Skip to content

New Mod Install Tool - feedback request from Modders and Players

Comments

• ALIENALIEN Member Posts: 1,270
    edited February 2019
    Project Infinity Public BETA: https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/74335/project-infinity-public-beta

It's time to release "Project Infinity" ALPHA version :) Note to BWS users: at this time, there is no point to use this app.

Features:
    - should run :wink:
    - should work with ANY game version
    - being able to check for new version, display info and button to update
    - being able to scan folder with extracted mods and get "Readme", "Version"
    - being able to display weidu mods and their all components
    - being able to copy all selected mods into selected game folder
    - being able to sort all selected mods using own-defined install order, loaded from file
    - being able to install all selected mods using previously defined install order
    - being able to uninstall all mods from selected game
    - being able to create simple logs of mod directories, duplicated tp2 files

For all others, if you:
    -have lot of free time
    -use you own game backups or relay on Beamdog/Steam "Restore" or GoG
    -understand what ALPHA version means (rapid changes, broken features, crashes, incorrect results)
    -have fully updated Windows 7/8.1/10 64-bit
    -have fully updated games using official patches from official update channels/sites
    -always download and extract mods manually
    -install BWFixpack manually for mods extracted beforehand (or you are sure that mods you use doesn't need it)
    -never use mod compilations
    -install less than 100 mods
    -know how to setup proper install order for the mods which you use/install
    -know all components conflicts for the mods which you use/install

Then you may ask for "Project Infinity" ALPHA version, I will send you link via PM. Ofc you may ignore all above and apply anyway :P
    Post edited by ALIEN on
    anastielanotherdoctorThacoBellSumSineRegno
  • GwendolyneGwendolyne Member Posts: 461
    edited October 2018
    Does it handle all IE games, and not only EE ones?

Does it handle all IE games, and not only EE ones?

All of them.
  • southfla79southfla79 Member Posts: 214
    oooooh very nice. where can I find a link? :)
  • datachilddatachild Member Posts: 3
    With the alpha version on the way I don't know if my feedback is still usefull. At the same time my last install with BWS is maybe 1-2 years in the past so I don't know if there were updates to BWS that fixed my problems:

- First I wanted to add to the discussion that I personally liked the 'recommended' selection very much. This was especially true for my first install, but it also provided a solid baseline for nearly all future installations, even if I gradually deviated from the recommended setting. On the other hand nearly every other setting (tactic, etc.) was utterly useless for me.
    - During my installs I missed an option to change seemingly global variables for single mods. E.g. I usually enjoy English mods but with German being my native language there are some mods from german authors where the original language is preferable for me. Currently it is my understanding, that I either need to manipulate the translation files before installation, or stop the mod an install manually.
    - On this topic, what I really missed was the possibility to select single mods for a manual install within the context of BWS. Sure you could order BWS to stop before the installation of a single mod, install manually and resume. But afterwards BWS tried to install the mod anyway. In some cases this worked fine with BWS skipping the installation (WAD), sometimes (possibly due to bad install routines of the mod) BWS tried to install the mod(component) anyway throwing errors or even stopping the installation.
    - If the option to download the mod is still a thing, I really would like the possibility to change the source before starting the download/gathering process. This may be necessary, because I want to install an older version, a customized version or a new version of a mod, that is not officially available.
    - If the source of a download is git, the possibility to select the master branch, another specific branch or a specific release would be really helpful as well.
    - Now going into the realm of not really happening because of massive overhead. It would be nice to have the possibility to select older versions of mods at an specific date, by versioning the known mod sources in regular intervals. E.g. the "mod-universe" as it was at 01.01.2018. This way if I really need to reinstall my long running games (maybe with some additions) I would have another baseline (even if some sources aren't available, if not stored locally).
    - An more easy way to export, share and import mod selections and install routines. This may be an alternative to the afore mentioned recommended setting. While there are incredible good mods out there tested compilations of mods would be nice too. I'm thinking along the lines of a S.T.E.P guide from Skyrim. While I understand, that most senior modders and mod users frown about the thought of such compilations, since it takes responsibility and thereby possibility to develop away from the user, it is nevertheless a vehicle for beginners to get into the world of mods without being completely overwhelmed by the sheer number of available mods and there dependencies and problems. If such a guide existed in a given format, it would be nice to have it somehow directly linked with the installer regarding the selection of mods, necessary options and stops during the installation process while at the same time providing the user with an explanation what is happening and what is required next.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    I'll probably test this out when I get a computer again. Borrowing this one.
  • ArthasArthas Member Posts: 1,091
    question: did you base project infinity on project infinity?
    edited October 2018
    Arthas said:

question: did you base project infinity on project infinity?

@Arthas If you mean this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68dCiadUiBg then no :wink:
    AHAHAH @ALIEN sorry I miswrote. I meant BWP. Is it a "interface" for BWP or is it based on it in any way?
    Arthas said:

AHAHAH @ALIEN sorry I miswrote. I meant BWP. Is it a "interface" for BWP or is it based on it in any way?

@Arthas No, it's not based on BWP, the main idea comes from my 'Mod Template Generator" but "Project Infinity" uses the knowledge and experience from BWP, BWS and other things etc.
  • UlbUlb Member Posts: 295
    I'm not sure I've got this right..
    So the tool does have all the data on mod conflicts BWS/BWP have as of right now and will point out conflicts in my installation? (But it won't suggest which of the components/mods I should pick over the other, right?)
    Will it also update that kind of "meta data" as new conflicts/mods come to light or will it stay static?
    AFAIK there is currently no one willing to update the BWS much anymore, so the only source of updates on that kind of data seems to be Roxxane as of right now, but since she branched off here own BWS thing and had that weird multi-account thing going on, I assume there is no cooperation?
    edited October 2018
    @Ulb, it depends on what you wish to achieve.

