Skip to content

What is fhte best lawful good Two handed sword in chapter 5 on wards?

I want to replace Lilaracor because it is driving me insane... I have grandmaster two-handed sword and +2 to two weapon style so I am itching for something better than this please respond asap

Comments

• xizorxizor Member Posts: 89
    Before ToB your best options (other than Lilarcor) are probably:

1. Harbinger - can be bougth in Ust Natha, but it is tricky to use.
    2. Silver Sword - if you keep the silver blade and refuse to give it back to Githyanki you'll eventually find the second part. Take them to Cromwell.
    3. Warblade - can be bought in Adventurer's Mart after chapter 5.

There is one more, but it is only usable by paladins.
  • RealReal Member Posts: 68
    edited December 2018
    Aside from Xizor mentioned, you can also get Soulreaver +4 in pre-ToB, which have the same stats as Warblade but also causes cumulative thac0 penalties when used against enemies. This effect used to be glitched in vanilla, making it just a unique +4 two-handed sword, but I believe it is fixed now in EE, making it an actual viable end-game weapon, even in ToB. It is obtainable from
    Defeating Demogorgon in the Underdark

There are another two weapons in ToB which are superior damage wise though. Unfortunately, the lack of weapon variety in specific weapon types always made me prefer to just get specialization in several 2-h weapon types, instead of just grandmastery in one.

Unfortunately, grandmastering into the wrong weapon can be a trap for new players, since not all weapon types are equal. Thankfully though, at least all 2-H weapons (bastard sword aside) have a few usable unique weapons.

EDIT: Just realised your align is Lawful Good. This means you can't use Soulreaver unfortunately. My bad.
  • VitorVitor Member Posts: 288
    If you're a Paladin, Carsomyr is the best Two Handed Sword you'll ever get.

If you're not a Paladin, you should try Halberds instead of Great Swords... Ravager (ToB) is the second best two-handed weapon, after Carsomyr.
    georgelappies
  • KhyronKhyron Member Posts: 626
    @Playstation420 Two Weapon style is for dual wielding, you want two handed style
    @Real Demogorgon is not in the underdark and bastard swords are not 2 handed..

Silver Sword and Warblade are your best bet, since you can't dual to thief and get Use Any Item, as you are lawful good.
    DanacmThacoBell
  • DanacmDanacm Member Posts: 950
    edited December 2018
    Halberds are good alternate, 2-3 good halberds can be found in SOA. Spears are only good in the latest stage of the game so maybe its too late to be useful.

http://mikesrpgcenter.com/bgate2/weapons/halberds.html

It not contains the EE addons.
  • WrathofreccaWrathofrecca Member Posts: 98
    Silver sword is ridiculous except vs bosses. IMO it's the best 2handed sword although I do switch to others situationally.
    sarevok57Kuronagorgonzola
  • DhariusDharius Member Posts: 654
    edited December 2018
    Shame you can’t use the soul reaver + 4... so it’s either silver sword or warblade which are both good.

You do get a chance to change your alignment later in the game though, if you prefer, which would make the soul reaver another (better than the silver sword imho) choice.
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    in my opinion the silver sword is one of the best two handed swords in the whole game, that 25% chance of baddies making a save vs death ( with a penalty just for added sugar on top ) or die instantly is simply top notch

now if for some weird reason you can't obtain the silver sword ( because you need the blade and hilt of the sword to do so ) warblade from ribald under his "special wares" is the only option, but the thing to note about warblade is that it deals 2 more damage than a two handed sword would normally deal ( it deals 1d12 instead of 1d10 ) so the damage you can deal with that weapon can be pretty darn good, but even with that said i still favor the silver sword more because that weapon just seems to rip and tear through baddies quicker with that instant death effect
    KuronagorgonzolaDragonspear
  • DhariusDharius Member Posts: 654
    edited January 2019
    Yeah Harbinger (and its close relative the club of detonation in TOB) are rather cool, but it’s a good idea to make sure your party are well protected from fire before you try using them.

