Skip to content

Nwn coming to IOS!!!

StaranStaran Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 295
Since my Android thread was closed (and I don’t own an android device) how about I start a thread on what I am really stoked for; to play nwn on my IOS device.

So my first question is; how is that working out?
JuliusBorisovDeixterShawl33jpsweeney94StummvonBordwehr

Comments

• DeixterShawl33DeixterShawl33 Member Posts: 18
    I also had the same question and no eta yet on the release date for NWN on iOS which is bad.
  • TorgrimmerTorgrimmer Member Posts: 331
    There currently in the process of writing it to 64-bit to make it for iOS so its in the works.
  • jpsweeney94jpsweeney94 Member Posts: 93
    edited January 2019
    Definitely excited for this! But how will we download haks and what not to play on servers? And mod support? Hope those done get axed, otherwise may not be worth the purchase
  • StaranStaran Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 295
    “But how will we download haks and what not to play on servers? ”
    Very well, thank you for asking.

they could use the server hack pack application they created for persistent worlds.
    I forget the name of the app because they stopped doing streams.

My concern is the modules. In iOS, we have no access to our directory structure so how can I play a module from nw vault or the steam workshop?

Because that is the only thing I want.

I have a feeling it use the same persistent world hack downloaded feature, but as of the last comment from beamdog “we are not sure”.

Definitely excited for this! But how will we download haks and what not to play on servers? And mod support? Hope those done get axed, otherwise may not be worth the purchase

To do this you will need to have a PC Version prefer steam (my prefer lol) to do this take a cable and connect your phone/tablet to your PC and transfer the haks/files from the directories between the two to set up the serves and mods like you would on the PC on the Phone/tablet and there you go.

To do this you will need to have a PC Version prefer steam (my prefer lol) to do this take a cable and connect your phone/tablet to your PC and transfer the haks/files from the directories between the two to set up the serves and mods like you would on the PC on the Phone/tablet and there you go.
    The only way to do that on iOS is to mad haxxor it.
    Because most of the directories are not visible
  • DrakonDrakon Member Posts: 47
    edited January 2019
    iOS supports file directories so this is possible without "mad haxxor". You can't access/edit everything in the app, but that shouldn't stop most modules and haks. Beamdog can set up an iCloud Drive folder for NWN like other apps (iCloud will make it easy to download and install modules on a PC/Mac and automatically pull them into iOS without any cables). This NWN iCloud Drive folder will have the usual haks/override/ambient/etc named folders. Then they need to code the iOS port so that during loading phases it looks at those iCloud folders and uses them to override the default files and data inside the compiled app.
    jpsweeney94StummvonBordwehrTorgrimmer
    Drakon said:
    iOS supports file directories so this is possible without "mad haxxor". You can't access/edit everything in the app, but that shouldn't stop most modules and haks. Beamdog can set up an iCloud Drive folder for NWN like other apps (iCloud will make it easy to download and install modules on a PC/Mac and automatically pull them into iOS without any cables). This NWN iCloud Drive folder will have the usual haks/override/ambient/etc named folders. Then they need to code the iOS port so that during loading phases it looks at those iCloud folders and uses them to override the default files and data inside the compiled app.
    Yes, I thought of having an app like the steam workshop app that auto downloads everything to the cloud as the obvious solution.
    but the last time this was talked about in the streams they were not sure how to do it.
    of course, that was November so maybe they have an inkling now.

Staran said:
    Drakon said:
    Yes, I thought of having an app like the steam workshop app that auto downloads everything to the cloud as the obvious solution.
    but the last time this was talked about in the streams they were not sure how to do it.
    of course, that was November so maybe they have an inkling now.

First off remember guys it not out yet for iOS only Android right now. They need to first write NWN to 64-bit then they can make it to iOS systems. So hold your horses.

First off remember guys it not out yet for iOS only Android right now. They need to first write NWN to 64-bit then they can make it to iOS systems. So hold your horses.

Well, lack of information can only produce 2 things 1) rumors and 2) assumptions.

If beamdog has a blog that details this stuff and updates it regularly, sweet. Until then, all we can do is discuss.
    If not here, where?
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    The work is underway. Before, livestreams had been designed for regular updates, but the decision was made to spend more time on development.

Updates will appear when they're ready. Check out the recent thread in this forum category, for example.
  • DeixterShawl33DeixterShawl33 Member Posts: 18
    I’m not being rude or anything but how long do I have to wait for this game to come out on iOS because I just hate waiting.
    I’m not being rude or anything but how long do I have to wait for this game to come out on iOS because I just hate waiting.

Last May on the trello boards they said it would take 6 months.
    But I am getting the impression that do not have the resources anymore.
    They are focused on axis and allies.
  • StummvonBordwehrStummvonBordwehr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,343
    The game has to be ported to 64 bit before they can make it work for iOS. The 64 bit port will happen no matter what, so its just a matter of time.

They ported the IE games to 64 bit, but that took a while. Patience will your best friend, but they will make it happen in the end.
    JuliusBorisovDrakon
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    Staran wrote: »

Last May on the trello boards they said it would take 6 months.
    But I am getting the impression that do not have the resources anymore.
    They are focused on axis and allies.

Please check out the blog entry from February. The teams on AAO and NWN:EE are completely different. The NWN:EE team is working on the new renderer & 64bit.
    JFKjpsweeney94
  • jpsweeney94jpsweeney94 Member Posts: 93
    edited March 2019
    ^glad to hear it! my question is will i be able to download my steam version of the game to my ipad?? That way i have all my server vault chars tied to my public key for PWs. otherwise i wont have access to the same chars on the ipad right? which would be undesirable for PWs...

otherwise some way to change the public key to match my PC version of the game?

thanks
    The iOS port of NWN:EE is in progress. We don’t have an ETA yet, but it is being actively worked on, as well as updates to the Android version in parallel.
    StummvonBordwehr
    The iOS port of NWN:EE is in progress. We don’t have an ETA yet, but it is being actively worked on, as well as updates to the Android version in parallel.
    No eta? Not even a quarter?
    Not a “before end of 2019”?
    The progress is that murky?
  • MythrinnMythrinn Member Posts: 42
    I was wondering if this is still being ‘actively worked on’ and ‘in progress’? If so, I can wait, but I’m about played out of the other EE games right now. I have an iPad Pro that has all but replaced my MacBook Pro for the time being. Any updates would be appreciated, even if it’s just a nod that it’s still being actively worked on. Thanks.
    JuliusBorisov
    Yes, this is still being actively worked on.
    StummvonBordwehrjackjack
    Yes, this is still being actively worked on.

Thank you. This information is appreciated. I will bide my time till I can revisit NWN in all its glory.

JuliusBorisovStummvonBordwehrjackjack
  • PPM2020PPM2020 Member Posts: 1
    We're much closer now to the completion of the iOS version.

Any timing yet? I am waiting eagerly ?

jpsweeney94jackjack
    I am also waiting eagerly for this. I have the entire EE library on my iPad Pro.... I just need NWN to finish the collection. Hopefully soon.
    PPM2020StummvonBordwehrjackjack
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    I assume the quarantine pushed this back. But is there still a chance for 2020?
    StummvonBordwehr
  • Peter_JohnsonPeter_Johnson Member Posts: 36
    Well, from my experiences with Beamdog releases in general - they do not keep deadlines (so they do not give them anymore), but they DO deliver in the end. So just a bit of patience is needed.
    JuliusBorisov
This discussion has been closed.