Skip to content

Where to sell wands?

JLEJLE Member Posts: 58
There's a whole load of shops that you used to be able to sell all sorts of items to, that you now can't sell those items.

In particular, I noticed it's almost impossible to sell a Wand of any kind anywhere - except to Sorcerous Sundries and High Hedge. So many shops used to buy them, and now don't.

I'll admit this is annoying because now I can't find anywhere to sell a wand, that I could later *steal* it back from. Why was this changed? I always used to sell them to Maltz's shop just south of the Elfsong tavern, or to the Nashkel Inn, and there were a couple of other useful ones...

(I'm entirely okay with not being able to steal from a fence, but I don't have a problem with being able to sell things to a general store and then steal them back before selling them to a fence - or indeed, using them.)

Comments

• Very_BigSwordVery_BigSword Member Posts: 222
    The other vendor that takes wands in earlier chapters is the vendor at Durlags Tower exterior. Can't remember offhand but he might be a fence as well?

It is kind of broken to be able to steal a wand back fully recharged (or other limited charge items) so understandable that none of the vendors that can be stolen from will buy wands by default. There are many wands to collect and it is easy enough to generate funds for sell and buy back when needing to recharge if you are willing to spend the time.

Mods can make the shopkeepers more "accepting of diversity" like Tweaks Anthology. This will enable wand stealing if you need it to be made quick and dirty, or console in some gold and drop some potions of master thievery to simulate a sale-and-steal-back scenario. I do a similar simulation shortcut (Baeloth lol) in the early part of the game. At Nashkel I give the party 1,000 gold and same again at bandit camp. This saves the time and inventory management on all the bows, bastard swords, splint mails and necklaces that I could have picked up and sold. Same outcome without all the tedious tasks that I had perfected in previous runs.

Blackraven
  • LammasLammas Member Posts: 211
    Hm, I should know this but for some reason my mind is coming out pretty blank right now. My last 2 playthroughs were basically riding on wand recharging.

From chapter 5 I'm pretty sure you can sell wands to some of the storekeeps in Gate besides Sorcerous Sundries, just can't remember who. I'd check lucky aello and silence first but it might have just been one of the general storekeeps for some reason. I haven't ever sold her anything as far as I remember but Black Lily in thieves guild too maybe?

Before chapter 5 I think the guy in Durlag's tower buys them as was already mentioned. Maybe the guy in carnival that is selling some magical stuff? It would actually be pretty nice to get a list of wand vendors. Maybe I'll make one on my next playthrough but that's going to be far in the future.

If you're just looking to sell and not necessarily recharge then high hedge and sorcerous sundries work for that. The game gives you so much money from selling magical stuff you don't need that looking to get extra profits from steal-reselling is rather pointless besides maybe trying to get Taerom's stuff super early.
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,305
    I tend to use the vendor at Ulgoth's Beard if I want to recharge wands.  His selection includes only a single wand of frost, so if you buy that one you can then sell and buy any wand and get it back fully charged.
    StummvonBordwehrTorgrimmer
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    JLE said:
    There's a whole load of shops that you used to be able to sell all sorts of items to, that you now can't sell those items.

In particular, I noticed it's almost impossible to sell a Wand of any kind anywhere - except to Sorcerous Sundries and High Hedge. So many shops used to buy them, and now don't.

I'll admit this is annoying because now I can't find anywhere to sell a wand, that I could later *steal* it back from. Why was this changed? I always used to sell them to Maltz's shop just south of the Elfsong tavern, or to the Nashkel Inn, and there were a couple of other useful ones...

(I'm entirely okay with not being able to steal from a fence, but I don't have a problem with being able to sell things to a general store and then steal them back before selling them to a fence - or indeed, using them.)
    you must have had mods installed previously because the shop keeper in naskiel had never bought wands ( at least in the vanilla or EE games ) if you wish to sell them before chapter 5 your options are:

buddy outside of durlag's tower
    holmes at high hedge
    bently at the friendly arm inn ( perhaps this is what you meant by nashkiel inn )
    shop keep at ulgoth's beard

so lots of easy access before chapter 5 to sell your wands to

when i hit chapter 5 the ONLY shop i ever use is the sorcerus sundries because i like keeping all of my items in one shop if i can, just in case i sold something by accident and need to buy it back 
    Skatan
  • LammasLammas Member Posts: 211
    "bently at the friendly arm inn ( perhaps this is what you meant by nashkiel inn )"

This is what I was gambling around for when I said Carnival. I was sure there was someone around and just couldn't pinpoint who the heck it was.
    sarevok57
  • StummvonBordwehrStummvonBordwehr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,343
    Grond0 said:

I tend to use the vendor at Ulgoth's Beard if I want to recharge wands.  His selection includes only a single wand of frost, so if you buy that one you can then sell and buy any wand and get it back fully charged.

I use the store in Ulgoth Beard as well. As I recall they put more charges into most wands than other stores - so its worth the trip
    TorgrimmerBlackraven
  • JLEJLE Member Posts: 58
    Hm. I found the vendor at the unnamed store on the S side of Baldur's Gate SW - you can sell wands to him, and steal them back too (once). That was what I was looking for.
    StummvonBordwehr