Even a standard two handed sword +3 is ok for most of the game against nearly all foes.
  • marilithmarilith Member Posts: 25
    Gram the Sword of Grief is cool but you get it too late in the game.

In Baldurs Gate 1 I used cursed berserking sword. It's not too much trouble to use it, just make sure your party members are far from you when you go berserk :)
  • gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    edited January 2019
    Vitor said:

If you're not a Paladin, you should try Halberds instead of Great Swords... Ravager (ToB) is the second best two-handed weapon, after Carsomyr.

halberds are really strong in late game, but before the underdark you can not get the good ones, not a bad choice, but i personally prefer to have weapon choices viable trough all the game than uber weapons i can use only when i have uber parties so uber weapons are no more needed.
    Danacm said:

Spears are only good in the latest stage of the game so maybe its too late to be useful.

not true, a +3 spear can be find in the building where you get celestial fury so potentially right after the starting dungeon and the impaler is one of the most damaging weapons, late game ixil can pin even the last boss. their real problem is that is piercing damage, the most easily resisted.
    and if someone uses item upgrade mod... ;)

an other very good option is staves, a +4 one in chap 2, an other with charges and good damage and then the staff of the ram that you can get in soa if you go to WK from there and you can upgrade in ToB. you have also some specialized staves to deal with elementals and golems. further more they are blunt so almost no enemy is immune to them.
    staves are also the only 1Hweapons that can be DW, even if i am not sure if the DW pips and the 2Hweapon ones stack. with a staff mace and belm/kundane a lev 13 fighter has 5 apr with reduced weapon speed and doubled chance of critical hit on 4 attacks, in some situations it can be really useful.

i would say that all the 2Hweapons are sound choices, 2Hswords included.
    lilacor can be annoying, but is a +3 weapon that you can get quite easily at the beginning of chap 2, with some really useful mind shielding capabilities that can be so important in early game when your ST are not so good, humber hulks and other enemies are much less dangerous if your main fighter is protected from their confusion spell...
    then the silver blade and the rest. viable from the start of bg2 to the end of tob, even for a LG fighter that has not access to carsomyr and soul reaver.
  • masteralephmasteraleph Member Posts: 270
    edited January 2019

Vitor said:

halberds are really strong in late game, but before the underdark you can not get the good ones, not a bad choice, but i personally prefer to have weapon choices viable trough all the game than uber weapons i can use only when i have uber parties so uber weapons are no more needed.
    Isn't there a pretty strong one in the lower level of the unseeing eye and another one available for purchase from
    Deidre in the Adventurer's Mart?

ThacoBellStummvonBordwehr
  • gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    true, they are both +3 weapons.
  • BorekBorek Member Posts: 513
    if you import from SoA then you'll probably have access to the Dragon Blade, excellent weapon for a PC Barbarian/Berserker or Minsc, it's only +3 but increased crit chance when berserk, + cold damage + Save or slowed.

Vitor said:

Isn't there a pretty strong one in the lower level of the unseeing eye and another one available for purchase from

those 2 weapons are halberds, not two handed swords, although joluv has joril's dagger +3 which is a two handed sword that deals +1 cold damage and has a chance to confuse it's target
  • MichelleMichelle Member Posts: 549
    Silver Sword is probably the best, even for Paladins I use it more than Carsomyr. Lilarcor is a good option until you get either of those. Joril’s Dagger doesn’t talk if that would be better. :)

You can get a decent halberd early. Harmonium gives +1 strength and is pretty cheap and Dragon Bane can be gotten in The Cult of the Unseeing Eye. You can’t get Blackmist as lawful good but Dragon’s Breath and Wave are both solid weapons.

Nobody ever shows much interest in spears which I find surprising. Spear of Kuldahar is inexpensive and can be gotten in the beginning of SoA. There are two plus three spears in an upstairs room when you get Celestial Furry. Sahuagin City though is where they start to shine, Impaler is probably the most damaging, non spell weapon in SoA it does 14-19 damage. I had the plan with a solo fighter/druid to go from staff use mostly to spears and back to the staff after getting Staff of the Ram, but ended up using Impaler for everything that did not need grater than +3 to hit. It is so annoying chasing someone down during GWW.

