Skip to content

Monster saving throws in Legacy of Bhaal not correctly calculated?

I've been checking monster stats with ctrl+q in LOB mode, and I saw something weird.
The saving throws of all monsters are +5 instead of -5.

For example a lesser basilisk on core has: 11/13/12/13/14
While on LOB this becomes: 16/18/17/18/19
I would expect them to be 5 lower than on core instead of 5 higher: 6/8/7/8/9

All monsters seem effected by this.
Am I on to something, or am I missing something here?

Comments

• Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,317
    I haven't used spells much on monsters in v2.5, but a quick test suggests you're correct ;).

@JuliusBorisov has anyone raised this as a bug? If I had to guess what's happened it would be that someone decided to change the mechanic for making the +5 adjustment and didn't do that correctly:
    - in earlier versions the adjustment was done by leaving the saving throw unchanged, but adding 5 to the dice roll
    - in this version it looks like it was decided to alter the saving throw itself rather than the dice roll. However, that should have been done by reducing the saving throw and it appears it's been increased instead.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    Not yet. @jaypee Can you please zip and attach your save at support.baldursgate.com (for example, before fighting a basilisk) for investigation?
  • jaypeejaypee Member Posts: 47
    I've created a support ticket:
    https://support.baldursgate.com/issues/38746
  • histamiinihistamiini Member Posts: 1,437
    It's not monsters only, I think it's all enemies. Just checked Sarevok and he should've -4,-4,-4,-4,-4 on LoB, but he has 6,6,6,6,6.
    The way the saving throw adjustment is implemented at the moment is to add 5 to the die roll in LoB. Thus looking at stats Sarevok should have all 1s, but that effectively becomes -4 through the die roll. However, the base stats have mistakenly been increased by 5 making them all 6s.
    Grond0 wrote: »
    The way the saving throw adjustment is implemented at the moment is to add 5 to the die roll in LoB. Thus looking at stats Sarevok should have all 1s, but that effectively becomes -4 through the die roll. However, the base stats have mistakenly been increased by 5 making them all 6s.
    Damn that's complicated, even if I use CTRL+Q, it isn't showing right saving throws in the stats window?

I'm not sure to be honest. The saving throws for all enemies have been increased by 5, but if you recruit one of them it's no longer an enemy, so I don't know what would show - I'm sure you could experiment to find out though :p.
  • the_sexteinthe_sextein Member Posts: 711
    edited February 2019
    With the enemy AC being lowered to levels that cannot be hit in BG1 without a lucky 20, I find this saving throws bug to be the only way of actually playing it. You have to spam wands until your mages are high enough level to abuse the enemy saving throws bug. Couple this with the game breaking path finding bugs that were introduced with 2.5 and the game isn't really playable for me. I can't believe they have left the game in this state for 6 months now. A quick fix should have been applied. A small mod team could have fixed this in a matter of days. Larloc's minor drain doesn't work either and that breaks the weapon foebane. I have more serious problems now than when 2.0 was released. I thought this was supposed to be patched before the end of last year? Why are we waiting for a portrait pack that is totally unrelated to the base game that people have already paid for? I hate to sound like a grouch but I can't play the game that I already paid for and LOB is one of the major things that EE adds to the game that I find value in.
    Post edited by the_sextein on
    edited February 2019
    Grond0 wrote: »
    I'm not sure to be honest. The saving throws for all enemies have been increased by 5, but if you recruit one of them it's no longer an enemy, so I don't know what would show - I'm sure you could experiment to find out though :p.
    I think CTRL+Q should show the realtime value, as it shows calculated enemy hp too. I had a feeling something was wrong because Charm was working so well against everybody. Just checked Bel and he has 7,9,8,7,10, now is time for the mages to finish him. :D