Skip to content

My party has a lot of damage resistance for Normal difficulty

DhariusDharius Member Posts: 654
I've started a new game and my party members seem to have inherent damage resistance on Normal difficulty. It's nice - but I'm not sure it should be happening. They aren't under the effects of any buffing spells e.g.:

* Duergar hits Imoen with an axe - 6 hit points of slashing damage (2 resisted)
* Imoen accidentally hits Jaheira with a lightning bolt - 9 points of electrical damage (6 resisted).

Does anyone know what's going on? Cheers

Comments

• KhyronKhyron Member Posts: 627
    That does seem odd.. have you tried toggling on/off the "no additional damage from difficulty bla bla" thingy in the options?

It shouldn't affect this at all, since it's on normal.. but.. you know.. the infinity engine is dark and full of (t)errors.
  • Humanoid_TaifunHumanoid_Taifun Member Posts: 1,055
    Have you read the description of Normal Difficulty? You only take 75% damage.
    8*75%=6 (2 resisted)
    I just tried it out and the way you describe it is actually how it's displayed in my game.

However, 15*75%≈12 (really, 11.75)
    Does Jaheira have other sources for resistance to electricity?
  • DhariusDharius Member Posts: 654
    edited February 2019
    Thanks for the feedback. The odd thing is that for the first time in any game that I remember, the damage resisted is mentioned in the message screen, in brackets, after the damage done. I don’t recall ever seeing this before, as you say it may be a condition of Normal difficutly, but IIRC any damage resisted wasn’t mentioned in the message screen.

Jaheira has no electrical reistance magic or spells active, and the reductions apply to all types of damage taken. I’m going to start a new game to compare, and I’ll have look at the difficulty slider thingies.
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    i believe starting around v2 or so of the bgee games it was implemented where if you had damage resistance it would show up like it does in IWD

through out patches/the EEs beamdog has been kind of welding the two games together, taking mechanics from one game and putting them into another sort of speak
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • DhariusDharius Member Posts: 654
    Thanks for all the feedback. I was confused by these new blanket resistances messages coming up in game, and frankly don’t like them much. But they are what they are I guess....
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,318
    edited February 2019
    I think the reason for the higher apparent electrical resistance is the way the text reports the combination of 2 effects - the 25% resistance from playing on normal and the standard chance to take only 50% of damage from lightning bolt if you save.

The calculations would be:
    - basic potential damage 24
    - reduced by normal difficulty by 25% (hence resistance shown as 6)
    - saved against half of remaining 18 potential (hence damage shown of 9)