Your question was 2 handed swords though. Silver Sword is solid for the rest of the game and just change out when needed.
    ThacoBellStummvonBordwehr
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    I always liked two-handed swords in bg2, with such goodies as Lilarcor available pretty early and a kinda beefy +2 in the opening dungeon, and a pretty good late game option for almost any character.

Silver Sword is both underrated as a weapon and features a very amusing quest, with some great lines. I used this for a build and enjoyed it.
  • masteralephmasteraleph Member Posts: 270
    sarevok57 said:

Vitor said:

those 2 weapons are halberds, not two handed swords, although joluv has joril's dagger +3 which is a two handed sword that deals +1 cold damage and has a chance to confuse it's target
    Yes, I was responding to the tangent about there being no good halberds pre chapter 5.
    sarevok57

Silver Sword is probably the best, even for Paladins I use it more than Carsomyr. Lilarcor is a good option until you get either of those. Joril’s Dagger doesn’t talk if that would be better. :)

You can get a decent halberd early. Harmonium gives +1 strength and is pretty cheap and Dragon Bane can be gotten in The Cult of the Unseeing Eye. You can’t get Blackmist as lawful good but Dragon’s Breath and Wave are both solid weapons.

Nobody ever shows much interest in spears which I find surprising. Spear of Kuldahar is inexpensive and can be gotten in the beginning of SoA. There are two plus three spears in an upstairs room when you get Celestial Furry. Sahuagin City though is where they start to shine, Impaler is probably the most damaging, non spell weapon in SoA it does 14-19 damage. I had the plan with a solo fighter/druid to go from staff use mostly to spears and back to the staff after getting Staff of the Ram, but ended up using Impaler for everything that did not need grater than +3 to hit. It is so annoying chasing someone down during GWW.

Your question was 2 handed swords though. Silver Sword is solid for the rest of the game and just change out when needed.

i've actually had lots of barbarian runs back in day where i used spears just for impaler for the lulz and was not disappointed, and then when i came back in chapter 6 i would build the wave halberd and use that, just for kicks

although to be honest not really a fan of wave because that extra 15 damage it does is cold damage and if it makes baddies explode you lose all the loot on said baddie, so i haven't been giving it much love since
    Michellegorgonzola
  • KuronaKurona Member Posts: 881
    sarevok57 said:

although to be honest not really a fan of wave because that extra 15 damage it does is cold damage and if it makes baddies explode you lose all the loot on said baddie, so i haven't been giving it much love since

You can avoid that by disabling gore. It's a bit sad to lose delicious chunking animation but we don't have TobEx for the EE :(
    gorgonzolaStummvonBordwehr
  • QuickbladeQuickblade Member Posts: 957
    Wait, we don't get loot for chunking?
    edited January 2019
    You do get loot for chunking but not for deaths caused by fire or cold. But since all of this is categorized as gore by the engine you can only disable the effects in bulk.
  • QuickbladeQuickblade Member Posts: 957
    edited January 2019
    Kurona said:

You do get loot for chunking but not for deaths caused by fire or cold. But since all of this is categorized as gore by the engine you can only disable the effects in bulk.

Hrm, interesting. Guess it's related to how exploding petrified critters don't drop loot either? (Which is at leas logical)
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,305
    Kurona said:

It's never been the case that you lost equipment to deaths caused by fire. That used to happen when a character was chunked by cold (or disintegration), but that's been changed in the latest EE so that equipment is not destroyed.
    KuronagorgonzolaStummvonBordwehr
    Oh, they changed it? That's good to know. Does only the equipment remain intact or are other items also spared?
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,305
    I think everything that could be dropped remains intact.
    Kurona
  • ReliantReliant Member Posts: 30
    Halberds are a great alternative to two handed swords.  The Ravager is devastating.  The Wave Halberd has its uses too.  Before I face off against Abazigal, I send Misc solo around the room to take out the frost salamanders.  One hit and they die.
    sarevok57ThacoBellgorgonzola