Skip to content

Dual Class Thieves don't gain constitution bonuses on their 10th Level 1d6 hit die

DhariusDharius Member Posts: 654
I have a human dual classed Beserker (9)/Thief (10), Gorris, who has 18 CON and is playing under max hit points per level.

At Level 9/9 he had 126 HP (9x14), but at Level 9/10 he has only 132 HP (he should have 134 HP, as he should have gained 8 HP (6+2) at Level 10 for Thief class)?

I also have a Level 11 Bard, Felicia, with 16 CON under the same settings - she has 82 HP, which appears correct, as at Level 10 she had 10x (6+2) i.e. 80 hit points. So this problem doesn't appear to occur for Bards.

I've not checked this for single class mages or single class thieves, which also gain a hit die at Level 10, so can't confirm if they get their constitution bonuses at Level 10. Similarly I haven't checked multi classed thieves.

NB: IIRC, in the original IWD/HoW this was a problem for ALL classes that experience 10 hit dice over 10 levels - i.e.bards, mages and thieves: none of them got constitution bonuses at Level 10, which does not agree with 2nd Edition D&D, or any of the original or enhanced BG games (I think).

PS I've also checked Kirika, a multi class Fighter (8)/Thief (10) with 16 CON under the same conditions - she has 88 HP which is correct, so it doesn't seem to be a problem for her.
Post edited by Dharius on

Comments

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    Torgrimmer
  • DhariusDharius Member Posts: 654
    Thanks, from reading  the page Gorris should have 134HP = (9x14)+(1x8) at Thief Level 10, but mine has 132 HP, having gained only 6HP at Level 10 (i.e. the constitution bonus hasn't been applied at level 10).

Also I think there's a mistake on Page 365 of the manual - it says "Constitution applies as normal" - but once the flat rate of HP occurs at Level 10 (or Level 11 for mages/Bards/thieves), any Constitution bonuses/penalties should no longer apply.

(I think ;) )
    Torgrimmer
    edited January 2019
    PS I just found this, which seems to apply in BG2EE:

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/70525/constitution-and-dual-classing

This isn't how I'd interpret the rules (I would give the constitution bonus at Level 10), but it seems from that thread that this is how it's been implemented in the Infinity Engine games. This would explain why my Bard has the bonus at level 10, but the dual class character doesn't.
    Torgrimmer
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    If you think there's a bug, and have a repro case, please report at support.baldursgate.com so that we could investigate and log.
    Dharius
    Thanks, I think I won't log it, as judging by the other thread, it appears to be a matter of debate.
    JuliusBorisovTorgrimmerGrond0