If you wish to achieve total stability for BGT - go for BWP (I would tend to think the stability is even better then what you would get with the updated BWS )

If you wish to currently install mods for EE, you have to use BWS updated by Roxanne, but I had many issues with it.

And now comes a third choice, this mod.
    Post edited by Arthas on
    edited October 2018
    @Ulb Currently, it has only things which I've listed for ALPHA version. Lot of things are planned but they depends on modders support like providing metadata for their mods, removal of the READLN (or providing metadata for it) etc
    You are right when it comes to BWS: no updates and no cooperation with Roxanne.
    Post edited by ALIEN on
    Ulb
    @Arthas No you DON'T have to use Roxxanne's tool. That doesn't stop her and her several alternate accounts from saying that you need to though.
    I don't think she ever said she you *need* to use the EE forked version. However, it is currently the only maintained automated install tool for EE games. The original BWS hasn't been updated in a month. She's been updating the EE version pretty much daily as new updates/mods/etc are released.

As far as Alien's new tool. I tried out the Alpha and so far so good. Can't wait to see additional features added (recommended install orders/conflict management/etc).
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    ThacoBell
    Your first point - yes, it did need updating. There's a slew of G3 mods that were recently made EE compatible. She's updated them in the EE Tool. Nobody has updated the original BWS.

Regarding the install order change of SCS - it wasn't a snap decision. It was also never changed to the beginning of an install order. She moved it so it was before most kit additions and not every component was moved. If you bothered to take a look at the thread, there were long discussions about making the change. Incidentally, the install order can be tweaked by any user by editing the installorder.ini.

I've installed them both ways out of frustration with 12 hour long SCS installs and had no issues. Now? I move all components back where they were since it's now speedier with the unreleased update DavidW made.

In any event, this is hopefully all irrelevant assuming Alien's new tool is further developed and incorporates most of the BWS features.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited November 2018
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    ThacoBell
    edited November 2018

Incidentally, the install order can be tweaked by any user by editing the installorder.ini.

That is simply not true because BWS installorder.ini file is actually a 'list of mods which user can install' - any update will overwrite player changes. If you don't update, you will miss new/changed mods.

In any event, this is hopefully all irrelevant assuming Alien's new tool is further developed and incorporates most of the BWS features.

For my tool, install order has nothing to do with mods/components list and can be defined as one liners like "aTweaks *". So install order list can be compressed from 700 lines to 30 and it for most cases, it's unaffected by changes to component numbers/designated :smile: More info here: http://gibberlings3.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=29826
    Post edited by ALIEN on
    SumSineRegno
    You can edit the ini file whenever you want. You are correct in that you need to edit the ini whenever the files are updated. Granted not every user is going to do that but it is possible.
  • majbermajber Member Posts: 53
    Do you continue developing this mod/tool?
    majber said:

Do you continue developing this mod/tool?

Yes. If you want to try it, just send my PM.
    SumSineRegno
  • SumSineRegnoSumSineRegno Member Posts: 25
    Just wanted to say that I appreciate you developing this tool, and wait with great interest for the post alpha stage. I wish you the best of luck in your endeavour.
    edited January 2019
    I want to quickly respond to various feedback:

@cdx @MidnightRider00 @Anprionsa @Raduziel @AstroBryGuy @Anprionsa @ThacoBell @subtledoctor

You can install any kind of IE mod, even unreleased, for any IE game, no need to pause installation

Just point to the directory where you have extracted mods and PI will allow you to select mods/components which you want to install.

No build-in mod compilations but there is a easy way to create new or import already existing ones.

README links will be displayed if the mod has it.

Rely on internet links in the sense of BWS is not planned. Updating mods will still be possible.

File size check is not used, re-downloading of the full mod packages should not be problem anymore for supported websites. Alpha implementation of Delta-updates for mods is already working.

Custom BACKUP solution is not planned. Nothing can beat stability and reliability of Beamdog/Steam/GoG backups/game verification.

If you have more questions, just ask.
    ThacoBellTimbo0o0o0RaduzielLudwig_II
    edited January 2019
    datachild said:

- During my installs I missed an option to change seemingly global variables for single mods. E.g. I usually enjoy English mods but with German being my native language there are some mods from german authors where the original language is preferable for me. Currently it is my understanding, that I either need to manipulate the translation files before installation, or stop the mod an install manually.

@datachild It is not an easy task but I see what I can do. It won't be available before 1.0.0 release.
    @ALIEN I wanted to say thank you for the work you've put into this. I've been off the forums for a little bit, and haven't been playing lately, so sorry about not having more feedback for you.
    edited January 2019
    @ThacoBell Thanks! And don't worry, when I release public BETA, I will receive all kind of feedback :wink:
    Post edited by ALIEN on
    ThacoBell
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    @ALIEN - Will the new tool (eventually) be cross-platform, or is it Windows-only (i.e., built using a Windows-only framework like BWS, so cross-platform support is not possible)?
    edited January 2019
    @AstroBryGuy Quoted from: https://www.gibberlings3.net/forums/topic/29708-mod-action_readln-removal-brainstorming/?do=findComment&comment=263765

Powershell an a bit of c#, both open source and cross-platform :cooool:

so I'm not using "Windows-only" language.

Regarding cross-platform: if you thinking about "will it work on my mac?" that's long-term goal. If you talking about "It should work on Windows + macOS + Linux + Android + iOS" then it's impossible.
    Post edited by ALIEN on
    AstroBryGuy