advantage on attack rolls against a creature if at least one of its allies is within 5 feet of the creature and the ally isn't incapacitated.

ACTIONS

Multiattack: The Angel makes two attacks: one with its bite and one with its claws or can use its aging touch instead.

Bite. Melee Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 7 (1d10 + 2) piercing damage.

Claws. Melee Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 7 (1d10 + 2) slashing damage.

Aging Touch. Melee Weapon Attack: +7 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 10 (2d6 + 3) necrotic damage and the Angel regains hit points equal to the damage done. The targets maximum hit points are lowered based on the necrotic damage done and the character ages a number of years equal to the damage of the attack. The lost hit points are restored after a long rest but the additional years of age can only be restored by a greater restoration spell or similar magic. Each time a character suffers a aging touch that takes them above a venerable age (e.g. 70 with humans) they gain a level of exhaustion and after gaining 5 levels the victim dies and turns to ash.

Ethereal Sprint. The Angel can use its bonus action to dash, disengage or hide and is ethereal while it moves allowing it to pass through objects and ignore difficult terrain. The Angel does not provoke attacks of opportunity while using its ethereal sprint.

@Fardragon

lolien
    How would you stat The Master and Davros?

@LadyRhian @Fardragon
    I know nothing about 5e, so I wouldn't be able to do much there. Master- high INT, low Wis. (at least for the Anthony Ainley version).

Davros, 19 INT, 5 WIS, STR 3, CON 5, CHR 5, DEX 3 (now, considering he is in a chair that has to have life support. Alignment: LE (same as the Daleks). Human body AC10 (or whatever unarmored is, these days).

Davros was crippled in an attack on the Khaleds, ever since, he has been confined to a mechanical wheelchair which gives him complete life support. He was so convinced that his side was in the right (when in reality, both sides were evil), that he created the ultimate weapon, the Daleks. He programmed them to think they were superior, and all others should die or be enslaved by the Daleks, not realizing that this meant that the Daleks also held the Khaleds in contempt and kill them and their creator (thus, the very low wisdom). His other low stats come from the crippled nature of his body. If removed from his life-support chair, he will die in very short order.

However, his chair is very sturdy. It moves at a slow speed (15'), and cannot go where the floors are not smooth. The chair is unarmed, but is made of the same metal as Daleks. Unfortunately, his upper body is unarmed and vulnerable.

This would seem to make him a pushover as an opponent. However, at least at first, his Daleks protected him and could be commanded by him. When the Daleks were complete, however, he was killed by his own creations, never considering that they could, and did turn on him once they were complete.
    edited January 2019
    LadyRhian said:

I know nothing about 5e, so I wouldn't be able to do much there. Master- high INT, low Wis. (at least for the Anthony Ainley version).

Davros, 19 INT, 5 WIS, STR 3, CON 5, CHR 5, DEX 3 (now, considering he is in a chair that has to have life support. Alignment: LE (same as the Daleks). Human body AC10 (or whatever unarmored is, these days).

Davros was crippled in an attack on the Khaleds, ever since, he has been confined to a mechanical wheelchair which gives him complete life support. He was so convinced that his side was in the right (when in reality, both sides were evil), that he created the ultimate weapon, the Daleks. He programmed them to think they were superior, and all others should die or be enslaved by the Daleks, not realizing that this meant that the Daleks also held the Khaleds in contempt and kill them and their creator (thus, the very low wisdom). His other low stats come from the crippled nature of his body. If removed from his life-support chair, he will die in very short order.

However, his chair is very sturdy. It moves at a slow speed (15'), and cannot go where the floors are not smooth. The chair is unarmed, but is made of the same metal as Daleks. Unfortunately, his upper body is unarmed and vulnerable.

This would seem to make him a pushover as an opponent. However, at least at first, his Daleks protected him and could be commanded by him. When the Daleks were complete, however, he was killed by his own creations, never considering that they could, and did turn on him once they were complete.

I think Davros is more chaotic evil. Also you should really take a look at the 5e books. It's basically a pastiche of Ad&d and 3e.
    I kinda see Davros as an artificer wizard.
    LadyRhian
    The Time Lords are all wizards, except fot the guards, and the Shobogans Who are Rangers/Barbarians.
    Ran across this on the web: How to write in Gallifreyan:
    https://m.wikihow.com/Write-in-Gallifreyan